close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I have to buy new door locks now

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by teweekley, Jan 1, 2013.

1. teweekley

teweekley

My best friend from high school was over for the new year. He showed me a $15 lock pick kit that he keeps in his wallet (I mentioned to him he probably wouldn't want to get caught with that in his pocket if he got in trouble for something). In the past, I've read about how to pick locks and how locks work in general. He loaned the set to me to try out on locks around the house. The first and only lock I tried was my front door. To my surprise, I unlocked it in under a minute!:wow: I'm thinking to myself, "Okay, this is not cool. Time to buy newer locks." The locks on my doors are the older type with the popout knob, but are of the 5 tumbler pin type. It's time to replace them anyways.

2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Here's a hint...you will NOT find the type of locks you are looking for at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any of the other big box stores. Go to a locksmith or two and get some solid advice.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I'd rather my locks get picked than my door kicked in. Locks are to keep the honest people honest.

4. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Know the brand or model number of the kit?

I'd like to try my hand at it.

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Medeco locks, made in Virginia (a proud right to work state).:patriot:

6. crnama

crnama CLM

Good luck finding a lock you can't pick. Even the Medeco locks can be picked just go to youtube and you can see it being done. When we moved into our new house I wanted to get some good locks for the doors and reinforce the door jambs. Like others said locks are there only to slow someone down if they want in they will get in it is only a matter of time.

7. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

replace the doors , locks dont mean squat , get a high security reinforced door with pins .

costly thou

8. The Fed

The Fed

You guys are way behind the times. Never heard of bump keys?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ"]Bump Key HOWTO - YouTube[/ame]

9. Gunny Lingus

Gunny Lingus Think it moved

Read up on lock bumping and bump key before you buy. It's a technique that picks a lock very quickly.

10. The Fed

The Fed

Here's a better explanation for those who don't know how works work. My brother was a locksmith and I play around with locks when necessary.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH_t0u5Ybg&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]Pick a Lock in SECONDS with a Bump Key - Scam School - YouTube[/ame]

11. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I had a neighbor that bought a very, very expensive front and rear door with top of the line locks. For the safety of his family.

He seemed to not realize that his front door had a foot-wide piece of glass, floor to ceiling, on each side of it.

>> He was the same guy, after he bought the doors, that I bet I could get into his house in two minutes, without using tools (or breaking his front door glass).

He accepted the bet until he found out that I was going to pull down some vinyl siding, move some fluffy insulation out of the way and push through the drywall into his kitchen. >>

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

That's why I have these big plywood things hanging inside and above every door with big spikes that swing down when the door is opened. Overkill? I think not. Come on in mister handy key man...

-Jack Handy (not).

13. teweekley

teweekley

Sorry, can't help you with the brand or model. My buddy said he bought it online for $15. Here's a picture of it if you want to search it out. It's the size of a credit card and about as thick as three stacked cards.

[​IMG]

14. NorthernAlpine

NorthernAlpine RLTW

The # of people who can actually pick a Medeco is absurdly small, despite what Youtube would have you believe. They are more expensive but work only as well as your door is solid.

Call a locksmith and ask him if he carries modified/anti-pick pins for your brand of locks you currently have installed. You can keep the same locks, same keys, and just have 2-3 new pins installed on your doors. Should save you enough to buy door reinforcement kits for your doors.

The reality is though, is entry to your house via a broken window just as easy? If someone wants to get in, they're going to get in.

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

get an alarm that has a battery and cell phoen back up....

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

You have completely ignored the romex barrier at knee level

17. G17Jake

G17Jake

At the last apartment I lived in, a woman from an apartment upstairs from me asked to use my phone because she was locked out.

I asked her if she locked the deadbolt. She said no, just the lock in the doorknob. I told her she didn't need a key.

We went upstairs to her door, and with a credit card I opened her door probably faster than she could have with the key.

I told her I always lock the deadbolt and recommended she does too. She agreed.

18. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Why would somebody have such a kit on them at all times? That just screams CRIMINAL!

19. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

It's pointless to spend a ton of money on door locks without addressing the strength of every penetration in your structure: doors, windows, gable end vents, skylights, etc.

Any average-sized person could kick in the typical residential door, even with a deadbolt, if they know where to focus the pressure. You're not going to keep people out.

The best you can do is secure the most important stuff inside. Rather than hardening every entry point, you'll save tens of thousands of dollars just buying a decent safe.

I have such a kit with me almost all the time. I'm in building maintenance, on-call every 6 weeks and since I live in the same small city in which I work, I'm often called in out of convenience. Like guns, lock picks are just tools. How they are used is up to the owner.