I have a Sig P365 and Glock 17. Thinking about trading for a 26

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pack26, Oct 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I did trade a P365 for a Glock 26

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. I have or had both and prefer the Glock 26

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. No interest in either models

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I have or had both and prefer the P365

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Some Russian 7.62x39mm barely gets 2200 feet per second from my 12.5" barreled AK-104. Yeah, I'm pretty sure your G26 is equal in "stopping power" though. If only those Spetsnaz guys realized how much weight they could save by carrying a G26 instead of their AK-104's.

Yes, velocity matters. So do things like bullet weight, bullet diameter, and energy. Just because somebody tells you that things like physics/mathematics/science no longer apply, doesn't make it true.

2. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I've had a Glock 26 for years, have only handled the 365 in the LGS. Can't really do your poll fairly. The Sig seems okay, but I haven't been moved to buy one yet. Maybe someday?

I'm actually looking to pick up a Glock 27.

Teecher45 likes this.

3. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Trade it for G48. I have a 365 and it is tooooo small. Very reliable, but just too damn small for me. I used to carry a G33/27. IMHO, the G48/43X is the best option for CCW. My 48 weighs ~ 1 oz. more than my 365 with a 12 rd mag. Shoot-ability, 48 wins hands down. Not even close.
    :flag:

Teecher45 likes this.
  4. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I went the other way and traded a G26 for a P365. (Admittedly, it was a problematic G26.5 that took 500 rounds of jamming and a trip to Smyrna to get it working right after which I was soured on it and didn't mind letting it go).

Also, I still have a perfectly functional G26.3, which I like in theory, but never actually carry.

The P365 carries so much easier and shoots just as well.

The G26 requires me to take more care to dress around it at which point I might as well carry a G30S or M&P 2.0 Compact if I'm intentionally dressing around a gun.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Unless you have a lemon, no trade. Unless you are in money trouble, no sell :)

If you have a good reliable carry gun in the 365, you'd be nuts to get rid of it. Some days, that will be the gun that fits how you are dressed.

If you want a 26, then buy one. Having a 17, 26, and 365 will give you a ton of carry and range options.

6. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Save your money and get the Glock 26. We live in perilous times. Keep every firearm you possibly can.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. Teecher45

Teecher45

I agree with ithaca, however I traded my 365 for a G-27. I traded a friend who wanted a 365 and mine was just meh to me. It functioned fine, I just didn’t like it. It’s hard to explain my thinking clearly, but suffice it to say, for me, it was too small and I didn’t like the trigger. I understand I’m in the minority when it comes to the 365’s trigger; I just didn’t like it. It was too mushy and didn’t have the clearly defined break the Glock’s have.
    Saying all of that, I no longer care about caliber, I would have actually preferred a G-26 for the commonality of it and my G-45. But, it’s what he had and I’m issued a .40 so I went with it.
    If you can, I’d say wait and buy a 26 and keep the 365. It definitely was easier to carry in warm summer months than the 27/26/33 is, but not by much.
    If you don’t care about the 365 and want the 26 now then trade it. It’s just a pistol than can be traded/replaced at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Brain_C

Brain_C

I have just those three G17 is for the range G26 for EDC @ cold weather times but the P365 is EDC mostly i summer. I wouldn't sell any of these

snowbird.40 and Pack26 like this.
  9. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

If you haven't shot a 26, I would recommend you try one and shoot a lot of rounds. It is probably on the bottom of my list of guns to shoot because for some reason, it just doesn't fit my hand. I have a much better opinion of the 19, 30, and 36.

10. dudel

dudel

I have both. The P365 is EDC; the G26 is EDS (Every Day in the Safe).

P365 is much, much, much easier for me to carry. There was a time the G26 was my EDC, but that years and years ago. The Kahr CM9 replaced the G26, the G43 replaced the Kahr, and the the P365 replaced the G43.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    TGT, 45caldan, -JCN- and 4 others like this.
  11. Pack26

Pack26

I owned a Glock 26 years ago but sold it. I rented both a Glock 26 and P365 prior to purchasing the P365. I chose the P365 for the thinner size and the factory night sights. I like the P365 and will probably continue to carry it. When I can save the cash for a Glock 26 I will buy one.

12. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I have both the G26 and the P365. For years the G26 was my off-duty carry. I changed that this year and switched to the P365. I did so for several reasons; It was smaller/thinner/lighter thus more comfortable to carry all day. The capacities were similar enough that I was comfortable making the switch (I carried the G26 with a G19 mag and Xgrip and carry the P365 with a 12-rounder. So I only gave up 3 total rounds for a more compact package. For me, that evened the swap out as capacity was still in the range I was looking for in my carry.

However...

If I could have ONLY one carry pistol...it would be the G26 without hesitation. I have a G22 with both .40 and 9mm conversion barrel (so basically like you I have a full sized G17 for all intents and purposes). I have quite a few G17, G19 and G26 mags. I like the fact that the G26 can use the G19 and G17 mags (and even larger). I like the compatibility. I shoot the G26 very well and I'm the most familiar with the platform overall having carried Glock for decades.

For me, since I have both, I went with the P365 simply because in the summer in Florida I found myself carrying my LC9s more than the G26 just for comfortable summer carry. When I became comfortable enough to get the P365 it was an even smaller package with higher capacity so it worked well. But I still have the G26 and carry it quite a bit as well so I have the best of two very good options. But if you're going for one carry to compliment your G17 then the G26 makes the most sense in your situation.

TGT, Teecher45, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Glock 26, like other double stack Glocks, don't fit my hands worth a damn. I bought one off a fellow co-worker because he needed cash and was willing to sell it for cheap, but otherwise I have no interest in wedging that 2x4 into my pants for CCW purposes. It's bulky, it's fat and just ungainly without the shootability of the Glock 17.

14. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I think DeputyDave's point is the one that applies most to me. If I had just one gun, either a G26 or G19 would be ideal "jack-of-all-trades" guns. No glaring weaknesses, and great platforms. HOWEVER, I don't have just one gun. I get to pick from several guns, and for small carry the 365 is superior (for me) over the G26. A G19 or G17 is superior when size does not matter. The G26 ended up being sold, as it was too big to be small, and too small to be big.

You may value the ability to use multiple magazines with the Glock firearms (which is great!). That plan never gets you to a truly small gun with good capacity, though. If you value small carry and good capacity, Glock simply does not make a firearm that addresses that market.

I would never go from my 365 (or future, similar-sized gun) back up to a G26. No way. The G26 is a fantastic firearm, and has advantages outside of small carry (proven design, magazine options, platform size range from 26-19-17-34), but it fails to be as small as I want.

But your needs are the only thing that matters! If you love Glock, and want to stay with Glock, that is your decision, and you are automatically right (for you!).

TGT, Teecher45, -JCN- and 3 others like this.
  15. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

OP - Lots of good advice and opinions based upon experience. After nearly 15 years of buying and selling and competing with Glocks, I settled on the G26 … waiting for the long-promised single stack 9mm (which, as we recall, was preceded by the G42).

I went through one buy/sell cycle with two 43s because my right thumb kept riding the slide lock release lever. Sold them both and tried Kahr CM9s for awhile. Went back to a 26, then tried another 43; loved it again and trained my thumb to stay low; bought two more 43s.

Then, along came the 'game-changer', the P365. I was hot to trot, but held off (with some input from my spousal unit) and waited until Sig worked out the bugs in the 365. I got a chance to shoot some 365s after a couple IDPA and BUG matches last spring. The gun felt great and I could shoot it as fast and accurately as my 43s and 26s.

Sooo, I bought one over the phone just prior to my annual migration up north. The LGS held it for me all summer and I picked it up in mid September, shot about 150 rounds at their indoor range and sold my 43s, bought another 365 and decked it out with a Streamlight TLR-6. I'm on the verge of selling my G26.5, which will leave me with the two 365s and a Ruger LCPII for pocket carry when it's more convenient.

Personally, as I get older (68 now), simplicity and minimalism have a greater appeal, which is why I want to deal with one primary caliber and magazine option. When I finally sell my 43 and 26 holsters/mag carriers, it will be MUCH easier to keep track of guns and gear.

I really, really like the 365. I've shot it in two IDPA matches and it performed flawlessly. It conceals very well and I'm assured over on Sig Talk that after awhile the grip texture smooths out a bit so it won't rub my skin raw in summer weather. In addition to carrying IWB at 3:30 or AIWB, I've even found it nice for front pocket carry in cargo shorts. Who knows, maybe I'll even dump the LCP and have to keep track of only two 365s and three holsters.

That would be my personal bliss. Never thought I'd be Glock-less, but I'm now becoming a Sig fanboy. Gaston probably won't like reading this. :)

TGT, dudel, Deputydave and 1 other person like this.
  16. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I hear ya H&K..
    The Glock 26 is just boring, It eats everything I've tried to get it to digest, always functions & is as reliable as a revolver IMO, Holds 10+1 & any accessory on the market can be found with ease for any Glock = Holsters & Magazines etc.

Teecher45 likes this.
  17. Bradley T

Bradley T

Keep the 365 and the 17 and get a 26 for a third option.
    I've got a G17, and wouldn't trade it for either. I would like to have all three though.

Teecher45, Deputydave and Pack26 like this.
  18. bandsaw

bandsaw

I started with a G26 and carried it 100 % of the time but, now with the 365 my G26 sits in the safe. I haven't fired it in a year. The 365 is an easy carry. Easy to conceal in AIWB with a 12 round mag tucked in a nice Vedder Lite tuck with wing. Never even know it's there. I don't think I'll sell or trade my G26 but,.........maybe.

TGT and dudel like this.
  19. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

It is a fine firearm. Back when it was introduced in the mid-90's, it was a really great option and offered a small size. Since that time, clearly there has been an expansion of concealed carry rights, and therefore more smaller guns introduced, that make it look fairly large by comparison now.

As for accessories, one clear limitation of the G26 for some is the lack of an accessory rail for lights/lasers. So despite parts and holsters being widely available, it still has some compromises.

Reliability is not one of them. It is a quality firearm.

Glock 17L likes this.
  20. 0311INF

0311INF

I don't really like small guns anyway, and don't intend on owning either. But I have had a couple 26s in the past and carried them for some time. They of course were an addendum to my larger 17/19. I found it didn't really remain appealing to have a bunch of Glocks with slightly different dimensions.

The concept of mag sharing, part compatibility and functional similarity is an attractive one. In practice though, much like the idea of a pistol caliber carbine to match a handgun, I've found it's mostly hype and short on utility.

Having a longarm that shoots pistol rounds is a compromise, as is a small gun that you can't shoot as well. I'll grant the G17 and G26 are similar, and if one has a lot of time on the 17, most skill will transfer. But that skill will also transfer to about any striker fired handgun. The size and carry style is what takes getting used to, with much different mechanics involved in the firing grip, presentation, reloading and sometimes shootability of small IWB handguns compared to large OWB carried service pistols.

I believe skill transfer is most efficient across generic platforms like small carry striker autos vs revolvers vs service pistols vs rifles etc.

My worthless advice: get or keep the best gun for your particular purpose, that you operate well, and don't make compromises for flowery concepts. Not to say the G26 isn't your best option, but its similarity to the 17 isn't necessarily a great reason to go for it, IMO.