close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I got it! I got it! YAY

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jortega, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jortega

jortega Earl & Efren

Ive been checking my mailbox like crazy ever since the TXCHL website said my application was complete and it finally got here!

My wife has girls night out so I had to stay home with the kids and didnt really feel like getting them loaded up in the car just to do my Wally World Walk.:crying:

I have a Blackhawk pocket holster for my Ruger LCP and now need one for my G27. I've pretty much decided I'm going for the MTAC for my Glock. Im kinda broke right now but as soon as I get some cash I'm placing my order.

Any tips for a newbie CHL holder in TX? Anyone wanna buy/give me an IWB holster???:rofl:

2. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Tips? What types of questions do you have?

Congrats on your decision. Why did you decide the get the license?

3. jortega

jortega Earl & Efren

Im not sure if I have any specific questions, I was just kinda looking for general tips such as what works, what doesnt, what some of you have learned over the years...etc

I decided to get the license mainly because its my right and not a day goes by that you dont hear about mass shootings in public places and I want a sporting chance against the bad guys.

4. hvacguy

hvacguy

Congrats on an awesome gun. I've been carrying my G22 in an MTAC for two years now, and I love it!!! Its 10x better once you break it in, plus I'm carrying a full size and its still comfy(I'm also 6'3 230lbs). By the way CompTac has awesome customer service, I bent one of my belt clips and they sent me a new set for free no questions asked. The MTAC is worth every penny!

5. Eradik

Eradik

Congrats! I just got my MTAC a few days ago and while I cant carry out in the world yet (licence is being processed), I have put it on at my house and it is VERY comfortable. you will be happy with the MTAC!

6. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Ok my tips would be:

1. Make sure you train and train and then train some more. I'm not just talking about being a good shot either. That matters, but your mindset and how you react and think about things matter as much if not more. If the time ever comes to where you need to use your weapon don't rely on yourself doing the right thing automatically. You will react as you have trained.

2. Know the law inside and out. Remember that you are part of a minority now. Very few carry concealed firearms. There are a large number of people who believe you should not have the right to carry and even more that are scared of guns. Your actions or more specifically your screw ups can hit the newspaper/internet and be across the country in seconds... more fodder for the anti-gun idiots to spew about. Don't let that happen.

3. Make sure you are ready to take a life to protect another/your own. If you aren't, don't carry. Hesitation in the midst of immediate danger can get you killed. Sometimes producing a firearm can actually escalate a situation. Be ready to use it if you pull it.

4. Just because you pulled your firearm does not mean you HAVE to use it, merely pulling it can defuse a situation as well. In fact statistics show in the majority of self defense situations where a firearm was used, a shot was never fired. You need to know the difference between #3 and this one. It comes back to training.

5. Find an attorney and know what you will do the moment you have fired a shot to defend yourself, no matter if you hurt someone or not. The moments after you pull the trigger can determine how you spend the rest of your life. Know what the right thing is to do, and go over it in your mind until you know you will do it.

6. I like the Crossbreed Supertuck as an IWB holster.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Whatever holster you get, get a high quality gun belt. Wal Mart junk will not cut it, and it will make even the most popular holsters, perform like $10 junk

8. Thorazine

Thorazine

Congratulations!

I still remember the day mine came in the mail... amazing it was almost ten years ago. :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  9. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Congrats! :wavey:

Many have already mentioned this, but a good quality gun belt and proper holster will make a world of difference on how comfortably carrying will be for you. You can get some quality products for a fair price too. As time goes on, you will be able to try different options and find out what works and what does not work for you.

Always have a phone with you and always have the battery charged. I also keep two laywers phone numbers programmed in mine.

Most of all, increase your level of situational awareness if it is not already. Most of the time, you can avoid a situation before it ever happens by simply taking a slightly different route to where you are going. Also learn to watch what you say in public and be super polite, esp. in any traffic. I am not saying to let anybody walk all over you, but pick your battles and don't get caught up in any silly word games or arguments with somebody looking to pick a fight. You will need to do everything you can to walk away with no physical contact.

Good luck, and stay safe! :wavey: