close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I got scared tonight. My G23 Jammed!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by thegriz18, Jan 16, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

This is the first time in 6 years and over 20k+ rounds this gun has jammed. I think it was a magazine spring issue since the bullet (Blazer Brass 165 grain FMJ) nose dived into the bottom of the feed ramp. I was using my 10 round range magazines that I've had for 6 years. Never replaced the springs. I think they are getting weak. My 13 round carry mags still work well so I'm not concerned about that. Still though, I was a little pissed that my pistol jammed.

One other thing I thought could be the problem was the recoil spring. I'm using the same spring that the pistol came with, and I know most of them last for hundreds of thousands of rounds, but I wonder if mine is a little weak. It is so easy to rack the slide. Much easier than when I first bought the pistol. I doubt this was the issue tonight as the slide did attempt to feed the round. I posted a recreated picture with a snap cap for everyone's viewing pleasure. Feel free to post your opinion. My opinion is a weak magazine spring. Thanks.

2. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

Recoil springs are recommended to be changed at around 3000 I think, so I'd get a new spring there as well as a few new magazine springs. It's not an expensive endeavor and taking care of your weapon will help ensure your weapon takes care of you.

3. Conrad559

Conrad559

i'd replace the springs on the guide rod and magazines...20k rounds is A LOT

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I'll replace the recoil rod and spring soon. Mine is kind of bowed and my barrel has a wear mark from the spring on it. The magazine spring I'll just leave alone. It is a 10 round magazine and getting those apart is next to impossible. Plus, it is only a range magazine and I have others.

Is this barrel wear normal?

5. Just1More

Just1More

Time for a new Glock!

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

LOL I wish!!!!!! HAHA. I think this one has many, many, many, many, more rounds to go.

I've got a stainless recoil rod in my G17, decent, works well. Should I splurge and put a wolff non captive with wolff springs in my baby?

7. Kwanger

Kwanger

I'd go with a captured stainless rod from Glockmeister myself; cheaper and works just as well imo.

Re the jam - sometimes **** just happens. While it could be a combinatin of worn parts and suchlike, it could also be a ton of other factors.

8. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

My G23 did that at the range Tuesday night on the last round of the first mag.

There was a noticeable indention on the follower where the casing ended. I scratched off the little bump with my pocket knife, and that fixed it.

9. vinnier6

vinnier6

i have magazines with springs that are almost 20 years old that still work fine...

10. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Consider yourself lucky to have had only one failure in that long.

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Whats the prob? Type 3 malfunction. Lock, strip, rack, insert, rack, point in.

New spring might be a good idea to.

12. voyager4520

voyager4520

I haven't even gone through 500 rounds yet, but I'd say from the look of that picture if you're using a metal guide rod it's probably normal wear. That's why I like my plastic rod.

That could cause it too. That's the only quirk I've found with my G23, the casings scratch up the followers. I let the line wear in to the follower, then sand it away a little and I've never had a malfunction.

13. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

if it only did it once I wouldnt worry about it but like others say I would swap the recoil assembly I just swaped out all mine on my 40 cals as they were about due. I can get over how much the price went up on Brownells from the couple I bought last year for my 9's but I chalk that up as sign of the times

14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

This.

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

First FTF in 20K???

Non-issue. Really, all pistols will jam if owned and shot long enough. Tap, Rack, Bang. If that doesn't help, yank the mag, Rack repeatedly, load new mag, rack and bang.

But I would replace the recoil spring at that many rounds.

16. pimuk

pimuk

Don't get pissed because you know what caused the jamming.

I had my G 17 malfunctioned twice, one stovepipe and a hang-up at the hood. I was not sure but that was more like my grip. After those two incidents, it shoot fine without a single hiccup.

17. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I am using the stock guide rod. It is a little bowed and that was what I thought could be causing the wear mark.

So what's the overall opinion- New stock recoil rod or stainless? I'm not sure which I want to get.

18. alfred10

alfred10

Why is the round painted red?

19. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Its an A-Zoom Snap Cap Dummy Round.

20. jimmygun

jimmygun

get new springs,its a cheap repair!