I have a problem, seriously I think i'm going to need an intervention

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by kernal_panic, Oct 30, 2019.

1. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

make a long story short, i got real complacent on my preps a few years back. hurricane irma came and i found myself with may pants down. 4 hours into running my generator it died. i was unable to revive it. i made do with a 400 watt inverter and a car battery for a couple of days till i managed to borrow a tiny HF gen set.

i went nutz buying generators. 1st I bought a little HF tail gator. got it all broken in, changed out the plug etc. then i got a HF storm cat NIB for $60 on the local craigs list. then i got one of the old blue ones, again NIB for $50

and then it got worse. i bought a homegear 950I inverter generator. then i bought its twin the sportsmans gen1000I.

and at this point you'd think i had enough.

but i managed to not buy another generator for almost 2 years. then 4 months ago i went off the wagon and got champion 3500 dual fuel. I told my self I'd stop. I told my self this is enough.

I lied.

tonight while doing a delivery a new customer had a nib never opened champion 2000 inverter genny in his foyer. I asked about it. he bought it for Karen which never came and tried to return it to amazon. they didn't want it back BUT REFUNDED HIM ANYWAY.

and what came out of my mouth? "what do you want for it?" him "$250" me "i'll be back in 10 mins with cash"

its on my patio right now breaking in. I have 7 generators. SEVEN. wtf am i going to do with SEVEN GENERATORS???

2. glock_collector

glock_collector

3. Deltic

Deltic

If the biggest you have is a 3500W you can just barely run a refrigerator or window AC unit. If you want to run key system in your house you really something twice that size or better, you know you want it. I could probably introduce you to someone that could sell you something with pull start and electric start, for a small fee of course. :devildance:

Gray_Rider likes this.
  4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

But all are worthless with out fuel

Turk3196 likes this.
  5. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

i have enough gas for a weeks operation in the 3500 at full power output.

6. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Don't blow up your house with all that fuel:fred:

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

"Fuel". The key. For years, I had a brand new generator in the wraps. Never had to use it. Not on medications requiring refrigeration. Don't need to watch television. Small freezer and I am competent to jerk any meat therein.

Finally, I gave the unit to my girlfriend's son who is in the construction business.

Why?
    1. never used;
    2. makes noise and I am urban;
    3. uses fuel quite rapidly
    4. I would rather use the 5 stored propane tanks for cooking/lighting.

Yes, you read about the deliberate power outages in CA. For years, the PUC has been effectively controlled by the power companies and has lacked diligent oversight and pressure on the utilities to maintain lines, clear brush etc. Please notice that the CEO of the largest utility resigned last year, quietly, with a large severance package and thus did not have to answer questions of why her utility deliberately did not maintain its lines.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I'm a big fan of generators as well. My wife pointed out that we can stay in a 5 star hotel and come out ahead based on the frequency of outages. But when we have an outage for 2 or 3 days, I like the idea of staying at home. And who likes those 2 or 3h outages when you come home to a dark home and the garage door doesn't open?

So when I built a new home last year, I installed a 17kW natural gas powered generator. It's been fantastic. It just kicks in when the power goes out, and the only annoyance is I need to reset the microwave clocks. No need to worry about fuel, or whether we can run the AC and fridges. It can handle it all.

-JCN- likes this.
  9. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

That’s not enough IMO.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Would an intervention really help you?

11. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 Free Actor

..........................someone (SOMEONE) could help by taking some off your hands... for free...

I'm just sayin.....

pgg00 likes this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

I gotta' ask, why are you collecting such small generators? You need to sell all them pipsqueeks and use the money towards a real generator that'll do your entire house and then some.

GlockPride likes this.
  13. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

You mean you DON'T have a 20KW self-cranking Diesel that automatically switches whenever your power goes off??? kernal, I don't think I can help you!
    :crying:

14. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

You need one of these bad boys. We have one and love it. They sold like hotcakes around here after Florence.

generac-home-generator_guardian-22kw_7042_hero.png

15. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

perfect!

16. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

you wait until the next Hurricane and then sell them.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Man, I thought having a flashlight addiction was bad...

nerr likes this.
  18. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Hey, uh...what you do when the power goes out is your business. But that was TMI, bro...

19. nerr

nerr

ensure it's a dual-fuel (natural gas and propane).

Maybe during the next outage you can trade your small generators to your neighbors for half their fuel.

At least my flashlight addiction only costs a few dozen dollars a pop. Thank God I don't have a firearms addiction.

20. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

No no no! I have to tell you guys everything. Get a 3pt generator like a WEN. Get yourself a GEAR driven Kubota L2501. The gear transmission handles static loads better than a hydro. I wouldn't want to use a hydro for more than 3 hours straight due to heat build up. The PTO speed is only 1910 RPM so it just is out there purring. No environmental controls. You'll use the tractor for other jobs and its always ready to go. Diesel fuel stores great. Don't worry about lighting up your house's Christmas lights. You want power of some level and that gets it. Get a little honda to supplement it and your good to go. Money for it? Just charge your neighbors with the gens that won't start for hot showers and meals hehehh.