I have decided........Shield 45 !

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Border Bandit 32, Aug 23, 2019.

1. zaitcev

zaitcev

I'm not particularly skilled, but I timed Glock 42 and Shield 45 back to back with 5-round groups within the 5" at 5 yards (5x5x5). Shield is slower by exactly 10.0% in my hands. It just takes this much more time for me to return it into the sight box, where I can start the release and squeeze cycle again.

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

If you like the Shield 45, you'd have probably loved the CS45. The Hogue grips (even though giving it a somewhat chunky grip girth) soaked up the felt recoil, and the short & fast-cycling slide (3.25" barrel) made the front sight snap back forward on target in a very pleasantly brisk manner. Almost abrupt.

You only had a choice of TDA (DA/SA) or DAO, though, and the specially modified mags were only 6rds. (The 6rd mags used for the early 4513 lacked the added set of indentations under the lips the engineers determined were needed for the increased recoil for the smaller CS45.)

The Shield 45 grip frame does have the arguable advantage (for many) of being slimmer and with a more rounded grip, though.

3. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I will definitely look into this!

All I want is for my magazines not to fall out of the gun while I'm shooting it! :) LOL

4. vista461

vista461

I use 230grn HST.
    I find the recoil is between the 9 & 40 shields.

Mine has been 100% with all ammo from good stuff to aluminum case federal from Walmart.

5. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

230gr HST here too.

fflincher likes this.
  6. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

What is a good price for the Shield 45? Found it for $379.99 at Palmetto Armory

fflincher likes this.
  7. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

HST 230 gr in all my 45s.

Border Bandit 32 likes this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle

Pro tip about the Shield 45: the nutty serrations on the stripper rail (that rail inside the slide directly above the magazine) are supposed to be there. Don't send it back to S&W like I did. Yes, it grinds like a rat tail file on the top cartridge, but I guess S&W knows what they are doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At least one internet dude ground off his serrations.

fastbolt likes this.
  9. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

Thanks for the info bro !

powernoodle likes this.
  10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, the unique machined scallops on the bottom of the pickup rail (what they now call a scalloped stripper bolt) are supposed to be there. They reportedly help keep the top round positioned within the mag lips, and not jumping forward, during the robust recoil impulse in the little Shield 45.

This was recognized as an issue in the early CS45, too, except in that subcompact .45 the engineers decided to incorporate an added set of pressed indentations near (overlapping) the rear/bottom corner of the regular pressed indentations in .45 mag bodies, to help keep the top round from being displaced forward from the lips during recoil in the little 20.5oz .45.

How "smooth" it may feel to manually retract the slide over a full magazine stack doesn't mean it's going to matter during the brisk and heavy recoil & cycling of live-fire. ;) After all, it's certainly not uncommon to feel a "catch" as the rim of a .45ACP cartridge being manually extracted from the chamber hits and momentarily hangs up against the leading sharp case mouth of the top round in the magazine.

Live-fire can "forgive" or "overlook" many things that may be noticed during slowly manually cycling a slide (hopefully using Dummy rounds, to avoid OOPS moments), but you don't want to do any "fixes" that might actually end up interfering with the necessary feeding "timing" in live-fire.

powernoodle likes this.
  11. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

12. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

13. China boy

China boy

When ever I see a Shield 45 I kick myself for not getting one. I love my Shield 9mm. The 45 would be nice.

14. Bluescot

Bluescot

I like both the Gold Dot and the HST in my .45's which include a Shield. I own Shields 1.0 in all calibers and find the I like the 45 a whisper better and shoot it the most accurate.

For woods travel I like a Shield 45 with some hot 230g reloads in a OWB holster to work extremely well.

15. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

Think I wil go with the 230gr gold dot short barrel

dukeblue91 likes this.
  16. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

I love my Shield in. 45acp
    I've had it for a while now and carry it every day now.
    I also have the 9mm version in Gen 1 too.
    I prefer the . 45acp over the 9mm.
    For some reason I have always liked the recoil of 45 better than 9mm or other caliber.
    I have a few different guns in .45acp and love shooting them more than any of my other guns.
    You will like the shield very much.
    I use GD 230grn for carrying ammo but it will eat anything I put into it including any of my reloads.

17. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Just load with standard pressure HST 230gr and call it good.

GlockWheeler likes this.
  18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have the Shield 9mm, 45 and 40.
    I like them all.
    I would carry one, but I'm limited to a smaller size pocket gun due to what I wear.

Shields.JPG

Shield 45.JPG

Shield 45 target.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    fastbolt, zaitcev and FullClip like this.
  19. H@zmatt

[email protected]

Haven’t scrolled through but if nobody linked the luckygunner test for short barreled .45 I’d start there. I don’t think HST in any load or weight would be a bad place to start.

20. wanderson

wanderson

I’ve had a Shield .45 for a few years, I think I got mine about the time the Shield 9 2.0 came out. And a few years before that I bought a Shield 9, been happy with both, great accuracy, 100% reliable. I like the .45 just a bit more, partly cause of the 2.0 features like the texture and the .45 felt like the trigger was a bit smoother than the first trip out with the 9. I have a hard time shooting guns with a lot of muzzle flip and the Shield .45 shoots well for me. Fully loaded it’s a bit heavier and wider than the 9 which fits my hand a bit better.

The mags that mine came with were the updated followers that hadn’t been out long, the spare mags I ordered did not. One call to S&W and they mailed me replacements for free.

My ONLY complaint is the +1 baseplate on the 7 round mag is a PITA to remove & replace. And I find the 6 round mag with a Pearce or NDZ pinky extension fits my hand much better. Between the two I prefer the NDZs and got rid of the Pearce. Unless I missed it there’s nothing like that for the 7 round mags.