close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Got A Slot!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by max-static, Apr 8, 2004.

1. max-static

max-static

So I mostly just lurk on this forum but thought I should let you folks know that tonight I was awarded my categorization wings through Air Force R.O.T.C. This means that in one year, after I graduate college, I will be attending Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training to learn to fly jets for Uncle Sam. Competition was brutal this year with a selection rate of about 50%(513 slots for about 1200 applications) but I did what had to be done and almost 2 years later I have my slot. I know that this was the easy part as flight training is like drinking from a fire hose but I'm still excited. This is my dream. Thought some of you folks would like to know and share in a little celebration with me. Also if there is anyone out there considering military aviation, I would be more than happy to answer questions about how to get in. 'Night and stay safe all.

Max

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Congratulations!

That's quite an accomplishment.

I just got back from a talk where there were several military aviators in attendance. To a man they have all lead interesting lives and continue to do great things. You're on a fortuitous path.

3. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Cool beans for you!!!

;?

4. ScubaSven

ScubaSven PersonaNonGrata

Good job!

Good luck!

5. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Congratulations max-static !!:)

Although it was quite a few years ago, I remember the day that I got selected for UPT. At that time, with only weeks to go to my college graduation, only 10-20% of my AFROTC graduating class nationwide would be selected to attend UPT, following the Vietnam draw down of the mid-seventies.

SUPT will be a tremendously challenging time for you! You will be challenged and expected to perform at the highest performance levels you are capable of. With tremendous effort, dedication and a little luck, you will complete SUPT and hopefully get the aircraft assignment you dream of.

In my four years in the SUPT environment (UPT and FAIP tour), I only had a handful of students who could not hack the program for varying reasons. Unfortunately, the USAF SUPT training syllabus only allows a certain number of training sorties to master the required skills before you are eliminated.

Get to SUPT and become a sponge-try to absorb everything you see and hear from your IP's. You will find college was probably a cakewalk compared to the academic, physical and flying requirements that will be expected of you in this extremely competitive environment.

Above all, keep a positive attitude, give 150 percent and have FUN! Your year in SUPT will FLY by. Following graduation, you will be in an elite fraternity- a military aviator.

I wish you the best in your new adventure! You have every right to be very proud of your success to date and the expectation that your future will be filled with amazing experiences.

;?

6. max-static

max-static

Thank you all for the kind words.

7. Guest

Here's to you!;Y

BUT...you have to promise that you will never, ever, wear one of those goofy looking ascots.

8. max-static

max-static

DONE!!!!!! You won't see me in a "Cosby sweat'a" either. I have been wearing my flight suit around the house all day today though....ok I slept in it too. ;) Hey it's a child hood dream thing.

Max

9. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

Max, that is out-of-this-world!!!! Congratulations to you.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Congratulations Max.

It's a lot of work but it sure is a lot of fun.:)

11. Pave Pilot

Pave Pilot

;? congratulations ! ^c

Now you can put off having to "grow up and get a job" like I have....;Q ;f ;+ ;f :cool:

12. WstSidHomE

WstSidHomE

I have a question. I'm 20, in college, but have been holding myself back from getting my private pilots license. The reason for this is because I had planned on joining up after college and going to OTS, to hopefully get a free ride on Uncle Sam's tab, like you. Would it help my chances at getting a slot at all if I already had flight time/license? One last question, are there any height limitations? I'm 6'4'' or so, pertaining to all branches. Thanks a lot!

