I don't get the Para bashing...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Critch, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Critch

Critch

I have a Para USA Expert. Very reliable, smooth as silk, and easy to carry..haven't done a thing to it...
    But on the interwebs there seems to be an awful lot of griping about Para....which I know has been bought by Remington. Did those pistols have a difficult period or something...I know two other folks with the same 1911 and they love them too...

2. tuica

tuica

Have had an excellently operating Para 10-45 for about 12 years now. Lotta bullets in a small package. Thanks for the slight motivation. I put it back into the CCW rotation tonight.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    DocPoison, glock1097 and DrewBone like this.

3. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I had a Para GI Expert a few years ago and if I didn't get a great trade-in price, I would still have it. It shot as good as any Colt I've ever fired.

azbuckeye, DocPoison and tuica like this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

They did have a couple of difficult periods when there were problems with the guns but since The Freedom Group bought them in 2012 there have probably been problems since then as well.

The first Freedom group guns were horrible and their customer service was even worse. They may be better now but I still wouldn't want to take a chance with Freedom group gun. You might get a good one, or you might not.

DubfromGA, Valmet and tuica like this.
  5. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I had a P14 .45 back in about '93. It was the biggest, most expensive POS I've ever owned. I put hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it and it never smoothed out. It would shoot sparks out all over the place. Gritty, rough and just plain garbage.
    Luckily, my boss was eyeing the gun a few days before I bought it and when I told him I was the guy that bought it, he told me that if I ever wanted to sell it he'd give me every dime I had into it. A few months later, I took him up on it.

6. DrewBone

DrewBone

Anything can get a bad rap, but it doesn't mean that your experience will contribute to it.

My Para Ordnance P10-45:
    20190726_104421.jpg
    20190726_104000.jpg

:D

7. 835mag

835mag

I've had a stainless Expert for years, my dad has the same gun only parkerized. They have been our main range plinker shooters. Many thousands of rounds, no issues. Even the triggers aren't bad for series 80 guns.

8. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

9. techiej

techiej

I used to have a para target elite that was a great gun. When I traded it in I had north of 15k rounds through it. Other than normal replacement of the recoil springs for pm and the occasional replacement of the fo rod it was great. Only reason it went is that I traded out all of my 45 1911's due to medical problems.

DocPoison and tuica like this.
  10. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I'm on a hunt for a nicely priced P13 for two years now. No luck, so far. That's the only Para I want.

DocPoison likes this.
  11. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

This sums up my thoughts on the matter perfectly.

DubfromGA and tuica like this.
  12. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

I have owned four Para's, one Expert, one Expert Carry and two basic 1911 style. The only problem I have ever had with any of them were traced to magazine issues. All were reliable, hit POA,

tuica likes this.
  13. jr24

jr24

I have a Remington double stack, apparently made by the bought out Para, and it runs just fine. Only complaint is the finish is even weaker than Kimpro, but that's a very minor complaint.

I've noticed the double stacks seem to be off of Remington's website, I wonder if that means they're fully dropped now, or maybe Para broke back off.

Not sure, anyone know? I wouldn't mind a railed Commander 14.45 (Recon or something like that)

DocPoison and tuica like this.
  14. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Plenty of people will down a particular firearm or manufacturer simply because they hear others doing it. They just regurgitate the same crap they read, even though they've never owned one before...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    DocPoison, DAKA, tuica and 1 other person like this.
  15. pgg00

pgg00

I have a para LDA 14.45. A decent fun gun. Very accurate.

tuica and glock1097 like this.
  16. Jack Black

Jack Black

I had a stainless P14-45 about 20 years ago. Worst gun I ever owned.

Deltic likes this.
  17. NoStress

NoStress

18. glock1097

glock1097

I have a PARA LDA CCW, great shooter. It disappears with my OWB holster under a polo shirt.

DocPoison and pgg00 like this.
  19. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

I've only had one Para....it was after their LDA trigger came out..but prior to the sale of the company..and it had that very LDA trigger.

It was a double stack.

It fed horribly. I cleaned & lubed and continued to try to break it in. Jamming never improved. Was hard to make progress with their customer "service". Not sure if they knew they were about to to be sold ???

I cleaned the gun up and traded it in to the dealer I'd bought it from. Took a little beating, but was glad to get shed of that source of aggravation.

When it comes to 1911 pistols...I have a short list of brands that I'll buy. Para & Kimber are not on that list.

Life is too short to deal with subpar quality and poor customer service.

Deltic likes this.
  20. DocPoison

DocPoison

I recently acquired a Para Executive Carry .45 ACP. This is a great gun beside the fact that I cannot get a recoil spring replacement ( a modified one from Kimber works). I love the full size grip with a three inch barrel. allegedly it was produced with VZ grips, EGW internals, Ed Brown mainspring housing and Ion Bond coating. Because of its spotty reputation, Para is not on my list of go to guns but with this unique gun, I am pleased.

2DFDE225-9E41-4C67-8D01-9C1D297D881C.jpeg

kahrcarrier, NFEDERIC, tuica and 3 others like this.