close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I FUBAR'd my computer--help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gold2125, Jan 15, 2010.

1. gold2125

gold2125 Member

I am operating a Dell with XP--several years old--I needed a new anti-virus program so tried to install AVG Free--but must have hit the wrong button and also downloaded Antivirus Elite.

This was Christmas Eve so did not get back to the office for a few days. When I did, I found I could not get into Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird, Microsoft Word for Windows, Microsoft Excel or Quickbooks. They all give similar response: I am not authorized to access them.

I tried to uninstall both antivirus programs and finally could only via Safe Mode. Tried to do a System Restore but can't find a restore point that works.

What do I do?

Thanks,

Gold2125

2. markieboy

markieboy Senior Member

Were you able to delete all antivirus files/folders (keys) in regedit? That may help, but I'm not 100% sure.

3. tbird911

tbird911

Try this before losing it . . . :)

1. Take deep breath
    2. boot into safe mode with network support
    3. go here . . . http://www.findmysoft.com/removal-guide/Anti-Virus-Elite/
    4. Follow those directions . . . at a minimum, install malwarebytes as directed and run a full scan.
    5. If problem still persists . . . post back here . . .

Tbird

4. gold2125

gold2125 Member

Thanks for the advice. In Safe Mode I uninstalled via Control Panel Remove programs. But there is still something there or the damage is done. I'll try to install Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and see how I get along. Hopefully I can use IE to get it. At least I can still play Solitair.

Thanks again.

5. gold2125

gold2125 Member

I finally found regedit. I had no idea what that meant. I think I will use that as a last resort. One source said I could really screw myself up if I used it incorrectly. Which I probably would. Thank you.

6. tbird911

tbird911

important to try and get it from safe mode with network support . . .

Also, you can try one of the free onlinde virus scanners like Trend's house call etc.

7. gold2125

gold2125 Member

I must have more than one problem. I installed the malwarebytes and ran the scan-found and deleted 6 items as suggested. However, I still can not start Firefox or Thunderbird: it sez it is still running and I must stop that or reboot to open it. I have rebooted but it did not help and I have looked in task manager but do not see any files of either program.

I tried to open Microsoft Word but was refused saying I was not the authorized user and would have to insert discs and run setup. Word came already installed and I am not sure I still have those discs from 6 years or so ago.

Any new suggestions? And thanks again.

Gold2125

8. gold2125

gold2125 Member

Also, I do not have a virus program installed now so I tried to install AVG Free but was refused when I tried to start the install. Sorry, I forget the message.

Gold2125

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I would do a tear down reformat it right zeros to the drive and redo everything fresh install it will take some time but should cure your problem
    Regards
    DW

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I envy Windows users sometimes... I don't have much of a suggestion, but not having those disks could be a problem. Personally I'd just backup important files and reinstall my OS, but doesn't sound like thats an option. What model Dell do you have?

http://www.restoredisks.com

11. gold2125

gold2125 Member

I really hope I can get this going with out a complete reinstall. I will have to look for discs and see what I have. I started a disc defrag and went home so I can't look for discs now. The model could be Dell Inspiron but again, not sure. Technology is great til it quits working.

gold2125

12. Kith

Kith

Did you somehow make your user account not have administrative permissions, maybe by accident?

Go to:

Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel

Double click the icon that says 'User Accounts'

At the bottom of the window, click on your user account.

After the window refreshes, you should see a list of options with little green boxy arrows next to them. Click on the 'Change my account type' option.

Once the window refreshes again, make sure the 'computer administrator' option is filled in, and NOT the 'limited user' option.

Just a shot in the dark, but might solve your problem. Also make sure that you are logging on with the right user account.

13. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Of course running as a non-admin makes it much harder to get viruses in the first place, which is why you should always do it.

14. Kith

Kith

I would agree with the sentiment of using the computer in a general sense as a limited user. You don't really need full permissions for daily use, and as isaiah pointed out above, it is sound usage practice to use a limited account for your daily needs.

In this case though, the problem was coming from not having authorized access to files, which usually translates into insufficient priveledges. The first thing I would try to do is bump myself up to root and try again.

If that solved the problem, being logged on with full priveledges allows you to assign usage rights to the program as needed, and then you can bump yourself back down.

Glad you brought that up though, after re-reading my advice it seemed as I was advocating running as root all the time, which is rarely a good idea in a business setting.

15. gold2125

gold2125 Member

I understand I need to be logged on as the Admin and have been but no joy. Nothing has worked to remove or undo the damage done. This happened when I thought I was downloading an anti-virus program but got a rogue in disguise. Any other suggestions?

16. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Sounds like you have been Hi-Jacked... The system was compromised and left on the internet for "a few days" ???

Chances are good that someone got in there and changed your credentials, especially if you don't have a strong password.

Sounds like it's time to get a professional involved... come clean with your internal Technology Support staff, or get a consultant to look at it.

Hope it turns out all right for you...