close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I have a question about bourbon.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mellio, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Mellio

Mellio

I have recently become interested in bourbon. I used to drink it when I was young purely for the effect. Now I have started to like the taste and want to learn more about it. I have drank a couple of bottles of Jim Beam this year and now I'm working on a bottle of Woodford Reserve. I like them both but the Woodford is much smoother. I have tried Knob Creek but did not like it as much as the others. I would like to have a general discussion about what the people of GT like about bourbon. I also need to learn the lingo too use when ordering bourbon at a bar. So far I have only ordered it neat and chilled. What are the other ways to order it?

2. Gareth68

Gareth68

We are 11 days into the year, and you are on your third 5th??
    :wow:

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Like a good single malt, bourbons can be "woken up" by adding just a quick splash of water. It causes a chemical reaction that enhances some flavors of the bourbon. I like Woodford, Knob Creek and just recently tried some Stampede that was pretty smooth. Basil Hayden's is another very nice bottle. I like it more neat to get the complexity and not hide it with any cooling off.

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

There are bang/buck winners, and 'price doesn't count' winners.

Generally, the higher proof and older it is, the more expensive. Pappy Van Winkle makes some good bourbon, and you won't be ashamed to offer it to friends, but cheap it ain't.

There are too many options to purchase strictly on price, however, and there's a few gems that don't break the budget. It's not *exactly* bourbon, but Rittenhouse Rye (Bottled in Bond, 6yr, 100 proof) won the 2006 American Whisky award, and it's under 20$ a bottle. Sazerac Rye 18 year old (if you can find any) is candy, the most flavorsome and smoothest American liquour I've ever tasted. To include anything Pappy ever made..

If you ever stumble over a dusty bottle of Saz 18, I'll pay retail + shipping + tax and a finders fee. It's THAT good.

Rittenhouse is on sale for 15$ a bottle at the moment. PM me for where..and then go buy a case. 200$ shipped and you darn sure will be getting your moneys worth. Drankin' likker..

6. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Try Buffalo Trace. I actually like it better than Woodford, as it's a bit smoother. We always have it on hand.

Also like:
    Basil Hayden
    Booker's
    Bakers
    1792 Ridgemont Reserve
    Pappy Van Winkle---their 23 year old is the best I've ever tasted, but at $200 a bottle, it should be
    Makers.

7. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

Buffalo Trace is good and Elijah Craig 18 year old is probably the best I've had. If you choose to put soda in your bourbon, Pepsi Throwback is the best in my opinion and will only be around for 8 weeks or so.

8. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

You live in Central Kentucky, dude!!!
    Get in you car and drive the Bourbon trail!
    Every bourbon in the world is made within a 2 hour drive of you.
    Or as my old man (born and raised in Hazard, KY) would say...
    Suckle from the breasts of the Kentucky mountains.

(BTW, you'll know it's me at a bar if you hear someone order "Bookers, neat. Side of ice.")

9. steve1988

steve1988

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Makers mark is the smoothest of the Bourbons, Elijah Craig is excellent and fairly smooth as well.

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I can't speak for the Pappy 23, I quit at the 21, but was far from impressed. I put bourbon in hot lemonade to help with the symptoms of flu or colds, and that's what happened to it.

I've got a couple bottles of rye hiding out, and a dozen scotch and a dozen cognac.. and it's all 15 to 40 years old. Bourbon ain't strictly necessary around here, and it leaves more for ya'll.

which just goes to show ya I ain't skeered of old booze or spending money on the good stuff..

12. Mellio

Mellio

Ok, so I forgot about the new year .:rofl:It's been a few months since I've started the bourbon interest. :supergrin:

13. Mellio

Mellio

I wil be going on the Bourbon Trial tours in the spring. I can't wait. I like your Dads quote I think I'll use that one.:cool:

14. gunsablazin

gunsablazin

Another vote for Buffalo Trace. I have tried a lot of good bourbons, but Buffalo Trace is as good or better than most, and at a reasonable price as well. Basil Hayden, Ridgemont Reserve, Bakers, ah hell try 'em all!:whistling:

15. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

My current bourbon choice is Jim Beam Black. It's aged 8 years as opposed to 4. I like bourbon but my favorite whiskey is Rye. Rye whiskey is hard to find in my area though.

16. Mellio

Mellio

If I were to order bourbon with water at a bar what is the correct way to order it. Do I say "Woodford with a splash of water" or is there a different way to say it?

17. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I just picked up 1.75 liters of Maker's Mark. It is quite a pleasurable drink. Knob Creek is my favorite bourbon, but I wanted to switch it up today.

18. Waboom!!

Waboom!!

I love Makers Mark

19. bradleybear

bradleybear

Booker's is pretty good.

I like George Dickel No 12