close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I figured it out!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MrTransport, Jun 14, 2012.

1. MrTransport

MrTransport

I just wanted to let you guys know, I finally figured out how to be a lot more accurate. I was shooting low and left and I was told by a really good shooter today, "you gotta let that trigger break, don't worry about the recoil just slowly squeeze and let it break when it wants to don't ever anticipate the break." it helped me tremendously! I put 4 out of 7 shots in the same hole! I'm loving this. Just wanted to let you guys know. And to help some new shooters like myself. Hang in there guys keep on shooting!

2. GTS197

GTS197

Proper trigger squeeze is a basic shooting fundamental....shouldn't have had to 'figure it out'.

Something else that may help; as you're pressing to the rear and focusing on the front sight, keep saying to yourself 'front sight, front sight, front sight'. Your mind will be focusing on that, and not the rearward press of the trigger. If you do it right, the discharge should be a complete surprise.

3. Rustin

Rustin

So, he should have just automatically known exactly how to shoot well from the start then? You don't start out being good, knowing everything. You learn/figure out the fundamentals and then go from there. The rest of your post (which I left out of the quote) was spot on though, it's all about the surprise break. Follow through is very important as well. I use the first joint, called the distal joint, to press the trigger.

4. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Lol you need more practice

5. MrTransport

MrTransport

@gts197
    I thought this forum was to help people and to get advice from different points of view?? I guess its only for pros like yourself. Go troll somewhere else dude.

6. DannyII

DannyII

That was a real light bulb moment, huh? Congrats!

When you are ready, try some ball & dummy drills to test yourself on how well you are doing. That drill will really help.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. AA#5

AA#5

Nice, warm welcome for a newbie to shooting & Glocktalk.

Hope ya feel better about yourself.

8. GTS197

GTS197

Dial it down slick, no disrespect was intended. Proper trigger squeeze and sight picture/alignment are the two most important fundamentals. If they are mastered then everything else is gravy, and you're ready to learn more advanced skills; fighting as opposed to merely shooting. Now you can get rounds where they need to go; continue to improve.

Another suggestion to assist in eliminating flinch. Load magazines with a mix of dummy rounds and live rounds. Mix up the mags so you don't know the order. When you hammer down on a dummy, the flinch (or lack of) will be noticeable. It'll also help with malfunction clearance training.

9. Adamz04

Adamz04

Im with ya dude, I've only been shooting a couple years and struggle with the fundamentals. My biggest problem is patience. I just want to go up there and rip me off instead of actually practicing.
    Here recently I started going to the range by myself and that has really helped me focus more. I used to always go with someone else and we would end up talking and not really trying to hard.
    I'm glad your skills are improving hopefully I'll be joining u.

10. jb1911

jb1911

You can achieve the same thing by using a 4# striker spring.
    :rofl:

11. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Taking a basic handgun class would help also. Just sayin'.

12. GTS197

GTS197

Haha...nice!

Think I'll stick with my A-Zooms :supergrin:

13. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

In my experience instructing newbies, many times there IS a kind of epiphany, light bulb moment when the trigger pull is finally mastered.. And no, it's not something we are born knowing. ha. Massad Ayoob and many other fine instructors like an "exemplar drill" with instructors pulling triggers for a student so they can feel this ideal trigger pull/break for themselves much earlier in the learning curve. I found it worked especially well back in the day with DA revolvers and DA/SA autos. Be safe.

14. MrTransport

MrTransport

I take my ccw course next weekend and I feel I am ready to perform proficiently enough.

15. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

You will do fine. Take your time and remember what that perfect trigger pull felt like while focusing on that front sight.
    Good luck and be safe. Post up and let us know how you did.
    And..... WELCOME

16. DannyII

DannyII

Congrats!
    Confidence with your weapon is very important to CCW success. CCW live fire is usually not timed, so take your time, and get the hits.

17. vetterestorer

vetterestorer

You may want to look closely at the glock trigger -- it is cut at an angle on both sides so that unless you are right over the center you will push to your right (if you are right handed). I imagine it is cut at an angle so it will not snag on anything. I am left handed and used to S&W revolvers and was shooting to the right untill I figured that out..

Richard

18. vetterestorer

vetterestorer

make that right handed to the left...Richard

19. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

congrats, I still need to take mine. My buddy took his a few months back and the instructor told him to bring 100rounds. Only 20 need to hit the target. According to him, quite a few people needed all 100. :wow:

20. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

For every pistol I have shot, I get myself used to the trigger pull by (of course making sure its not loaded first) pointing it a nail or other spot on the wall and dry firing it repeatedly. I adjust my grip and trigger finger placement until I get to the point that the front sight doesn't move off of that spot when the trigger breaks. You can see which way the front sight is going when the trigger breaks and give it more or less trigger finger until you have a static front sight picture. This helps to get your grip and trigger finger placement perfect so that your shots aren't going to the left or right of POA. Of course the rest of the equation takes more practice with live rounds to solve but this is a good start.

Lots of dry firing practice helped me get ragged one hole groups out of my LC9 which isn't easy to do. Every person I have taught to shoot doesn't get live rounds until they have spent plenty of time dry firing and mastering the trigger break.