I hate Palmetto State Armory.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by kernal_panic, Apr 6, 2020.

1. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

i'm gonna get a **** ton of hate for that statement, but its true. I absolutly hate that company. In 2018 i blew $1800 with them. ammo, mags, rds, 3 kits, 2 10.5 inch pistol kits and one 16 inch middy kit.

i've had to send two of the uppers back immediately. the middy upper had a horribly canted fsb. you couldn't zero with irons it was that bad. one of the 10.5 pistol uppers was so ridiculously out of spec you couldn't close it on a lower. I sent both those uppers back, Psa fixed the cant on one and replaced my brand new 10.5 upper with one containing a used bolt carrier. and the fsb is slightly canted on that one too but atleast i could zero. needless to say i was less than happy. Especially since the middy's barrel is trash. it shoots with ball ammo, 5-6 moa. the 10.5 with the cant shoots 3-4 moa with the same ammo.

fast forward to last week. I finally said **** this pos and ordereda new barrel, a dissy barrel assembly from windam. chrome lined nato chamber, yeah its 1/9 but i don't care i only shoot 55s and 62s anyway. i'm thinking, yeah i'll just rebarrel this psa upper.

well let me tell you 2 things...1 i think i know why this thing might be experiencing some accuracy issues and 2 psa can go **** a duck because the god damn barrel nut is torqued to well above 150 ft lbs. how do i know this? because right now its clamped to my reloading bench which weighs atleast 150 lbs and i am lifting the bench up trying to get the nut off. its squeaked twice and moved a couple of milimeters and thats it. i can see the barrel flexing as i attempt to break torque on the nut. un ****ing belivable.

the 3rd kit was perfect. sights straight and no issues to my knowledge. that kit went to a freind.

i should have spent more money and bought from a better company. all you guys out there with BCM and DD bagging on the poors with PSA, next time someone says "psa is great" feel free to copy and paste this. i should have bought that $800 6920 i saw two years ago.

2. dafish?

dafish?

Yea, the old "buy once cry once" thing, right?

I can say I've read enough about them that I'm OK buying their small parts and as a reseller, but I don't yet buy into them as a manufacturer. I think they cater to the cost first line of thinking and for me that don't hunt on core components.

Nor are you the only guy with complaints. It does seem to be a minority, but I wonder how much of their stuff gets shot regularly.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're feeling screwed over. Good luck getting it dialed in!

Can you get a heat on it? (heat gun) I wonder if somebody used locktite on it...

3. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

and i can't get it off. i'm rounding the ****ing nut and my armorers wrench.

4. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

heat gun? oh i have one right here. i didn't think of that.

buddyd157 and aslondon like this.
  5. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

sheesh sorry to hear. sadly you are not alone in this. My friend similarly had to bring one of his back to the store for issues, I believe he had a .308 AR platform.

Their daily deals are sometimes pretty good, but aside from that I really only try to go there when needed, such as needing to go to the range and all other avenues are exhausted to shoot.

6. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

eh **** it. its 4 am i'm going to bed. i soaked it n wd40

7. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Kroil oil is your best friend as far as getting things un frozen. A little heat goes a long way too. If you have an electric oven that can heat down to 180 degree is good too.

aircarver and faawrenchbndr like this.
  8. L-2

L-2

OP, thank you for this thread. I've only bought a Bravo Company (BCM) AR pistol and a Springfield-Armory Saint (before the Victor series but with the full float MLOK handguard).

Zero problems with the BCM at ~3500 rounds.

The Saint had to go back for chamber/lede reaming and they also replaced the bolt carrier group (unknown reason why on the bcg). The Saint took ~6 weeks after shipping out and back. In the future, I'd rather spend more than to shoot 4K rounds only to later determine I've got problems with the rifle and not ammo; then shoot 1K more to ensure it's now working 100%.

I'd rather be buying an AR, shooting it with zero problem, than to be finding issues and having to get things fixed. It is good that I've got more AR experience as to what can go wrong, but I'd rather have the knowledge without personally experiencing it.

I suppose, for some people, just having an AR (like something from Palmetto State Armory), which may work, just ok, for most of the time, is good enough for them; or maybe they got one which will work 100% for their lifetime (both the person and the gun's life).

9. Nanuk

Nanuk

Locktite? I know Bushmaster used red locktite on barrel nuts.

10. Nanuk

Nanuk

Penetrating oil is not gonna work if its locktite.

R_P_K_, MarkCO, cciman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

That is correct sir!

Nanuk likes this.
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1

Could have sent the problem bag of parts back for them to to deal with but sounds like its to late for that with one of them !

13. lazarus66

lazarus66

The hot wrench will free up that lock-tite.

14. Delleetodd

Delleetodd

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    ranger1968 likes this.
  15. Faceshot

Faceshot

People seem reluctant to call PSA out for some reason. They more than doubled their ammo prices overnight when the Kung Flu broke out. Folks bashed Cheaper Than Dirt, but not PSA. I do support their mission though.

16. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

I got a 6.5 Grendel upper from them last fall and it's been flawless. Sorry to hear about your issue.

jimcorbin likes this.
  17. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

Kernal - you have to let us know what happens with that barrel nut! You really have piqued my interest. I'll be up nights wondering!

Hope it finally works out for you. Please, let us know the result.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

18. Gokyo

Gokyo

Electric ir compressed air impact wrench?

Sometimes the short burst of torque help get stuck things off

Or don’t bother buy a stripped upper. How much could it cost?

Bet you can find one for 50 dollars.

19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've put together several of their kits for myself and friends and I bought their AK. The only issue I ever had was a charging handle horribly out of spec. Looked more like a golf putter rather than a "T".

I'll say this, I've had more problems with brand new rifles, revolvers and pistols from reputable manufacturers than I've had with PSA. Clearly I'm getting better mileage...

I think as QC industry wide is complete crap. As a round number ~30% of the firearms I own have been returned to the factory after one range trip.

DannyB and ranger1968 like this.
  20. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

i got it off thanks to the dremel god. i had to make two cuts about 180 degrees apart and that let up the tension. those *******s dry humped this barrel nut on to over 150 ft lbs to get it to align. i have a new barrel showing up today and i ordered some shims and a new delta ring from optics planet. and by my email i got from those guys looks like optics planet will ship today. the upper is salvageable. i only just kissed the threads with the dremel so its good.

i was gonna rebarrel my 10.5 pistol this summer, i won't. i'll just replace the whole thing.

Nanuk likes this.