I Had Thought I HATED The History Channel

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Jan 24, 2010.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

...but, it ain't too bad.

I always related the channel to, well..."history". But, there's some pretty cool stuff on.

I've had it on since 7am. I think I may watch it more often.

I want to see that pawn shop show. I've heard about it, but never seen it.

My only complaint -- a touch too much *drama* at times. :upeyes:

2. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

The History channel hasn't been about history for a few years now. Though I still find it entertaining and who can blame them for providing people with what they want.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

TV rots your brain. :whistling:

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

The pawn shop show is retarded. Seriously. There is not one single thing that would make every watch it again.

Maybe if they had a lot of stuff, but usually one episode centers around only 2 things being brought in, the old man barely oozing out some "tough talk" , the son doing a nervous cocaine laugh at ANYTHING, and the grandson waddling around.

Everything that comes in he has to go get an expert. He has no idea of anything, other than the math of what it's worth verses what he offers.

5. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

You should see how the History Channel is dogged on history forums for not living up to it's name.

I've seen a couple of fantastic programs. I just wish they were far more consistent in providing that level of education and entertainment.

And Ms. Kitty is very much correct. TV will rot your bain. :shocked: Badly enough even self respecting zombies won't try to eat it.

6. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

Some of the show is corny, I mean who would hire that Chumlee guy unless he's family and they're just stuck with him, but there's been some cool items show up too. I really liked that 17th centry strong box, that was cool the locking mechanism being up in the top the way it was and the fake keyhole in the front like it had. Some of the stuff I'd never waste my money on, but I guess it sells never the less, people want all sorts of stuff. I like a lot of the WW2 stuff like Rick does. I still can't believe Corey bought that hot air balloon .. omg, $35g's.. sheesh.

7. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Colt have you up early, or just having other problems. Maybe you started running while watching the History channel on the Droid.

j/k, I only jest. Hope everything is ok.

Rod

8. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

While you could argue it isn't history in the typical sense, How The Earth Was Made is a fascinating show. I haven't seen one yet that was boring. The forces that are involved in the making of these physical features are mind boggling. And the narration helps you understand the science behind the reasoning. Too bad they haven't used that to cover the GW debate.

9. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I miss all the WW2 shows, which they used to play frequently up to about 3 years ago. I also miss the mini-epics, like "The Czars" or "The French Revolution" with all the historical re-enactors and period costume pieces.

I agree, that Pawn Stars is crap, and it took only one episode for me to hate it. I'm also sick to death of all the fast food tech, or chocolate tech, or any of the stupid food shows.

I'd love to see The History Channel start taking cues again from The Military Channel. The latter has some great stuff, but they lack the big budget, and don't broadcast in HD.:crying:

10. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I don't watch the History Channel or TV in general anymore.

11. WarCry

WarCry

I don't have the Military Channel, but History had a great show on Snipers last night. Dealt with a little bit of everything right up tot he current, ongoing conflicts. It was on late, with lots of disclaimers because they were doing some VERY graphic reenactments of shots, including a few Barrett .50 shots from Iraq.

It was good, even brought back a few Marines were were out of the service now and put them on ranges to see if they could recreate their shots.

12. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

I watch History Channel a lot. I HATE the pawn show. I just can't wrap my head around those *******s. "Well the value of your item is probably around 10k" "What would you like to get out of it" "I think 9k would be fair" "Best I can do is 1k." "uhhhhhhhhhhh ok."

God I don't get it. They do show Band of Brothers marathons which I can always watch. Lots of other good stuff too.

13. rahrah12

rahrah12

Somebody told me that Chumlee guy is only acting and is not like that in person...he is actually kind of smart...who knows...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  14. pugman

pugman

In a world of bad game shows...reality T.V...and where every drama seems to be based in a hospital or law firm...the history channel is one of the very few bright spots.

Watch Idiocracy...a C+ movie at best but it probably pinpoints where American T.V is headed.

15. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

But it's about history made everyday. :supergrin:

16. JFrame

JFrame

They ran some stuff on sharpshooters and marksmen yesterday that was pretty good -- but I agree that, in general, their programming has gone totally lame from a couple of years ago.

17. wolfman97

wolfman97

If the value is 10K, they usually wind up at about 5K. It is called negotiation. Same thing you do when buying a car. It has to do with the difference between wholesale and retail value. Did you expect any store owner to give someone the full amount that they intended to sell it for?

And they have posted little notes during the series that 75 percent of people don't make the deal.

18. glock glockler

glock glockler

I'm still trying to figure out what a pawn shop, crew of loggers, and ghost hunters have to do with history. I wish they'd go back to actually doing shows on history.

19. rahrah12

rahrah12

I caught both of those shows and thought they were good...

20. wolfman97

wolfman97

At least Ice Road Truckers seems to be gone for a while. I think they are just running out of interesting history. Anybody up for another documentary on why Germany lost WWII? How about the 125th remake of Midway or Pearl Harbor?

Therefore, they are down to making complete series out of things that were best done in one show, on another channel.