I have sworn off eating at social events

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by NRA_guy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I have sworn off eating at those wine and cheese social events unless there is a place where I can sit down . . . and there never is.

I have just had it with 25 or 30 folks standing around making chit-chat while holding a wine glass in their left hand, a little 6-inch plate in their right hand with a few appetizers on it.

Now here is my question: How the heck are you expected to eat? I don't have a third hand. Don't know anybody who does.

There's never any place (e.g., furniture) on which to set your drink. (Now I'm seeing tall stemware wine glasses with no flat bottom at all! Completely useless! You can only set them down in some kind of holder. What's the point with those anyway?)

Of course, there are always a few who stand around the table with drink in hand circling the table and eating from the serving plates. This works logistically, but seems like rather bad etiquette.

Last week I attended one for office workers and (as I have sworn to do) I was only drinking. I ended up holding the drink of a lady who faced the same 3rd hand dilemma while she ate a few bites.

It's positively ridiculous.

NRA_guy

2. Zeebrahed

Zeebrahed Metal Patriot Millennium Member

Cup your hand around the top of the glass with your thumb and forefinger, your "OK" fingers perpendicular to the rim. Place plate on hand, and chow down. Simply remove plate with eat'n hand and drink...repeat...

works for me!

3. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Insert face into plate. Pick up food with mouth. Eat. Repeat.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

That would work;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

5. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

You could wow the crowd with one of these!
    ;f

[​IMG]

6. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Great suggestions, all!! Thanks.

"Face in the plate" usually follows "drinking from the spiked punch bowl" and comes after the non-fun people leave and only the really hard-core partiers remain.

Actually, sometimes I just stop by Wendy's on the way so I'm not even tempted to even try . . .

NRA_guy