I have five different barrels for my G29 each zeros differently

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by davethehiker, Nov 28, 2017.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

First I have the stock barrel that came with the G29. Because I fire hot ammo and had the slide milled and fitted with an RMR red dot I discovered that hot 10mm ammo overpowers the little stock barrel. The bullets were all over the place and I cold not zero the RMR.

Next I bought KKM match barrel. That worked and I got enough spin (or what ever is going on) to get very tight groups and I was able to zero the RMR.

I figured more is better so I bought a Lone Wolf 6 inch match barrel. This works very well the bullets develop full rated velocity. The groups are even a little tighter. It's almost becomes a G40, but not as heavy. This would be my choice for hunting but NOT CC because the long barrel is difficult to CC.

I also bought a 10mm to .40 caliber conversion barrel. This works remarkably well! 40 caliber is a lot less expensive than 10mm and the recoil feels almost the same to me. This is an economical way to practice.

I also bought a ported barrel that extends slightly beyond slide and has two ports/vents on the top of the barrel. I thought this might reduce flip, but I can't say I notice a difference. I have two problems with this barrel.
    1) Those two slots provide a place for the lanyard on my trigger holster (like a MIC) to get hung up on.
    2) I have experienced FTF with this barrel! It's happened too many times when I using this ported barrel.

Re-zeroing the weapon every time I switch barrels burns through ammo and is a waste of time. I decided to take a photo of the setting needed on my RMR for each of my barrels. This also works very well, saving time and money. I have attached a few examples of the photos of settings I use for zeroing various barrels.
    RMR zeroring compensated.jpg
    LoneWolf10mmto40cal.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    TX.G30 and happie2shoot like this.
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

User a chamber laser bore sighter, makes quick work out of sighting dots. I use the SightMark on my Open guns.

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

Thanks. I'm not sure if I can get a "laser bore sighter for short barrels? I just found a problem with depending on photos of the red dot settings. I just returned for shooting on my range. The dial was set to almost vertical on the vertical red dot adjustment. The photo showed that it had to horizontal for the barrel I was putting in. I knew I had to turn the adjustment 90 degrees but I was not sure which way to turn it (CW or CCW). I discovered that I turned it the wrong way when the round hit six inches too high. I then turned it 180 degrees and the second round hit hit the were I was aiming.

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Dot adjustment is same as front sight in direction. If impact is high the dot has to go higher to push impact down. Lasers work just fine for short barrels

5. davethehiker

davethehiker

I took your advice and placed my order. Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 12.36.07 PM.png

6. Taz

Taz

It’s not surprising to have to zero each barrel. They are mechanical things and have tolerances when made. Like the idea of the pics as a reference. Are you also zeroing your irons at the same time or leave it be?

7. powernoodle

powernoodle

That's what happens when you can't stop buying barrels.

8. davethehiker

davethehiker

I adjusted my son's G-40 rear sight last week. We removed his stock sights and replaced them with "Suppressor" sights. I have RMRs on my G23, G27, and G29. When I mount my suppressor sight I just try to center the rear sight as close as I can. After that the red dot is my aiming device. I use the front sight as an aid to get on target, but once the red dot pops into view I ignore the "iron" sights. No, I make no effort to match my iron sight(s) to the barrel.

This was my son's first RMR. Like me and a lot of other people, he got into his head that he had to co-witness the iron sights and the red dot on the target. I had had a hard time convincing him that it's okay (best) to ignore the iron sights after the red dot is on target. I'm still not sure that he is convinced. He will figure it out after he fires a few hundred rounds. My iron sights serve as a backup aiming system if the red dot fails. For the most part they are just an aid to quickly find the red dot.

9. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

The only pistol I ever owned with a dot optic was a double stack Para. I didn't even have sights on it. My plan was to just not shoot it if the dot failed, but I can't recall that happening.

10. DrewBone

DrewBone

Simple solution: buy a separate dedicated slide and optic for each barrel.

Oh wait...you were using .40S&W for 10mm practice, so I guess the above suggestion isn't...LOL.

11. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

You have discovered the reason for adjustable sights.

davethehiker likes this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

:eyelashes:

13. davethehiker

davethehiker

My .40 caliber sighting LASER arrived. In general I would call it a waste of my time and money. They are not made with enough precision to zero the weapon. I trusted it and re-zerored my RMR. The bullets were hitting six inches away from the bulls eye at about 50 feet. I rezeroed back to where the grouping is less than a half an inch from that same distance using about 20 rounds of ammo. Taking a photo of the setting on the RMR works. The LASER bullet does not work with any degree of accuracy.

ironhead7544 likes this.
  14. davethehiker

davethehiker

In the interest of full disclosure, I tryed to use the SightMark LASER bullet in both my 10mm Glock 29 and .40 caliber Glock 23. In both cases the thing simply did not work. The guns are zeroed very accurately but the SightMark LASER dot does not align with the red dot in my RMR that I know is very well zeroed in. In the case of the 10mm, I wound a very turns of thin tape around the front on the LASER so it was snug in the barrel. This was not needed with .40 caliber but neither one worked. I could send it back to Amazon but it not worth my time.