Matt :cool:

13. max-static

max-static

There is no flight time that is required. I must warn you though, going through OTS for a slot is pretty darn competitive. For instance, the Air Force wanted 1,158 pilot candidates for the 2005 graduation year. 524 of those came from the Academy, 513 came from ROTC, and 121 came from OTS. Keep in mind that this is more slots than OTS has ever gotten to my belief. The target total, for all AFSCs(all the jobs there is) is 4,414 for 2005. 914 come from Academy, 2,500 come from ROTC, and 1,000 from OTS. So you can see that the rate of selection is much higher in ROTC. IMHO it is a much better program too as you get several years of leadership, in a college environment (unlike the "4 years of boot camp" environment of the Academy) than the very short OTS training cycle. Now with that said, I logged 12 flying hours and retook the AFOQT to make myself more competitive. I'm glad I did as with my previous PSCM score I probably would not have gotten a slot. I strongly urge you to look into ROTC, if your school does not have a Detachment, look into if there is a cross-town sponsor for your school. If not, you may want to transfer. I know this sounds like a lot, but a lot is what it takes. I was going to school about 1000 miles from where I go to school now. I moved/transfered for the ROTC program. Glad I did. There are height limitations, and I can't remember them off the top of my head. Search www.afrotc.com, I'm sure it's on there somewhere. I think you are right on the line, limit might be about 6'5" or 6'7" or something. Don't worry, there is a waiver for everything. Hope I answered your questions. If you have more, fire away. Always glad to help. I have names and numbers of people you can call if you find yourself interested in ROTC. What ever you do, whoever you talk to, you are NOT interested in enlisting!!!!!! What you are looking for is an Officer's Commission! Normal requiters typically are not set up to talk to you about this kind of thing so you may have to do some looking. Let me know if you want contact info. Best of luck.

14. Guest

Times change, and so do requirements, but having a private pilot's license was a big deal to the Air Force, when I applied for OCS in 1982. It was considered a big plus. The Navy and Marine Corps did not seem to care either way. I did not have a private pilot's license at the time. The Air Force turned me down, but the Navy took me in so fast, that I was in Pensacola, getting my head shaved before I knew what happened. ;f

Having a private license will never hurt, so if you can afford it, I would go for it. The recruiter can tell you about any other requirements. Start asking them questions now, but do like max-static said, and be sure you are talking to someone about the Officer Commission program.

Good luck.

Edit: Don't know about the Air Force, but there are some height limitations in the Navy/Marine Corps. Much of it has to do with fitting properly in the ejection seat. An improper fit could kill you during an ejection. One guy in my primary flight class was only allowed to fly helicopters, because he was so tall.

15. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

The son of a friend was going to Annapolis with the hopes of going Marine Air and flying the Hornet but due to his height it was unknown whether or not he would ever get into the program. The word we got is that it's not the overall height, but rather the length of the upper leg when sitting down.

Apparently when you have to eject they prefer that your entire body clear the cockpit frame and not just your torso. ;f

16. Guest

Yep, that's true. Having long thigh bones will result in two broken legs during an ejection (when the seat hits you in the a** on the way out of the plane).

But don't get too discouraged. A very good friend of mine is at least 6'5", and he flew RF-4s in Vietnam. He also flew KC-135's later in his career, before he retired. You just have to go get the physical, and get measured. The recruiter can tell you all about it.

17. WstSidHomE

WstSidHomE

WOW! Thanks a ton! I would have *never* knew that OTS was so competitive compared to Academy/ROTC. ROTC is probably the way for me, since I cannot see how I would ever make it into the Academy. I learned the "enlisting" lesson a long time ago, when every branch came knocking on my door a few hours later. I sure would like the contact information you have! Thanks a bunch guys!

Matt;f

18. max-static

max-static

19. SlimlineGlock

SlimlineGlock

Max,

Congratulations! Go to training with an attitude that flying is fun and you are the kid in the candy store. In my 5 years of teaching T-38s I saw only the ones who were stressed out with all the pressure fail. If you have a bad day, don't dwell on it; just focus on correcting the problem and press on.

I went on to fly fighters and now airliners. I still think flying is fun!

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

WstSidHomE,

In reference to having a pilot's license before flight school.

As a student in Army pilot training it helped me out greatly.

While the other students were trying to learn weather, navigation and aerodynamics I could devote the time towards other subjects and still max the flight subjects.

There's never enough time for all you have to learn and do.

Later when I was instructing, if a student had prior flight experience I could talk to him on a higher level and not spend time going into long winded explainations about something he already knew.
    Again saving both flight and ground time that we could use to further his knowledge and skill.:)