i don't typically like PBS specials, but...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BEER, Feb 2, 2010.

1. BEER

BEER bad example

i just watched "triumph at carville: a tale of leprosy in america" and it was an amazing story. if you like heart warming stories of enduring love, human spirit, and the overall ability of the american people to overcome and make the best of what they have this is a story that will interest you.

p.s. it's available on netflix "watch instantly" if you've got that.

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

PBS does the best job at specials and/or documentaries, always have.

...as opposed to the so-called History Channel, Discovery & the like. History and Discovery used to be good though.

Nova and Nature both always have excellent programs and American Experience is the best of all. Last nights program about the Donner Party rocked.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

PBS is all that's really left in the documentary business. The one on the Donner Party last night was so chilling, I haven't eaten in a day. HH

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Yeah, PBS has great production savvy. The narrators will actually take a breath between lines and let you reflect on what you're watching.

The only show I watch regularly is Nature. The just outdid themselves with a show on remote areas of the Balkans. I asked my wife if we could move there, but she declined.

5. FLIPPER 348

The Balkans one was insanely good.

...almost as good as the Bald Eagle Nature program last week

6. LanceOregon

LanceOregon

Besides their documentaries, the Frontline news specials are also often very excellent. Tonight there is an outstanding report on Frontline about how the digital age has affected society in so many subtle and profound ways. It is very engrossing, and can also be seen online.

Their recent story on the life and death of that young Iranian woman killed in the election protests there was also outstanding. And equally good was their program called "The Warning", which detailed how some officials in the Clinton Administration warned that a financial crisis was building, and had wanted to develop new regulations to protect the system.

The shocking thing is that the people who thwarted this attempt back in the late 90's, ended up being some of the key people employed by the Bush and Obama White House to run our economy. It is a very disturbing show to view.

The neat thing is that you can view many of these specials online at PBS. Here is a link to all of the Frontline news reports that I mentioned:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/view/

And here is a link to view the Donner Party documentary online:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1401950336/

I did not know that Netflix was carrying PBS content now. I'll have to check that out. Did you see many other PBS specials available there for viewing?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I watched one the other day on PBS about Wyatt Earp. It was pretty darn good. Had me hooked. Now, unfortunately, I'll never watch Tombstone the same way again.

8. FLIPPER 348

9. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

History Channel had a doc on snipers. It was absolutely great with interviews and detailed descriptions of some exploits. The HC or Discovery hosts R. Lee Ermey on his gun show....always fun to watch! Overall, they're sure alot better than watching American Idol or MTV!