close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I found some guy parked in the back of my private business tonight.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GTFord1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. GTFord1

GTFord1

We've got a private business with a private, non-shared parking lot. There's absolutely no reason anyone would be parked there at night, it's a professional office. It's a freak occasion that I would have even went to the office after I've already left for the day. Maybe three or four times a year I go at night.

The parking lot has one crummy light in the back that barely lights up the doorway. Just to paint the picture, the parking lot is, for the most part, pitch *** dark with an empty road behind it. No one parks in the back besides the people who work there, as there is a front parking lot for that. So I start pulling in the back to turn around, and I see a blue SUV parked there with his lights off. The parking spot he was in butts up to the office, and is between two of our parked trucks. Only three of us work at this office, so I know who is who, and I knew neither of them would be there at this hour anyway.

I pulled in, start turning back around to position my car to get back out, and I open my car door and stand beside my car, with my 642 close by. Within a few seconds of me opening my door and standing up, the guy turns his lights on, puts it in reverse, and starts heading out of the parking lot. As he was passing me, I yelled out "HEY!" at the top of my lungs at the vehicle, which had the windows up, no tint, and the guy looked right at me. 20ish something white guy who looked like he was either just waking up or just finished doing (insert drug here.)

When he gets to the end of the driveway, he tears-*** out onto the highway. I'm pretty sure I got his license plate number correct as he was going past me in the parking lot. I had my headlights on, and the way the parking lot is situated, I at least should have got it right. I immediately got back into my car, and tried following him out into the better lighted highway to get a better look, but he was hauling ***, so that lasted all of about 10 seconds, as I wasn't about to go over the speed limit. I just wanted to get a better look at the vehicle and try to confirm what I thought was the license, I had no intentions of following the guy past that.

So, I call the police. They come out a few minutes later, one guy comes in first with a dog and walks around the place, then a second officer came and talked to me while he was doing that, then he asked if I would let him in the building so the dog could sniff around, etcetera. The police nor myself noted any damage or otherwise problems. There's another building near us that has had gas stolen from their vehicles several times, and someone stole a truck box from us a few years ago.

I live in Florida, but it didn't look like any Florida tag I know. It had a blue bar at the top, that's the only detail I remember specifically. I was looking at a list of state license plates, and it pretty closely matches Michigan, as per my memory. I also wrote down a 5 digit license plate number on my iPhone as soon as I could, and I kept saying it to myself over and over.

The tag was either this kind, or very similar to it.

http://www.michigan.gov/images/uofm_11777_7.jpg

Anyway...pretty minor incident. No guns drawn. No words exchanged. Longwinded story. Took an hour out of my time, though. The guy couldn't have been up to anything GOOD, in any case. Either he was hanging around doing drugs, or contemplating what he could possibly get away with. Took an hour out of my gym time. Bastard.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. shavedape

shavedape

I'm sure the police will do their best to apprehend this guy for...trespassing? :upeyes: You've already lost "gym time" and time writing this non-incident up. Let it go.

3. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Probably just found a dark spot to smoke some meth or get a BJ from a hooker.

Happens everywhere and there's really not much you can do if you're not an LEO and you don't catch them in action.

You reacted well, though, no matter what some of the people here will probably say.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I am sorry to hear there are those type lurking around your place of business.

If it helps at all, I know that his plate was most likely not from PA. All standard tag#'s around here have three letters followed by four numbers. If I remember right, they have a yellow bar at the top and a blue one at the bottom and is white in between.

I hope they end up busting the guy. I assume he probably has out of state warrants and that was the reason why he took off so fast before the cops go there if he suspected they would be called.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Or you interrupted his nap.

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Non-issue. I would just let it go. Whoever it was probably won't be back.

7. KiloBravo

Good point, probably right about that one.

8. JMS

JMS 02

You should have followed him, performed a pit maneuver and when he got out of his car double tapped him com followed by a single head shot. How dare he trespass. :whistling:

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Or he was awakened by a stranger with a gun flashing headlights in his eyes and yelling at him.

OP: Is the lot posted "Private Property" or "No Trespassing" or anything?

10. KiloBravo

Could be as well. Was just spitballing some possibilities.

11. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

Can I have some of your spare time?

12. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I don't like guys parking in back of my private business at night either.

13. GTFord1

GTFord1

To be accurate: A gun never entered my hands, nor was one brandished or otherwise seen or known about by anyone but me. I wouldn't casually pull a gun out for something like this. Nor were headlights flashed, I simply had my car turned such a way that, when he was leaving the parking lot, he had to go through the light.

Considering we had stuff stolen once, and the business next door has had gas stolen as recently as a few months ago, I think I probably had some right to be at least a little concerned. The cop I talked to said the neighborhood behind us has problems.

14. GTFord1

GTFord1

So, if you came home at 9 P.M., and someone was parked at the side of your house with their lights off, then hauled *** off as you pulled in, you wouldn't call the police and at least have them check it out?

15. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

He was probably just rolling a blunt.

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Me, too. Could have been totally innocent, or up to no god either one.

17. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

What are they 'checking out', your empty driveway?

I don't understand the idea behind calling the cops in a situation like this unless you want official documentation on something. And dragging the dogs out? :rofl:

18. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Oh lord don't use that argument. Someone's driveway is private, and all places in public are you know, public.

19. GTFord1

GTFord1

I had a whole tactical maneuver planned out just for times like this, but as I reached into the glove compartment, I realized I was out of flashbangs. To add insult to injury, I forgot to throw some fresh batteries into the FLIR on my AR-15, and I didn't even have my Army/Navy store vest on.

If all that isn't enough, I don't even have a high and tight haircut. How the hell am I supposed to pull off moves like this without a high and tight haircut?

20. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Proper response.......

1. Approach car with arms bowed out like you have massive lats.

2. Knock on driver window hard with closed fist.

3. Motion with hand for driver to roll down window.

4. Lean very close to drivers face and scream as loud as you can IT'S ON CUZ!