I Didn't Know This

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cokeman, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

I read this on another board. These are the first two posts in the thread.

Poster #1
    My wife and I took some friends to lunch today in a down town Salt Lake City restaurant. This is a popular restaurant frequented by many of the yuppie liberal crowd so common in Salt Lake. I of course had my SA 1911 A1 GI on my right hip and 2 extra mags on my left. I took of my coat and sat at the table. There were 5 of us, and I sat with my gun and magazines in plain sight for well over an hour and no one seemed to notice.

I was sitting with my left side toward the main part of the restaurant and our waiter always approached us from that direction. Things had gone well and our very friendly waiter was still talking to us as I stood, turning my right side to the waiter and retrieving my coat from the back of my chair started to put it on.

I had my left arm in my sleeve and was about to insert my right arm in the other sleeve when our obviously alarmed waiter blurted out, "You've got a gun!" I said, "Yes would you like to see it." and I held back my coat so he could get a clear view. His next question was, "Are you a police officer?" "No just a citizen." was my reply. Then I showed him my permit and explained to him some of the things required to get the permit. By this time he was becoming more relaxed and finally I could see the light go on and then he said, with a note of understanding in his voice, "So your trained." My wife was the one that responded to this statement as she told him smiling, Yes you don't have to worry if there is a problem when he is here because he's got your back.

With a little time and patient understanding we helped to educate a young man who obviously knew very little about guns. His demeanor was vastly changed when we left, from the startled exclamation when he first saw my gun, to a much more relaxed one. This was a teaching moment and I think it went well.

I want to thank so many of the long time posters who have shared their own experiences and thus helped me to so I could be prepared to help others.

Poster #2
    Open carry of a loaded firearm is legal in Utah if a person has the Concealed Firearms Permit. The CFP allows a person to carry openly wherever it is legal to carry concealed, because the law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

2. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Guest

The law is written kind of backwards so a lot of people misunderstand it.

Anyone that can own a handgun can open carry it, 18+.

The law allows only CCW holders to have the gun loaded. Non-CCWers must have the gun two mechanical actions away from firing. i.e revolver with 2 empty chambers or a semi-auto with an empty chamber but a loaded mag.

3. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

But, can a ccw holder carry a gun in plain view like these guys are saying?

4. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Guest

Yes, CCW or Non-CCW can open carry but only one guys can be legally carried loaded.

Whether you get away with it is a different story. Disturbing the Peace is one charge you can get even though you've done nothing wrong.

In rural Utah you won't have a problem. Inside Salt Lake and some of Utah County you'd better not open carry.

If you can find the law you can read it yourself. It's backwards and confusing so most police officers don't know it's legal.

Best not poke the bear if you don't want drama come renewal time.

5. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

That's what I figured. If that is true, I worry alot less that someone might see my gun printing or inside my jacket.

6. Sambolijah

Sambolijah .

Yes, dont worry about it. Printing is a non-issue here.

I open carried a little before I got my permit. Never had any problems.

7. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

What city and what places? I am worried that if I open carry that someone will freak and call the police. I can see an officer disagreeing that open carrying is ok and giving me trouble.

8. Gibbles

Gibbles

I saw a few guys open carry in ST George, nobody seemed to care. (I was admiring one guys 1911 :) )

I also saw a bunch of those fanny packs

9. Sambolijah

Sambolijah .

Orem, Provo, Springville, etc.

Dress well when you do it.
    Most people didn't even notice me, or didn't say anything.
    The few people who said anything to me asked about it, in an honest way.

If you're worried about a cop, print off the section of Utah Code that discusses the issue. Carry it with you in a pocket.

10. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

Do you have a link to the exact section. I have been looking (not very hard)without success.

11. Sambolijah

Sambolijah .

12. JGoates

JGoates