close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I had a AD yesterday evening.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by blastfact, May 20, 2012.

1. blastfact

blastfact

I went to the range yesterday. Had a great day shooting my new M&P 9mm and working with my new Super Tuck and Serpa holsters. Put 500 rounds through the pistol with no issues at all. I only took the M&P 9mm and it's holsters. I wanted to practice and drill with only it. A full focus range session so to speak on one weapon and two holster systems. Using my own reloads, being the ammo I will carry in this pistol. I was running 124gn XTP's over 5.9gn of Power Pistol, Fed primers with new Winchester brass I got for dirt cheap.

I got home and the wife and I decided to go to a local street Art Festival and enjoy some street food and people watching. I told the wife. "let me clean up the M&P 9mm real quick" Then I changed my mind about cleaning it up. I told her "never mind it's been running great, it should be fine". I'll load it up and we will be off.

I put one round in a empty mag to chamber one and BANG she went off.

My view from my desk.
    [​IMG]

The pistol fired and locked the slide back. I dropped the mag and rolled the pistol over to inspect. And found the striker poking out the breech. I was then so thankful that I had not loaded a full mag. That could have been ugly. Real Ugly!!!

The round went through my monitor, inner window trim, king studs, outer window trim and lodged in one of my pecan trees 6' outside my window about 20' off the ground.

Once I had figured out the trajectory of the bullet and it was proven secure. I detail stripped the pistol. Focusing hard on the striker and striker channel I found very heavy brass shavings packed in the striker channel. I then went through the new brass I shot and inspected each piece. I found a extractor wear mark on almost all of it. I then pulled the extractor and sure enough it had a burr that matched the mark on the brass. The little burr cleaned right up. I refitted it and took the pistol to the range early this morning. It did great. Came home and striped it back down. No big brass flakes in the striker channel and no marks on the 100 rounds of brass I fired this am.

Now that the pistol is fixed and the malfunction understood. I have to fix myself. I have always chambered and dry fired my weapons in this room at my desk with them pointed at the floor or my wrist on the edge of the desk surface with the pistol pointed just like it was with this AD. No more desk top loading or dry firing! Yeah the monitor, house frame, trim and tree did there job. I didn't do mine. From now on the weapon will always be pointed at the floor. With a crawl space, dirt and foundation stone to stop the bullet.

In slightly over 40 years of shooting and handling guns. This is my first AD and I hope my last. I really freaked the wife out big time. I'm ok and nobody else was hurt or even close to being hurt. My ears and eye's are fine. I think I will leave the bullet hole in the trim to remind me of my mistake.

Be careful folks.

2. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

A grim reminder. :beer:

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Wow.

Glad everything worked out though.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

:rofl:

6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I'm glad no one was hurt.

7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That would be a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE!

Could have ended much worse,.......:faint:

9. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

No it was accidental cuz the gun caused it, tho he should have been pointed at something he didn't care if he destroyed, and should have caught the brass chips earlier than he did.

10. Just1More

Just1More

I'd never carry an M&P. I've heard too many stories about them going off all by themselves.

11. carloglock19

carloglock19

I have to do some research on the M&P, I didn't realize there was a problem with them firing on their own. I own one and would hate to have an AD/ND with it even when practicing proper gun safety and handling. Glad no one was hurt things could have been worse. If there is a problem with them firing on their own then out the door the M&P might go (I hate selling my guns though).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  12. Sechott

Sechott

I'm not familiar with the M&Ps, but I am wondering how can brass filings from the extractor get into striker channel? Also, if the starker was protruding wouldn't keep a round from clambering? I hope my buddy takes his to range today and I will check his out. I am not doubting you, just curious. Glad to hear no one was hurt. I would call S&W and let them know what happened, if there are others with similar issues they will need to do a recall.

13. carloglock19

carloglock19

OP let us know what S&W says when you call them (if you do). I don't like they idea of having a firearm that will fire on its own. I will do research this evening and see if there are more cases of this happening. I keep mine loaded and ready at all times (not my CCW though) and would hate for it to go off like that or if Im handling/reloading after cleaning or range session.

14. deputy tom

deputy tom

^^ This. tom.:wow:

15. rilkil23

rilkil23

Thanks for sharing.

16. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Wow, glad no one got hurt, property can be replaced. I'd for sure call up S&W and let them know what happened. Something just wasn't fit right from the factory for it to shave off brass like that and lock up the striker so it'd cause a discharge when you dropped the slide.
    The way I am about stuff I'd probably send the gun back to S&W to have it replaced/repaired then sell it and buy something else. I'm real bad about not trusting something once I have one go bad on me.
    If you do keep the gun I'd be cleaning out the striker channel on a regular basis so this would not happen again. Still, like I said, I don't know if I could ever trust that gun again.

17. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

Thanks for reminding me that one can't be too careful.

18. AA#5

AA#5

Well, the OP explained that the FP was stuck in the forward position due to brass shavings wedged in the FP channel. Any gun would slam fire in that situation. However, if the burr on the extractor was causing the brass shavings, it would be S&W's fault for sloppy quality control. It's also possible the opening around the FP was too large, creating free space for brass & fouling to enter.

19. Wyoming

Wyoming

Glad you are OK.

Sorry about the monitor. Everything else easy fix. Fortunately pecan tree was planted in a good place.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Last edited: May 20, 2012