close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I got my first Glock!!! Quick question......

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by loomis22, Feb 9, 2012.

1. loomis22

loomis22

Hey guys, Got my G19 gen 3 today and can't wait till sunday to shoot it! I was reading the manual and it says do NOT remove gold grease inside the gun....and also can you clean the tenifer coated exterior of the slide? if so will CLP be ok for that? thanks everyone!

Also I ended up getting one test fired in 09/23/11 and I have the 336 ejector so I hope it works ok...will let ya know!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

CLP is a great choice both inside and out. be sure you look at the manual for key componants that need lube. You can leave the gold lube on or take take it off. As long as you re- lube you will be good to go..

3. sr975j

sr975j

i get the grease out of the gun then lube them with CLP before the first range trip. have with both my glocks and they have been flawless.

also, CLP is just fine to use on the slide.

Sam

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would commend the OP for reading the manual and suggest that information in this case may be better than some advice here.

If you look carefully on about page 37 of the manual, you may see something that reads like "Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new Glock pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long term lubrication..." Oddly the exact same words appear on page 46 of a newer Glock manual that includes Gen4 pistols. And on page 79 of the Armorer's Manual is a note indicating the copper colored lubricant should remain until it naturally wears away.

I am really going to extend myself here and side with the people who design, manufacture and see.. well virtually all Glock pistols and have been known to repair a few here and there, and go with "leave the copper colored lubricant on the gun." It is a far more risky stance than I usually would offer...

Does anyboday happen to have a manual from a second generation Glock? If so anything about copper colored lubricant in it?

5. hounds2

hounds2

i was curious on this a while back so i called glock. they told me that the lubricant was copper anti-seeeze and that it could be left there or something else used but something must lube that area during breakin. once that is passed the fellow told me that they use break free there because its cheap and it works. he told me to use what ever quality lubricant i want. i had heard so many stories i had check it out.

6. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I never have cleaned a new firearm before shooting, also when I do clean after shooting, which may be months or years, it's CLP.

7. bac1023

bac1023

8. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

I purchased the same pistol as my first Glock -- G19 Gen3. So far, not a BIT of trouble. After reading some of the posts here, you may begin to believe the 9mm pistols give constant problems. They don't. I think (IMO) a problematic pistol is the exception and you only read about the troublesome ones.

As some said, clean it or don't. As long as you have SOME lube in the correct spots you should be a happy camper! :supergrin: I am ..... and I don't even camp!!!!

9. kamonjj

kamonjj

At the glock armorers course they said that is put there because so many people buy a gun and go directly to the range to shoot it without cleaning and lubing it. That is there to prevent any damage from that initial firing of the pistol. They said you can either leave it or remove it. If you remove it, make sure you lube it before firing it. I remove it and put gun butter on it, like I do all of my guns.

10. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

You'll be fine if you clean it off, but be sure to lube it properly.

Tenifer treatment is a hardening process for the slide and barrel. The finish on the outside is paint. Clean away, man, and enjoy your new Glock! CLP is good stuff...

If your spent casings are ejecting properly from your pistol, then just leave the ejector as-is. If you are having problems, then I would recommend contacting Glock customer service to help you out.

Congrats on the new G17!

11. allegro

allegro

It is just anti-sieze and is there to protect an otherwise "dry" weapon the first time out of the box. Most people, in fact, do NOT clean their weapon before going to the range for the first time. The copper lubricant is there to lubricate and protect the top of the frame and the bottom of the slide.

If you do remove it, all is okay, but ensure you lubricate correctly to avoid undue wear, all the while not attracting debris from an "over oiled" weapon.

12. Glock40man

Glock40man

13. Islander1

Islander1

Congratulations. Enjoy your new Glock. It will give you many years of service.

14. bentbiker

bentbiker

OP, do a Tag Search for "Anti-Seize post #22". Then, as the tag suggests, look at post #22.

15. Logan105

Logan105

Congratulations on the G19. I have a Gen 3 G19 that I carry every day on duty. I love that gun. Flawless service.

Stay safe

Rich

16. vmann

vmann Controller

i have owned multiple glocks dating back to 1994...i have left it there, cleaned it off and everything inbetween....i just dont see where it could matter what you do....

i was told a long time ago, that its put there for long term storage, when the austrian military buys the weapons, they might go straight to storage for years....

17. rdpG19

rdpG19

Congratulations, leave it on or take it off, just make sure you lube it up at the points the manual states, very little lube, I've got a G19 G3 1800 rnds and not one problem.

18. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

It doesn't matter if you leave it on or take it off, as long as it's always lubed when you're shooting it.

Since this is your first glock, here's a little lubing tutorial: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2LbUN2esXU"]Proper Lubrication of an Auto Pistol - YouTube[/ame]

Don't feel like you need to go out and grab grease instead of using CLP. That's his opinion and everyone has a different one.

19. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

What I do:

Leave the copper anti sieze

put drop of lube per location as annotated in your manual

run a patch down the bore

20. smitty704

smitty704

I would just do what ever the instructions manual says. I don't feel that it could help THAT much, but it sure won't hurt it.