I hate Palmetto State Armory.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by kernal_panic, Apr 6, 2020.

1. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

almost said **** it since i have a slick side anderson lying about.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Any post damage pictures? I'd like to see a what a dry upper torqued to 150 looks like.

3. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

it wasn't loc-tited on. i had to use a dremel, a 4 lb sledge, and a chisel. they didn't put any antiseize on the threads at all. they dry humped it to about 150 or more ft lbs to get the nut aligned right instead of spending a dollar on a shim.

TacticalDesire and lazarus66 like this.
  4. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

the threads are in good shape the barrel nut....well thats another story :)

seriously i know its the interwebs and people post nonsense and there is always skeptism but i had to put one foot on my reloading bench to keep it down while tugging on it. i chewed up the spines on the nut and my wrench doing it. with all my stuff on the bottom of my bench and my press and the bench it self its an easy 150 lbs.

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

With no lube the torque values are meaningless going on or coming off. It's insane a manufacturer would omit something like that and think they could just brute force it on. It probably wouldn't have even needed a shim if it was properly lubed.

TacticalDesire and MarkCO like this.
  6. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

i'll post a bunch of pics next week. i got a custom lower coming this week for my pistol. i'll be posting pics of that then. right now its 10 am i've slept like 3 hours and i gotta be at work at 5 so, ttyl all.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  7. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

you're prolly right, they probably didn't actually torque it to 150 or more, that was just the torque it was gonna be required to get it off.

8. surevaliance

surevaliance

You would be surprised, how many crappy $1000+ Kimbers, Sigs and FNs I have seen.

Road Dog, jimcorbin and Z71bill like this.
  9. DrewBone

DrewBone

With companies who started out small who then become popular due to crisis/panic buying, their business model often changes due to their newfound "influence" (read: their balls get bigger) in the industry. And often times as they grow in size and popularity they can't keep up with their customers and begin to care less and less about quality and integrity and more and more about revenue. A good example of this is Home Depot: I once returned a doorknob set because it was missing parts...the staff handed me another of the same from the shelf and took the box that I was returning and placed it back on the same shelf - and that's a problem.

When Classic Firearms first arrived on the scene their home page contained quotes from the Bible and they seemed like an up and up company to deal with. Then when their popularity began to swell the Bible quotes seemed to disappear and the shady practices began, i.e., they were offering Korean drum mags for the AK rifles for $59 or so, but they wanted $24 to ship one. I've had firearms that weighted 3x as much shipped for less than that. So I contacted their customer service department and asked why their shipping cost was so high for this particular item and their response was simply: "This is what we get to ship them." Well I don't take kindly to being bent over in Macy's window so I found another source for these drums and ordered one for $69 with free shipping, then sent a note to Classic Firearms informing them that I'd gone elswhere thanks to their underhanded cheap to reel me in price then hammer me with some rediculous high $$ shipping scheme.

PSA was another firearm related company to come along who offered less expensive items when compared to most other suppliers, and alot of gun owners seem to prefer to pay as little as possible for firearm parts, as seen in many many threads here asking questions like "Who's got the least expensive barrel for..." or "I need a cheap lower for my..." or "I'm on a budget and...". I've never quite understood the reason for spending as little as possible on a firearm, especially when considering one for personal defense. PSA has seized the opportunity to appeal to those who don't like to spend money in the same way that folks go to Wal Mart for all their needs...it all begins with neverending ad campaigns featuring low pricing followed by pummeling the customer with 2 emails a day 7 days a week just loaded with "specials". And like dangling a carrot in front of the nose of a donkey, you can steer that donkey just about anywhere, for any reason.

Don't be the donkey. Spend some time considering why you're being such a cheapass, or maybe start spending your money on something else like a new badminton set, LOL.

I too was on PSA's email list until I got tired of deleting their daily emails. I recall in the past running through their website looking for AR pistol kits, but they always seemed to offer little to no information whatsoever about the manufacturer or quality of their parts that were included in these kits, plus every time I found one that I thought I'd be remotely interested in, it was "temporarily out of stock". This happened week after week after week after week so I finally got the message that they were more interested in steering people towards getting rid of what they had in their inventory than offering combinations that folks like me actually wanted, so I just gave up on them entirely. I'd ordered from them on ocassion in the past for small parts like AR lower pin/spring/detent kits and I tried my hand at some high capacity ETS Glock mags when they were offering a deal with 10 or so of them and 500 rounds of Winchester 9mm ammo, but since my interest in both the AR15 and Glock has completely waned and the quality of their parts being reported as so-so to great to eh, PSA is nowhere to be found on my favorites list. When the time comes I'd rather spend the money on quality parts of known lineage or pedigree then take unnecessary chances just to save a few dollars. YMMV.

10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

What's that old proverb...?

Caveat Emptor?

Yeah... that one...

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.

For the record, on the whole, I like PSA and their arming of Americans w/ tools and useful knowledge.

Ya hires employees... ya takes yer chances...

aircarver likes this.
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have 3 PSA uppers - and two PSA lowers -

I have not had any issues - other than a defective hammer spring -

I called them - they sent me a new spring and a firing pin - they said replace both - see if it solves your problem.

Since they now charge sales tax and it seems like nothing I want has free shipping - they are not the great deal they use to be.

12. cciman

cciman

If it is clamped on the side of the bench, and you are just lifting the corner of it, you not lifting the whole weight of the bench.

Torque is measured in force applied at a distance (ie, lbs-ft, or N-m) on a rotating object or central pivot, so can't always equate to what the workbench is doing. Then there is dry torque and wet torque. Then there is galling of metals, or thread seal agents, paint, rust,... that affects force needed to remove a fastener, that has nothing to do with the amount of torque applied at install.

Heat will break most thread agents, unless it is Rockset.

13. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

I've built several bolt rifles using a Savage receiver. I guess the gorilla Savage used to torque their barrel nut on has moved to psa.

Glad to hear you salvaged it.

Enjoy....

aircarver likes this.
  14. billorights

billorights

Do you have the gas tube out? Are you turning (or attempting to) in the right direction? Try a hammer tap on the wrench rather than just pulling.
    OK, Already got it off. Didn't read all that.

15. ACE31

ACE31

PSA are a roll of the dice. I am not 100% sold on them. Although for the price point they remain a good deal when holiday sales are offered. Standard pricing NOT so much.

aircarver likes this.
  16. Nanuk

Nanuk

That is the problem with the milspec system, torque - then line up the gas tube.......

17. CMG

CMG

Given your stated experience, it would seem they hate you back! :D

megawatt and Mugsie1 like this.
  18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sounds like they galled the receiver extension.
    Ive never been a PSA fan, but a shiOt ton of guys love them here.
    Personally, Ill take quality over quantity.

19. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

i know right?

20. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Sorry man, that kinda thing would grind on me too

You did a service posting this

When you give a company multiple tries to get things right, and they don't, I cross them off the list

Not like this happened a bunch of years ago when they pretty much begged for forgiveness

aircarver likes this.