I finally found some flashlights I like.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by astepup, Nov 30, 2019.

1. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Flashlight shopping is hard

I really don’t want to spend 100 bucks and at the same time, I don’t want cheap junk

this might be a solution

Dr. Bill and Jade Falcon like this.
  2. Dragline

Dragline

I know we had a big thread going on AA flashlights a few weeks ago but did a search and couldn’t find it.
    Was there ever a significant consensus on a good single AA light?
    I want a semi cheapo ($20-30) to give as a Christmas present.
    So what fits that bill?

3. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I carry one of those little atomic flash lights, got it at a pawn shop.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have a bunch of them too.

The magnet on the back works great under the hood -

Well it use to -

I just discovered the hood on my wife's Acura is not magnetic. I think it may be plastic -

But we owned the vehicle for over 2 years before I discovered it - I tried to use one of the HF lights - and couldn't get the magnet to stick!

5. astepup

astepup

I keep this up my Life Satisfaction Factor will be approaching Von Hays's number.

Jonesee and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

[​IMG]

5 pack $18.39

https://www.amazon.com/MODOAO-Zooma...ery+powered+led+5+pack&qid=1575218267&sr=8-33

If you search a little harder you can find an even better deal.

Lowe's had these on Black Friday special for $17.40 EACH!

I dropped one from my attic door in the garage, 8+ floor drop onto concrete floor

I figured it was toast - but I couldn't even find a scratch - still works.

They also come with an adapter to be used with two CR123a batteries - like I use in my Streamlight - I like to keep really good lightly used batteries in my Streamlight - so I replace them and use the old but still good batteries in these flashlights.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  7. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

I've purchased several models of those Cree lights off Deal Xtreme over the years. They are cheap and I haven't had any failures with serious use. The only problem I've ever had was when Duracell batteries leaked. Some models are over complicated in that they have 5 modes, but I found a basic model with one mode, that runs on a single AA battery, and they've been outstanding. One of the larger, 2 AA battery models is my nightstand light. It has the tail click on switch that makes it very handy. At 3am, you don't want to have to spin the light to find the switch.

Some, or maybe most, of the models with multiple modes have the convenient feature that if it is off for a while, when you turn it back on, it goes back into the mode it was in before you turned it off. If you have it in bright mode, turn it off for a while, when you turn it back on, it is still in bright mode. If you turn it right back on, it goes to the next mode in the sequence. It's irritating, and I wish there was a way of keeping it in the one mode. Or there may be and I haven't found it.

8. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

Those are great. I get them at Tractor Supply. I basically buy a couple every year before Christmas. Every year they change and mostly get brighter with fewer LED. Looking at my refrigerator, you'll see the generational history of those lights. They were pretty good at first, and have only gotten better.

Dr. Bill and ZekerMan like this.
  9. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I've had too many bad experiences with Maglites, the main one being you push a button and nothing happens. The pocket LED lites they give away at work are two-handed, unacceptable for a light that small.

Thankful for competition.

10. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

While there's nothing wrong with the eneloop batteries one might look at the Powerex or Imedion batteries by Maha Energy. I have used their batteries for several years and there excellent. Must have 40 or more in different sizes and they hold 75% of there charge for a year. The AA's are 2700mAh compared to 2000mAh for the eneloop's.
    upload_2019-12-1_12-38-13.png
    https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-2700mAh/dp/B06X9F27GV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=imedion+batteries&qid=1575225214&sr=8-1&th=1

If your going to spend money on good rechargeable batteries invest in a quality charger that is capable of deep conditioning system charges, deep-discharges and then recharges batteries automatically, in order to offer maximum rejuvenation. Your batteries will last for years.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

I have a lot of lights. I carry a small pocket light just walking around my house, having been in my fair share of dwellings and buildings when the power was off during my career.

Noticed this Surefire mini light while surfing a cop shop website.

I liked the idea of a flat body so it won't roll. The built-in USB charging is handy, too.

Ordered one on Amazon (free Prime shipping) to give it a try. Might carry it in a watch pocket, if only to serve as a backup my Fenix light.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Sid...e-Output+LED+Flashlight&qid=1576189749&sr=8-2

Rinspeed likes this.
  12. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Enloop Pros are 2550 mAh

13. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

OK, I was just trying to point out other alternatives available and the luck I have had with them. The more choices the better decision one can make.

14. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Glad you found one that meets your expectations.

Are you a hand model? :)

15. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I just got one of those for free at HF ( the clerk told me the flyer had a coupon for it when I was checking out, I didn't even know about it) and it's great.

16. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

A few years ago I had a friend and his wife got stuck in the woods after dark, following a multi-ATV accident. Some folks went for help; Bill and his wife sat in the woods in the dark, without a way out for the time being, wishing they had brought a flashlight.

I was the guy stationed at the trail head, as several rescue ATVs went up the trail. I had a strobe light going to let everybody know where 'base camp' was. Worked well enough, but not having a strobe wouldn't have changed the outcome dramatically. A simple light would have gotten the job done, but the strobe seemed so high-tech and cool. :cowboy:

Friend Bill said he wished he'd had one up in the woods, as he was 50 feet down from the main trail, and a strobe would have gotten the rescue ATVs there a little quicker.

Everybody got out unharmed. Always carry a light, especially in the woods, especially if you're going to be out after dark, whether you think you are or not!

17. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I have a 2 D-cell Maglight on top of my fridge that I used working Security way back in 2007. It has the halogen bulb, and I haven't got a LED conversion for it yet. But it is dead-nuts reliable, and I like it. I had a 4-cell before that that I gave to my buddy years ago. it was beat up and worn, and the button was missing, but it still worked. That's serious reliability.

My EDC light is a EagleTac T20C2 Mark II Digital that I bought new back in about 2011 or so. It uses rechargeable 18650s, I've got one charging right now and the other in the light. This light is great for me....it puts out 720 lumens on turbo mode (the latest edition after mine was bumped up to 850 lumens), which is perfect for me, and you have to twist the head here and there to get to the other modes. This is fine, because I prefer the brightest setting on demand the first time I shine the light at something. Click on, click off, adjust to a different setting as necessary. Mine has the XM-L T6 Cool White LED. It also comes with a couple of colored lenses and a diffuser that you screw on to the bezel.....I never use them though.

This light has helped me in a couple of tight spots: I used it to find my indoor-only black cat who got out at night...twice....and I used it with a double-fatality car accident that happened 50 feet from my front door. I've dropped it on a few occasions, but it just suffered some minor dings and nicks. Works great at all times....I love this light.

http://www.eagtac.com/html/t20c2/index.html

18. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Also very pricey at this point.

19. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

I never had a Maglite that lived, I just bought 3 Fenix E30Rs 1600 Lumens, side mode switch, tail power switch, rechargeable 18605 battery $64 at Battery Junction.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. ray9898

ray9898

Yikes....what a horrible looking beam. The $1 single AA lights at Walmart look better than that.

Wishoot likes this.