close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I discovered a new threshold of pain.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

So I get this head cold that left me with frequent nose bleeds after it cleared up. I call an ENT who says no problem, we see this all the time. Then it got ugly. Seems the bleeding was from a staph infection I picked up during the cold.

The solution was to numb my nose and sinuses then cauterize the infection and open blood vessels with silver nitrate and treat it with an antibiotic that targets staph. Easy, right?

WRONG!

He numbs me up with a spray then tells me I might feel some discomfort while he cauterizes the infection. Shattering my ankle was some discomfort. He was shoving swabs of caustic chemicals up my nose. This was pain. But then I got to drive home as the anesthesia wore off.

By the time I got home my sinuses, ears and throat felt like they were on fire and my eyes were swelling shut. Turns out I have an abnormal sensitivity to silver nitrate.:steamed:

Now everyone at work is wishing me well and reminding me of how many people die from staph including Jim Henson.

Next time I will self medicate with scotch and just pack my nose with burning gunpowder.

Add not being able to lay my head down without having my ears burn to my insomnia and I might be posting at 3:30 AM for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:wow:

Hope you get to feeling better!!

3. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

What ever you do, DON'T use black powder. That would bring new meaning to the words "blowing your nose"! Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. deputy tom

deputy tom

I hope your pain eases soon Brother.tom.

5. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

funny how they say we r going to numb you but then they say you might feel some discomfort..thats when you know your in trouble!!
    did they give you any thing for pain?
    :faint:

6. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I'm sorry, but your prosaic description made me laugh.

7. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

8. fgutie35

fgutie35

Anesthetics don"t work well when there is an infection. That is why doctors never pull infected molers out until you are treated with antibiotics. I learned that lesson the hard way!
    I had an infected moler that was killing me cause it had already gone to the nerve. I happened to be across the border at that time cause my mother was having back surgery and all the brothers and sisters were there for spport. Needles to say, I could not bear the pain anymore, so I walked to the closest dentist in Matamoros, Mex. and the dentist advised me that it was very infected and that the anesthesia would not work well. The pain was so unbeareable, that I was willing to take the chance. I had developed a very high pain tolerance and pain medication tolerance ever since I had back surgery, but this procedure, took the cake!
    The pain was indescribable. even though I was trying not to complain, back at the waiting area of the clinic where my mom was having surgery, my eyes would not stop tearing up. The side of my face where the moler was removed, felt like if it was submerged on molten lead. Needless to say, when the nurses at the clinic took notice, they were so kind to give me a shot of who knows what, but that did the trick. An hour later, I was eating street tacos with my gums still bleeding!:supergrin:

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Ha. Gunpowder. Goin all Rambo III on your ailments, yo.

Good luck. Sounds sucky. Have battled with sinus problems in the past. DISLIKE DISLIKE DISLIKE. I'm overly paranoid about sinus infections and I haven't had one in probably 4-5 years. I still am paranoid every time I get a little cold.

Freakin danged skippy Indian barely-speaking-english, didn't-really-diagnose-me-at-all doctor actually gave the the cure - never EVER take Sudafed. (He was just throwing spaghetti against a wall, but for me it was true.) I take Sudafed, my nose runs. I then blow it 3044832 times per day. And break blood vessels. Which get infected.

No more Sudafed (except in extreme cases) and no more sinus infections.

Worst part is, if you HAVE a sinus infection already, you might as well start taking Sudafed - just to get that crap out of your sinuses. Ick.

Man. I'm getting that sinking feeling in my stomach just from typing this. I REALLY feel for you.

10. owl6roll

owl6roll

Daaaannngggg! Sorry to hear that. And I'm comming down with a cold/crud mess!!!

11. Glock40man

Glock40man

Hope you get well soon.

12. JBCIII

JBCIII

OK, third try to post now...

I had a sinus infection a few weeks ago that was bad enough my throat swelled shut, and it hurt like crazy to even try to swallow. Dr (FNP) gave me a 'sinus cocktail shot'. I had to look it up:

Typical contents might include 1/2 cc of each of the following:
    • Brompheniramine (think Dimatapp / antihistamine)
    • Dexamethasone 8 (dex 8 is a long acting steroid to reduce swelling of sinus membranes)
    • Dexamethasone 4 (dex4 is a faster acting steroid)
    • Diphenhydramine (benedryl. This might or might not be included, depends on the doctor and the patient)
    Seems like a local thing, because my co-workers knew about it, and one gets hers twice a year as a preventative.
    All I know is that, although it made me tired, I felt better within a few hours... felt almost cured that night... and by the next day wouldn't have even known anything was wrong.

Swear by them now!

EDITED: It seems that in addition to my post disappearing three times and being unable to preview, it also removed my "get better soon".
    So, "Get Better Soon"!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Thanks Everyone.

I already feel better than I have in weeks. I just thought I was down because winter is hanging on.

14. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

[​IMG]

seriously though. get well soon.

15. okie

okie GT Mayor

I hope you get to feeling better my friend:angel:

16. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Dang, that sucks. It's hard to ignore pain right in your face like that. Had surgery on my nose and eye socket once and it was excruciating, so I kind of feel your pain, literally. Hope you feel better soon.

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Get well soon, BM. Here's hoping you're sleeping. :beer:

18. Ace90

Ace90

Staph sucks I got it in high school. Get better

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Homechicken

Homechicken

Damn man, sounds horrible. When I had my sinus surgery last April the doc said my sinuses were full of a staph infection that was encapsulated in some kind of goo that she likened to the green goo toy that used to come in a green egg, I think it was called Slime. It was just a gelatinous mass that was so imbedded she had to stretch it out by using suction so she could get a scalpel in behind it and cut it loose a little at a time. It was so packed in that the slightest slip with the suction wand and it would just snap right back into place like letting go of a stretched out rubber band. She told me I was very lucky the slime had encapsulated the staph infection or it would surely have killed me and that I had likely had it for years. I remember once when I was teenager my mom came home from the hospital and the docs told my dad to be sure he and I washed our hands frequently after contact with her to keep from getting a staph infection, its likely that's when I got it because I'd had sinus troubles since I was a teenager.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Same here. I had a bad injury 4 years ago and was stuck in bed letting my ankle heal. Between several trips to hospitals and clinics that could have exposed me and just sitting in bed with no exercise that could expel it out of my sinuses by heavy breathing, it just set up a nice home.

Been doing some research, Staph is nasty stuff.