close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I give up on HDTV

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CranialCrusader, Jan 27, 2006.

1. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

I've been reading extensively the past few days. For a Christmas present to myself & girlfriend I bought a Toshiba 26HF15 (same as 26HF85) from CostCO, and it sucks. There is a white glow at the top of the screen when displaying 1080i, black levels mess up and "jump" around making dark things look like crap. Colors band together or display improperly if too much of one color is on the screen at once... the set is horrible... from what I read these problems are NOT uncommon for Toshiba tube TVs

Based on my research the only CRT TVs worth buying are SONY and Panasonic. However Panasonic TVs are nowhere to be found (appear to be discontinued?). This leaves only SONY, which seem to be good (but way too large in size), like the KV-30HS420 or the hard to find (and way too expensive) KD-30XS955. I am very hesitant of buying anything SONY due to some of their shady business practices (see the music CD rootkit fiasco).

The other issue is that I'm a graduate student, and anything over $600, or over 26" in size is really too much money/too big for my apartment. The way it looks now I'm just going to give up on HDTV for a couple of years (at least) because nothing makes sense.

That's my rant!
    CranialCrusader

2. ric0123

ric0123

Couple follow up questions. What are your "sources" (dvd, sat, etc) and what kinds of connections are you using for them? (DVI, component)?

3. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I got a Toshiba HDTV. I am not sur the model number but it is 32" flat CRT. I had it hooked up with digital cable with the HD channels about a year ago. It looked great. Unfortunately HDTVs require a bit of getting used to when not in HD mode. The picture tends to look a bit grainy becasue it is forcing itself to show in lower resolution and it can't "blur" the edges of pixels like a low res TV can.

Umm I would see about taking it back and hopefully it's just that one and not all of that model do that.

Toshiba does have some sort of "true black" thingy. Basically it shows black as black and not a shade of grey. It looks great whne you have it all set up correctly, but if not and if what you are watching is kind of dark it makes it almost impossible to see. The deafult settings are horrible and nowhere near where it should be. They have TV video setting DVDs that help adjust the TV just right. Some video games do too (I know Rally Sport Challenge 2 on the Xbox has a TV setting mode in the options).

Good luck, so far I like my Toshiba. But my brother has been having issues with his. I too chose Toshiba over Sony. I hate Sony as a company. I only buy things of theirs if I have to (and Gran Turismo is a HAVE to ;)). So I understand you there. Basically after having 3 PS2s break, they can go jump off a cliff for all I care.

Try to look for Samsung also. They are decent.

Unfortunately Mitsubishi only makes Projections and LCD TVs now. My parents bought their CRTs for years. They last forever. My parents still use one that was bought over 20 years ago. Not a single function issue, but the picture sucks now. But that is expected for not having been serviced ever.

4. DragonRider

DragonRider

Also, take the time to adjust your screen for the best picture. Lucky for my tv's I know a guy who does this for a LIVING. Depending on the system it can be expensive to get the color right. But you definately need to check the sources of the picture.

Does the picture look different when a DVD is played or the same with HDTV? Is your HDTV signal OTA or from Cable/Satellite? There will be differences between them all. In my case, OTA then Satellite is the best picture with DVD and OTA being about even.

I have no experience with Cable HDTV. Also, use good cables, it will make a difference. Have EVERYTHING on clean power. They do all make a difference.

I suggest you read a bit here http://www.cnet.com/4520-7386_1-6244174-1.html and search/read here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6 to see if you can improve your picture.

Little things go a long way.

Good Luck

John

5. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

I tried both HDMI and component inputs. I'm certain that it was problems with the TV, since putting the DVD player in 720p mode corrected many of the problems. The native TV resolution is 1080i, and I didn't want to watch 720p upconverted to 1080i. (I know that DVD is at best 480p, but my comcast cable came in at 1080i)

I even went into the service menu and tweaked a little and couldn't correct the problems.

CostCO took the TV (and upconverting DVD player) back today. It's back to standard def for me until I'm done with graduate school and can afford something good.

I read extensively on AVSforum.com and found out that MANY people had the same problems with this TV, and I found Toshiba to be unhelpful.If I buy a product I expect it to work out of the box (like my Glock) not something that I need to hire an expert to tweak for me.

Thanks for listening to my rant!
    CranialCrusader