Glock Talk banner

I found a Brass Magnet

1489 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Cav
We used to have many joke things we would mess with people on. From range fans, to chem light batteries, to being fitted for a body bag, or filling out an I D ten T form, etc.

On trip to train foreign troops in Europe, I found a brass magnet, and it worked great!

Camouflage Cargo pants Military camouflage Plant Marines
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confident that is steel-cased ammo..

Brass doesn't have iron and isn't ferrous - both requirements for magnestism..
Yes, but policing up brass after shooting on rangers is the term used for cases, and that magnet picked up the ‘brass’.

· Scottish Member
15,293 Posts
Drop a neodymium magnet down a piece of straight copper tubing. You will be amazed.
The copper still isn't magnetic.

The moving magnetic field from the magnet creates an induced current in the copper tubing; where there is (of course) a magnetic field from the current.

If the magnet isn't moving, there is no induced current, and therefore no magnetic field (except for the magnet).

· Scottish Member
15,293 Posts
You do realize magnets pick up (many, not all) shotgun and brass cases hulls due to the steel in the primer?
Even most of the shotgun shell** "brass' is really steel.

*** "Club Loads", STS, Nitros, etc. I think Winchester AA's are still brass. I've loaded a lot of AA's but never thought about using a magnet on them. Most of the AA's I've shot are shot in an O/U.

· Registered
247 Posts
The copper still isn't magnetic.

The moving magnetic field from the magnet creates an induced current in the copper tubing; where there is (of course) a magnetic field from the current.

If the magnet isn't moving, there is no induced current, and therefore no magnetic field (except for the magnet).
Yes I agree with you. I just think its a neat trick. The tubing becomes an electromagnet which reacts with the neodymium magnet.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Thank you for serving!
Ret. USAF SF.
OIF 04-05

1 - 19 of 19 Posts