I don't own a Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bicycleguy, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Bicycleguy

Bicycleguy

Well, it's time to upgrade. My gen 1 XD .40 with 12 round mag is too outdated.
    I don't know squat about
    the different Glocks.
    I want a 9mm, high capacity and I want to concealed carry it.
    Milled for a Red dot? I don't know?
    Educate me please?

2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Several ways you can go with either a Glock 26, 19, 45 or 19X if you want something concealable with access to OEM high capacity.

With a Glock 26 you have options of 10 or 12 round mags. Or a 15 or 17 round mag with an Xgrip. And of course you can use higher capacity mags like the 33 round fun stick. As an example, my Glock 26 is carried (when I carry it) with a Glock 19 mag (15 rounds) and an Xgrip with a spare 15 round mag.

The Glock 19 is a half inch longer/taller give or take and has 15 rounds standard. If you want a bit more, either a 19X or G45 will give you a G19 sized slide with a 17 or 19 round mag.

Lots of options.

El Pistolero likes this.

3. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

G48 with the Shield Arms 15-round mags seems to be a popular choice. Easier to CC than a G17/19 and almost as much ammo.

4. Bicycleguy

Bicycleguy

You guys keep talking, I'm checking out everything you say.

5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

I like the 43x better than the G48. I like the shorter barrel and slide. It's a little more concealable and I like the way it balances in my hands. Same for the G45 and the G19x but I hate the Coyote Turd Yellow color of the G19x.

The G26 and G27 are a little too chunky for me to comfortably carry IWB and I've heard that the Gen 5's have fatter slides which makes them even more chunky and more heavy so I'd want one of the older guns and it's not hard to find one in good condition that hasn't had many rounds fired through it and there are Glocks with thousands of round put through them that aren't worn out.

Whatever gun you decide on, be sure you get to handle one first and see how it feels in your hands, or bettrer yet, rent one at a rang and see how it shoots.

And resist the urge to modify the gun until you've put 1000 rounds through it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Tuscany likes this.
  6. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

G19 or G26

I prefer a G26 with a Pearce +2 extension and a spare G17 magazine. Plenty of capacity and concealment is about the same as a flush magazine but the full grip makes for a more secure draw.

7. Pluto57

Pluto57

The standard G19 is the way to go. If you want the optic option, go with the MOS version.

Bus007, judgecrater, quantico and 2 others like this.
  8. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Yes, a gen 5 G19 MOS should fit your needs perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Bus007, judgecrater and Marilyn like this.
  9. sig357fan

sig357fan

double stack Glocks within caliber are able to use mags of its higher capacity "brother", in 9mm Glock double stack there is the sub-compact model 26 (10 rds), the compact model 19 (15 rds), the standard size model 17 (17 rds) and the model 34 (17 rds), all can use the higher capacity 24 rd and 33 rd mags and "+" mag floor plates can be used on any of the mags.

according the Glocks web site, only three of the Gen 5 models are MOS models and available to civilians, the Gen 5-19, Gen 5-17 and Gen 5-34, with the model 19 probably being the most common CCW carry weapon due to it slightly shorter grip fame/slide/barrel within the Gen 5 MOS line up.

another option is to find an older model (Gen 3/Gen 4) and have the slide milled to which ever RMR you like.

I would suggest you do some comparison shopping to find out which one you like, most gun store/ranges have the different models you can rent and try out, then compare the cost of a Gen 5 MOS with the cost of purchasing a Gen 3/Gen 4 and having it milled.

another feature of the Glock line is that 40 S&W and 357 Sig models are virtually identical to the 9 mm versions within frame size and a 40 to 9 mm aftermarket barrel/9 mm mags can be used in them.

other option are available from aftermarket parts retailers from customizing your Glock to caliber conversions, I carry a Gen 4-23 in 40 S&W and have a Storm Lake 40 to 9 mm barrel I use with 9 mm mags, an OEM 357 Sig barrel from a Glock model 32 and an Advantage Arms slide conversion in 22 LR, I can shoot four different calibers with one handgun.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    BarryR likes this.
  10. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

I ordered my first Glock, a third-gen 19, exactly one year ago today. I guess you could say it's my Glockaversary. Before the Sig 365 unseated it, the G19 was the most popular 9mm in the country for many years straight. It's a good place to start, IMO.

reniram likes this.
  11. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

I just bought a Springfield XDM9 Elite 3.8" which has 20 round magazines, memory pad on the grip safety, better trigger fiber optic front a nifty 'U' rear sights. would be great for Concealed carry in a OWB holster, and you are familiar with it. Shoots the 'Less Lethal' 9MM

Personally I often carry a Glock 33 which is the same size as G-26 mentioned by Deputy Dave above, except is a 357 Sig caliber. I can use the higher capacity 40 S&W Magazines just like Dave uses higher capacity magazines used in larger Glocks for his G-26. and I can change to a 40 S&W barrel easily. Same magazines and extractor.

Try the three sizes at a Glock dealer. There are generation differences in grip feel also. I have not tried the Gen 5 G-19 and might like it, where I do not like Gen 3 or 4 G-19 or 23 grip feel. One size might fit most, but not all. With your time behind a original XD40 grip, you might have a learning curve to accommodate to a Glock grip. I shoot both pretty good, muscle memory comes pretty quick.

12. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert

me neither.

triggers are garbage

mags reliable, pistols reliable, its the triggers....... yuk!

Glock was my 2nd purchase long time ago.
    Didn’t shoot her well, even after 2 years, was extremely reliable, that’s a given, it didn’t do it for me.

considering a 10mm .....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  13. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman

Just curious but what exactly do you find outdated. I recently picked up a deal on a XD40 at local.pawn shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

you would be really hard pressed to beat a 19. they are just kick ass guns. concealable and compact, (15)+1 cap., controllable, I can go on. If you want even smaller, there is the 43x. same size grip (a full one, not the junk grip from a baby glock with a 2 finger hold), slightly smaller barrel, and thinner. give up 5 rounds. gain 5 rounds back by getting the shield arms mags.

15. -JCN-

-JCN-

Im digging my G43x with a Romeo Zero dot on a Brownells optic cut slide, Overwatch DAT trigger and some lighter springs. It has the Shield S15 magazines so a gun similar in size to a P365XL with 15 round capacity!

JBL13 likes this.
  16. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

Great information provided thus far. I’d probably start with deciding between a single stack (43, 43x, or 48) vs. double stack (26, 19, 19x or 45). I find they shoot quit differently so if you can, get to a range and try some out. Good luck.

0.0-idontrun likes this.
  17. jmohme

jmohme

The 19 is my goto 9mm Glock.
    For my preferences it is the perfect blend of capacity vs size.
    Anything smaller just does not feel right in my hands, but as said above, this is just my preference.

judgecrater likes this.
  18. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

For around the house and range a Glock 34, for CCW a Glock 26. Magazines that fit the G34 will work in the G26.

19. zonian

zonian

G26 is your gun.

mike from st pe and sugerwater like this.
  20. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Disregard all the previous advice given and just focus on the two pictures below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xTerpx and Ahmid like this.