I have the answer to Toyota's gas pedal problem!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

This is just crazy enough to work.

It's a three step process.

1. Shift into neutral
    2. Stomp on the brake
    3. Coast to a stop

There you have it.

2. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Too much like common sense.....it'll never catch on.

3. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

MOST dummies will probably turn the ignition off, not realizing they lose the ability to steer and possibly brake sooner! :whistling:

4. sputnik767

sputnik767

If you turn the key back one notch, you will still have steering. I have no problem applying enough force to the brake pedal to stop the car if it loses power, but I can see how it may be a problem for others. Still, having cars stall while driving is not all that uncommon, and you have enough brake booster (vacuum) available for 1 to 2 brake applications. Just be ready to apply more force to turn the wheel and push the brake.

5. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

If you are too dumb to figure that one out....

...I believe it is called natural selection.

6. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

I know this and I'm sure, most people who are into cars know this but the majority of the humanoids don't and those are the ones that will panic in that kind of situation!

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

Unless you are that moron cop from the first incident with the Lexus, where the first logical step is to call 911 while about to blow through a red light intersection at 120 mph.

8. lee2

lee2

how about trading your toyota for a honda.:supergrin:

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

That is true. Most people don't have the common sense to read and actually comprehend the owner's manual, which fully explains the various features of the car and how they function. I am pretty sure these emergency procedures are outlined. I know a guy who did not know what the N position on his gear selector stood for :faint:

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Some of these wrecks happened way too fast. Also there was a driver on I-80 who lost control of all systems. Everything on the car was drive by wire. Even shifting into neutral or park did nothing because the shift lever was just a switch on the electronic transmission with no mechanical link. He had tried to"chip" his car for more power and just messed up the computer.

11. sputnik767

sputnik767

I'm curious as to what car he had, because I'm sure that your typical production car has a physical linkage to the transmission. Of course, if the worst happens, and you lose complete control over your car, you still have your steering wheel, you brakes, and your ignition switch. And according to car and driver magazine, who tested the camry's stopping distance with the throttle wide open, the camry still stopped 16 feet better than a Taurus with no throttle applied. I can try to find the link if anyone cares. Which doesn't surprise me, every Ford we've had or tested, was equipped with horrible brakes. Unless you pump the brakes, the car will stop. There is really no reason for these people to raise such a stink.

12. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Whoever these whiny Toyota owners are have never driven some of the crap I've owned. I know there's plenty of us out there who have had old stuff with sticky throttle cables. I had one old truck that was so bad it was practically cruise control.

13. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I had a 1974 Subaru DL wagon with a throttle cable from the pedal to the carburetor.

When it was about 4 years old, the throttle stuck while my wife was driving at highway speed (65).

She pushed in the clutch pedal and the engine over revved and blew the head gaskets before she could get it off to the side of rode and shut it off.

Those older models did not have rev limiters built into them.

14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Pulling the catapult lever would be much easier IMO :whistling:

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Well I have a better answer. :supergrin:

This:
    [​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

16. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Most cars do have a physical linkage to the transmission but many do not. The Prius has a mechanical linkage for the brakes and steering but the shifter, ignition switch and accelerator are all electronic. The same is true for many of the newest Lexus models. Also, according to the official website the Nissan Leaf is going to have drive-by-wire steering:wow:. I tend to think that's BS though. In any case and as you pointed out, the brakes should be sufficient to stop a car with the throttle stuck wide open. As long as you are stepping on the correct pedal.

17. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

How classy :upeyes:

18. Deamer

Deamer

From what I remember reading about that incident he was in a rental car with the push button ignition. He did not know you have to push and hold the button down to do an emergency shutdown. I believe the brakes were completly melted down too. The shift by wire transmission was probably part of it also.

He might have tried the mentioned actions before he called 911.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:That would work but it is the same as the Firestone tires that blew up when overloaded. It was too much to require people to check tire pressure when over loading vehicles. Same thing as the pedals. The pedals were a bit too long and the people can't think...so boom accident.

20. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Unfortunately, many people will freeze when faced with an emergency. This can be the second phase of a disaster in progress. That's why in the military they drill it into people to "Don't just stand there, do something, do anything even if it is wrong, DO SOMETHING!