close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Freaking Hate Firefox!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dave5339, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dave5339

dave5339

I am ready to rip FIREFOX out of our systems!

I freaking hate it, it is slow to load, (have tried the tricks to speed it up), it can't find common pages, (my yahoo, GT, drudge...) You have to hit the refresh button repeatedly and then it will finally pull it up.

I don't have any of the above problems with IE. What gives? What the heck is up with FIREFOX?

Help before I go postal on this freaking browser.

Semper Fi

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I, too, have had some minor problems with FireFox 1.0....it seems like 0.9 was actually better.

Try downloading the Mozilla Suite instead, then just do a Browser Only install. Or put Composer and whatnot on those systems. If drive space isn't an issue, that's what I always do.

You sure don't want to go back to Internet Exploiter. Even Billy Gates has finally admitted that it is pure evil...and that they will release the Longhorn version of IE (ver 7.0)soon.

GL

3. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;Q Gee, that's funny! Kim Kommando loves FireFox and constantly recommends that all her readers switch to it from IE! ;e

So far I haven't taken her advice about Firefox; but, then again, half the time I follow one of her suggestions I'll end up spending hours cleaning up my computer. ;g

PS: Who's Kim Kommando you might ask?

http://www.komando.com/

That's who!

(Just remember that, like most attractive females, you have to approach her with caution!) ;f

4. JMag

JMag

Something is certainly amiss folks; I don't think it is the app. I have been using Firefox since beta with NO problems. Try the help at mozilla.org if you have not yet done so and maybe do a complete wipe/reinstall of the app. Good luck!

5. modgun

modgun CLM

6. kelte

kelte

I've been using Firefox for 8 or 9 months........no problems. Loaded it on my office PC also.....no problems there either. Must be something else going on?

7. gamegod86

gamegod86 Male Lesbian

I use firefox with all of those sites mentioned earlier. (GT, Yahoo, and Drudge)

No problems at all, except that Drudge is getting an occasional popup through.

IMO, the popup thing will change. The reason we don't have that many is the "Smaller target" theory. (again, IMO)

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

I love my Opera;) :cool:

9. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

The problem I have run into is FireFox does not seem to show the drop down menus on some sites. I don't know ??

10. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

No problem here either. Well except I cant listen to Yahoo Launch anymore.:(

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Same here.

At work we also use IE on several machines in the classroom. On one of them I have Firefox installed. After each class I have to remove 5-10 critical spywares from each IE machine. The Firefox machine almost never has any. That's enough convincing for me (as if usability alone wasn't enough).

12. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You might need the latest Sun Java plugin.

13. Unbridled Rage

Unbridled Rage Swollen Member

Using FireFox 1.0. 3 months. Only problem is that Flash is iffy, sometimes.

Well... And sometimes it doen't pick up the internet connection when started (whatever the tech term is for that).

Love the tabs and popup killer. Bookmarks easier to manage/transfer among machines. I like being able to retrieve ten Glocktalk forum tabs with one bookmark recall.

D

14. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

15. Rager

Rager

Been using Firefox for at least a year, along side SlimBrowser. http://www.flashpeak.com/ Free

W98SE, P3 733, 512MB

A previous poster suggested a java problem. M$ doesn't support any Java anymore, you do need Sun's.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp I think this is what you'd want.

In W98 you can check DirectX with by Start>Run> type in "dxdiag" and view the results.

Some pages won't display correctly <b>always</b> in Firefox, that's why I use SlimBrowser, which is pretty much IE the way it oughtta be.

Pages like Windows Update definitely won't load right, and some other secure pages can have problems. But Firefox is my default browser.

I should add that I had fits with .pdfs on W98 w/ earlier versions of Firefox, but not anymore.

16. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

No problems here either. I did have to download the sunjava for it for flash.

17. eljefe6

eljefe6

That's not Firefox's fault. Its lazy web programmers who don't test/code for anything beside IE.

18. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Sounds like a machine problem, for sure. Or possibly a corrupted install.

My favorite is Camino.

19. dave5339

dave5339

I would think this might be a bad install or something corrupt on the machine but it does it on the desktop and the laptop. I downloaded and ran Firefox on the desktop for several months before I ever pulled down Firefox for the laptop.

It gets might annoying when you tell it to go somewhere and it comes back page not found for something that is there.

Semper Fi

20. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I wasn't having too much trouble with Firefox UNTIL I doubled my RAM from 512 to 1024.Maybe I need to reinstall Firefox now.It's the downloads that mess up most and a few pages that didn't used to mess up.I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 working fine with Firefox 1.0 though.