I have a waterline leak that turning into a serious big job!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 15, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I asked the plumber who repaired the leak today, that very question. He explained that the leak was caused by "electrolysis." He also said that there is way of knowing where, when or if, it will occur again. He replaced most of the copper with plastic line that he has a lot of faith in. In fact, he pushed the new plastic through the inside of the old copper pipe. He then used a fitting to connect it with the remaining about 12 feet of working copper pipe. One problem is that remaining copper pipe runs under my blacktop driveway, where it connects to an old 2 inch plastic pipe.

My thinking is that I'll keep paying for the waterline insurance and it fails again it's their problem to locate and fix the leak. I was told that they have specialty tools that will let them run a replacement line under my blacktop driveway. He was talking about needing to dig up a decorative tree to run a line under my blacktop driveway.

I was just happy to have the water running again with just a little damage to sidewalk and not losing any trees. If the copper lines fails again and if:fred: I'm still alive, I reconsider the issue.

FullClip and Caver 60 like this.
  2. Hartford

Hartford

Last plumber I had out said said that grey/green pipe hit like lead. She was cute, but I dunno didn't seem to make much sense?

15948555341304449627746085222515.jpg

G30SF/F-250 likes this.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I had a plumber chick swipe me on Tinder.

I thought about it....

I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.
    It wasn’t some cute young college chick that was just trying new things, it was a plumbing looking chick that had a, “I’m a plumber and a female and will grab that turd out of the toilet if you don’t.”

4. Hartford

Hartford

Just remember, plumbers know how to lay pipe. Bonus if she's willing to handle the nacho bowl clogs too, but only if she washes her hands and wears a mask.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  5. 1bigK

1bigK

Do you have small kids?

Sent from deep behind enemy lines in the liberal bastion of Denver, Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    No small compliment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Glad you found the water leak. Now find a nice varmint rifle and shoot that groundhog.

8. Hartford

Hartford

Not sure yet. My girl is four months pregnant with our first. We've been told everything is normal so far.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  9. sarge83

sarge83

I ran into this mess a couple of years ago. My neighbor had some concrete poured and I speculate that heavy truck damaged the lines which had been fine for 18 yrs. The first leak was easy to find it was bubbling up out of the road in the middle of an early July heatwave. I borrowed some listening equipment from the water company and managed to find it on the first dig causing only a foot and a half removal of road blacktop. Two months later water bill jumped to $300 and I had no clue where it was this time. The water company recommended a guy who specialized in finding leaks and he found it almost to their meter, but not enough, so I was out $300 for bill and $500 for repair. Another couple of months and a $200 water bill, called same guy and it was mid point from my tie in and the water company meter. So I had him install a cut off valve when he repaired it in case of future leaks it would give me an ideal where the leak might be. The water company wouldn't touch anything past their meter.

cbetts1 and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. davethehiker

davethehiker

I learned a lot about my waterline and water usage from this experience. I learned that copper pipe is more prone to develop leaks than plastic. I only have about 10 feet of copper pipe left in the very long line that runs from the meter to my house. If that copper pipe ever springs another leak, I'll run a new plastic pipe to bypass the copper line. I also discovered that if one only uses the water at thin dribble rate the water meter is unable to detect the water usage.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Inyo Tim likes this.
  11. sarge83

sarge83

It is a major headache. I have the plastic line and still got leaks. You could tell the weight of something had pushed rocks into the lines and ruptured them. My brother-in-law laid the line 20yrs ago when he owned the house and from what I have seen really didn't prep the ditch, just dug it unrolled the line in the rocks and such and covered it up. I am actually surprised I haven't had more leaks after digging up the first leak, but I only have one neighbor and the heaviest thing on the road anymore is a garbage truck at the beginning of his run in the morning so its not weighted down.

cbetts1, Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

Garbage trucks are heavy and damage roads more than anything else that I see on my driveway.

cbetts1 likes this.
  13. Caver 60

Caver 60

Proper ditch prepping is very important. But it's an easy thing for an unscrupulous Plummer to skip, and get way with it. Unless you are there watching, and you know what should be done. They'll probably be out of business or deny responsibility, when the line does fail

I did my own backhoe work with a rented backhoe and properly prepped the trench. Thirty two years later, no problem.

Our church hired a professional to dig the well and install the water line. The first winter it froze. We made them come back and do the job correctly that time.

FullClip likes this.
  14. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Congrats and let us know! :wavey:

Hartford likes this.