I finally made it home where i`ve always belonged

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Intolerant, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

Some of you knew of my accident a couple years ago, broken neck. Through all the struggles, the surgeries, the plates & screws, the long dreadful therapy sessions for my neck, i finally was able to get my harley up off the kickstand today for the first time after it had been parked for the last couple years while i healed up. As i was sitting on the seat, i thought, jeez, lets see what else i can do. Now, keep in mind, i had been getting myself out to the garage as much as i could during the last couple years, puttering a little each time, talkin me and the bike up for that ride one day, working on it getting it ready for that day to come. I had refused to give up. Its not in my blood to be a quitter. I was bound and VERY determined that i WAS going to ride my bike again. My harley was the therapy that got me though it all.

Well, i figured as long as i got it up off the kickstand, i fired it up and rode out of the garage and went for my first ride today. I wont lie, it was surely a little shaky at first, but once i hit that highway, and rolled my girl on into 5th gear, i KNEW i had finally made it home, where i`ve always belonged, on my bike. It felt like Jesus lifted all the weight off from my shoulders today. As soon as i hit 5th gear, it felt just like God raised me up off the seat for a brief moment, like a weightlessness happened. I`m not hugely religious, but i knew i felt something. To me, it felt like God said, go, i got you.

My doctor said, your old, you`re a mess, and you`re a very stubborn old man, but you`re not dead yet. He said if you can get that harley off its kickstand, ride it but be very aware, you`re not young anymore, and your injury`s could come back to haunt you instantly. I asked him if i could try a couple wheelie`s... yeahhh i got that look from him, you know the look i`m talking about. I just chuckled and walked out of his office, he was still shaking his head and grinning as i walked away. He had told me that it was a miracle how i recovered... i said, nahhhh doc, you just dont understand, i just have to ride again, and i will.

I was able to cover 60+ miles today on my ride. I wanted to do more, but the good Lord said, enough for today young man, there is always tomorrow. My brother went with me so as to make sure i would be ok. Sure sounded nice out there crusin with my brother with me. Just two old guys, ridin harleys, ohhhhhhh the sound. Sounded just like heaven roaring.

Just wanted to share this story with everybody. A couple people knew of my struggles, i know they are as happy for me as i am happy about being able to ride again. When my accident first happened, the surgeons said i would never ride again because of the severity of my injuries.

Have faith folks, and believe in God above. He will heal you. Even an old rattlesnake like me, got his dream to come true. Be safe out there folks, and thank you to ALL who reached out during this very trying time in my life. I really appreciated ALL the heart felt support.

Thank you GT fella`s, and thank you Lord... I`m finally home, where i belong :)

2. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Congrats. In the wind therapy, it's real.

catman71, Paul53, azbuckeye and 5 others like this.

3. B C

B C

Great post! Happy hear all your determination and drive paid off. I'm sure the smile you had while riding was priceless. Stay safe out there!

Paul53, azbuckeye, bdcochran and 4 others like this.
  4. ked

ked

Good for you!
    Hope you continue to improve!

Paul53, bdcochran and Intolerant like this.
  5. fg17

fg17

Good for you Intolerant. Your an inspiration.

I’ve done some crazy **** in my life. Competitive power lifting, martial arts, mountain biking, distance swimming, Jumped out planes, solo packed into the wilderness. Spent thirty years bouncing in rough neck bars.

But I have a little confession to make. I’ve owned and rode a lot of small displacement motorcycles, standard and sport bikes. But for some reason the BIG heavy bikes scare the heck out of me.

Berto, railfancwb, Paul53 and 2 others like this.
  6. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

There’s nothing like a free ride on a motorcycle. I’m glad you got back out. Keep safe.

Desert Kraut, Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  7. txwrangler

txwrangler

Glad you got back out there! Wind therapy is the best therapy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul53, El Pistolero and Intolerant like this.
  8. rainman33

rainman33

Glad to hear you found your place in this world again. Enjoy!

9. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    Intolerant,
    God bless you. You are a tough old bird! :flag::eagle:

10. n2g

n2g

So happy for you! Stay safe and enjoy.

Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  11. nrajeff

nrajeff

Glad you can ride again. I think anyone who has ridden a motorcycle knows the sense of freedom you are talking about, and everyone who hasn't ridden, probably can't appreciate it. It's so different from driving a car, although a ragtop with the top down approximates it a bit I guess.

Intolerant likes this.
  12. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  13. bdcochran

bdcochran

I like stories like this.:cheers:

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

OP sort of reminds me of an AF Master Sargent I knew.

He was the only surviver of a very bad B-52 crash where the other five men on board died. He spent a month or two in the hospital, then recuperated for several months.

Soon as he could, he got back on flying status, and went back to flying.

G19Tony, Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  15. Detectorist

Detectorist

You're the one who had an internal decapitation? You only used up two of your lives. You still have 5. Good luck.

Intolerant and Paul53 like this.
  16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Congrats. You said your brother was along? So that wasn’t you off I-94 Central MN today? Saw a guy maybe 5 yrs younger then me get prepared to get on his Harley after a break.
    From the right side. After 4 or more warm up, leg stretches...
    Kinda like me and riding mower. Plan the mount. Sure had a smile as he got kickstand up, electric started, pulled away.

If that was you. You forgot your helmet. ;)

Intolerant likes this.
  17. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Welcome back! Congrats on getting your knees in the breeze again!
    It’s definitely worth it.

18. Jonesee

Jonesee

Congrats!! Enjoy every minute.

After my bike accident, they don't want me on a motorcycle ever again. They would not even release me to ride a bicycle.

Paul53 likes this.
  19. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Man that's great.....glad you're back in the saddle....be careful and keep healing

20. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Great post! Hope you continue to heal and continue to ride, welcome back