I Hate Windy Days

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by LoadToadBoss, Apr 2, 2010.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I was out and about today carrying OWB with an untucked Hawaiian type shirt as my cover garment. The wind was pretty brisk today and would often lift up the shirt. I had to walk with my right arm pressed against my side. Few thing say, "I have a gun," like walking with a stiff arm at my side.

2. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Guess that's a nice thing about living in Montana, there aren't many times of the year when it is too hot to wear at least a jacket or sweatshirt.

I've never run across and sweatshirt or carhartt jacket that would blow up in the wind, and having spent time in Wyoming and Montana, I've seen some winds ;)

3. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

On such days, I do one of two things.

If I'm going to be in the wind for any real length of time, I'll button one or two buttons on my shirt - starting with the second from the bottom and working up.

If I'm just walking from the car to a building or something, I'll just put my hand in my pocket on my carry side, which holds the shirt down while seeming much more natural than just holding my arm at my side.

4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

When this happens to me, I use my cell phone in that hand (arm against the body) and act like I am dialing/texting. That way, I can keep my ccw concealed as I should and my actions do not appear so awkward.

5. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I've had this happen to me. Buttoning a single button in the middle of the shirt fixes the problem. :)

6. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I put my hand in my pocket too and this seems to work for me. No one has accused me of playing pocket pool yet.:supergrin:

7. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

I tuck the gun side corner of my shirt under the belt from the outside. For all purposes it looks like I accidentally tucked the shirt and it offers no deterant to drawing.

8. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I recomend to my clients they sew a small weight in the shirts. It helps hold them down in the wind and also helps to clear the fabric when executing a draw.

9. Thorazine

Thorazine

Since I usually just wear tee shirts (button shirts are dress only)..

I just kept the shirt held down with my arm.

For I don't care what others think.

10. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I don't worry about it.

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I've done that. Usually when I'm outside in the wind for long periods, and I can't keep my hand in my pocket all the time. e.g. on a cigar break with my boss.

I've tried that. What I found is that the weights end up being more trouble than they're worth. YMMV.

12. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Yes, some folks don't like the technique. IME the trick is getting the right weight. Most folks seem to gravitate to stuff that is too heavy too me.

13. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

What others said: Put your strongside hand in your front pocket. Discreet and oh-so cool & casual. :cool:

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  14. bklynpete

bklynpete Viet Nam Vet

Most of the time when I wear a Hawaiin shirt, I have an untucked T-shirt underneath, and I leave the shirt unbuttoned. I very rarely wear an OWB holster anymore since I went to a M-tac. I'd rather not worry about my G36 or Kimber showing because I need to get something out of my pocket. With an IWB holster, half the weapon is completely hidden by my pants and the other half is hidden by the untucked shirt.

Pete