I had a bad dream.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WINGS, Apr 10, 2007.

1. WINGS

WINGS CLM

I had a bad dream last night.

In it was the FAA, crew scheduling, bad schedules, bad management, self-serving union, unserviceable aircraft equipment, changing weather, no extra holding fuel, ever-changing procedures, endless flight manual revisions, dead heading in the middle seat, broken luggage, lost luggage, nasty passenger agents, crabby Old 170 lb. flight attendants that were axe-handle wide, all-nighters, foreign countries, sleep deprivation, mergers, seniority squabbles, company threats, food poisoning, no food, bad coffee, bidding, pulled away from my family for weeks at a time, fleabag hotels, late cabs and maniac cab drivers, bidding vacation, waiting for gates, weather, low visibility approaches, aircraft de-icing, PCs, Gestapo check airman, medicals, commuting to and from work in unspeakable weather, the parking lot from Hell, parking lot buses, inter-terminal busses, spring break, Christmas rush, Easter rush, PA announcements, insurance, random drug and alcohol testing, noise violations, customs lineups, dry cleaning, terrorism, security passes, rude security personnel, high gas/oil prices, pay cuts, rush hour traffic, that infernal alarm clock, crash pads, catching cold away from home, lackadaisical crew members, sexual harassment threats, flight attendants and co-pilots implying that they are a gift to aviation after being there three years, back biting, gossip, cell phones, aircraft cram courses, plus laying my job on the line several times a year with simulators, endless procedural memorization and Annual Recurrent Training days.

Then I woke up and joyously found myself still alive and retired and with a deeper cut in my medical and pension benefits!

Hey, it's almost time for a burger and a beer............

2. jungle

jungle Guest

There is nothing like the romance of aviation 24/7 365.

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Wow ! You fly- ....& they PAY you for it ??....
    :supergrin:

4. c6601a

c6601a

No he is just a glorified bus driver. He flies the bus where they tell him, when they tell him and how the tell him to. He does that so he can earn the money to be able to afford to fly a real airplane when he wants to and where he wants to.

5. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

sorry to hear it

6. J. Parker

J. Parker

Sounds like 23 years with the FAA (retired in '98):supergrin:

Ain't retirement fun!;)

I think I'll go pop some rounds off the deck:thumbsup:

7. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

Ahhhh whiney airline pilots, gotta love it.

8. WINGS

WINGS CLM

Actually if you pull a couple of items out of that list it could be a bad dream of any whiney person connected with commercial/military/general aviation.

LOL. I have a retired enlisted type Air Force buddy, Boomer Joe, who says things to me like your comment all the time. He still thinks that he was in charge, even though when he was flying he was lying down looking out the back of the tanker:animlol:

9. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

But why are you so bitter about something you have retired from? Did you get into flying expecting it to be a cushy, 9-5 monday-friday job? Did you get into it for the money? Do you actually enjoy flying?

Compared to you, I'm new to the industry, but I knew going into it that there would be times I would really think twice about my career choice. But, I can't imagine doing anything else. I could go on about all the things I hate about it, but I could also make a list of the things I love about it, and maybe throw a few sunset pics taken from FL350.

Maybe after I retire I'll be bitter about it too, but I really hope not.

10. WINGS

WINGS CLM

Ya know, I normally put a disclaimer at the beginning of anything long that I post like this saying that "I didn't write this and I'm just passing it along."

I forgot to do that with this post so............

I didn't write this, I'm just passing it along.

To answer your post.....
    I'm not bitter at all. I had the opportunity to work in the golden years of commercial aviation and got paid for something I loved to do to boot.

I hope your career is as safe and productive as mine. I think that my most memorable event was........when I was a B727 Flight Engineer, after an inflight bomb scare and an emergency landing at an enroute airport...during evacuation having to actually lift a really neat and old blind lady and kinda throw her on the evacuation slide where the firefighters caught her at the bottom. She later told us that it was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to her.

:thumbsup:

11. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

OK, guess I misunderstood you.

I would have LOVED to work 'back in the day' for the airlines. Commanding a Pan Am 747 around the world back when they were THE airline to work for would have been the best. Sadly the airlines are just another form of transportation, and the quality of life and income of your average airline pilot is in the gutter.

Still, I can't imagine doing anything else besides flying.

12. New

New Guest

Retired Peanut driver.:thumbsup: