close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I did something good today for someone else

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P Shooter, Feb 4, 2010.

1. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

I see this homeless lady everyday around my area and she never bothers anybody. Her sign says Please help, homeless, broke, very hungry. I stopped today at Dunkin' Donuts and bought a large coffee, bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel and a order of hash browns and handed it to her. She looked at me and almost cried, it really broke my heart. I have a good secure job and my wife is finishing her paralegal degree and already started working so I figured if everything is going so good for me why not help someone who is down on their luck.

If you guys walk past people in need everyday don't think they are just pain in the butts every time. Just once do something nice for one of them and I assure you it will make you feel good all day. I feel very good today knowing she at least had a good hot breakfast in her:supergrin:

2. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

3. TacticalBling

TacticalBling

Since she accepted food and wasn't just after money, I'd say you helped someone who really needed it.
    Well done, and I hope her life turns around for the better!

4. trifecta

trifecta

It's much easier for everyone to justify ignoring them by saying they are all addicts/alcoholics and dregs of society. And some of them are. Way to see and treat them as a person.

5. michael88

michael88

its hard to not stay jaded. i think what you did was awesome, but i had two experiences in which it made me not want to give. first was we drove past someone on the feeder road in houston saying he was hungry. we had just had an amazing meal and had lots and lots of to go stuff. we said would you like this its steak and potatoes etc, he looked us in the eye and said what the "f" am i going to do with that. the second i was driving home for the holidays from nacogdoches, and i had to stop in lufkin mall to pick up a present that was getting engraved. a guy in the parking lot comes up and starts this thing about pizza and wanting to selli to me so him and his old lady can get home for christmas or something and i todl him to save it how much did he need. he said whatever can help. so i gave him 10 bucks being in the holiday spirit, not 3 seconds after putting it in his hand he said got some more? i told him to get the heck out of my face. it really jaded me helping those who need it and appreciate it.

6. Smashy

Smashy

I tried helping a homeless person once, took him a lunch made by my wife and offered him a job (after getting the okay from my boss) that started at $2 above minimum wage, provided on-the-job training for a job skill that would bring pretty good pay later, and had full benefits. He turned down my offer because it didn't include a place to live with free rent.

7. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Thats what I feel most of the time I see them. Give a man fish and he will eat for one day, TEACH a man to fish and he will eat every day.

I don't know, I wonder if giving in to their pleas is enabling them to continue their lifestyle? Not to mention, our tax dollars go to programs to help these people and all the people donating to food banks to feed the homeless, why don't more take advantage of these programs to help them get back on their feet? Hell, around here the homeless sell the newspapers for the publications and get to keep whatever they make.

8. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

I used to help more often until I lost my main source on income

9. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

YOUR GOOD PEOPLE, I always said GIVING starts here in America First..I SALUTE YOU...:wavey:

10. area727

area727 G23

Great Job! (next to offering them a job), thats the best way to help them. Buy the food, and bring it to them. That way they dont take the money you just handed them to go buy the drugs/alcohol.

...and then theres always that honest guy standing on the corner with the sign "Why lie? I need beer money"

11. chuckman

chuckman

I sometimes give homeless folks food...never money, but food. Sometimes they are grateful, most are, but occasionally some just want money (for booze/smokes/drugs, whatever).

12. Smashy

Smashy

There's a guy at my local WalMart that holds a sign saying "Attacked by ninjas; need money for karate lessons."

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

You did a good deed for the day.:supergrin: Now play the lottery.

14. AV1911

AV1911 Cali Girl

Now that's a good one!! :rofl:

15. Glocker08

Glocker08

Good job sir. :thumbsup:

16. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Hell..... i'll give that guy a dollar for creativity. When i was in Hawaii last summer on the main strip there was a guy with a sign saying need money for alcohol research. I laughed and he laughed and i said a "thats a good one" and gave him a few bucks for honesty. :supergrin:

17. goatranch

goatranch

God bless you.

I changed a tire for a lady this morning. she wasn't homeless...just our neighbor.

18. ManNamedJed

ManNamedJed

A few years ago a guy approached me in the Home depot parking lot asking for money for 'gas to get home' he had at least $150 in piercing jewelry hanging off his face. I turned him down.

Two weeks later, other side of town, Wendy's parking lot, same guy approached asking money for food. Same heap of face jewelry. I said sorry, couldn't spare any. Then proceeded to feed my dog (who was in the back of the truck) all my french fries while watching him.

Usually I'm pretty generous, but this guy was obviously a ******bag beggar who was lying to get people's money.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If they look like they're in decent physical condition and can hold some sort of a job, they don't get a dime from me. If they're the elderly or severely handicapped, that's a totally different story.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You did good.:)

In 1960 I was a Policeman. One Sunday morning while going through a alley I walked up on a man going through the garbage cans behind a closed restaurant.
    The man and I stood there for a minute looking at each other.
    I was trying to think of something to do. There was no place around open where I could get him something to eat.
    After a minute the man turned and walked away.
    After fifty years it still bothers me that I didn't do something.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010