I detest used car dealers....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Feb 15, 2020.

1. HJB

HJB

Yes, I know and thanks

2. Terry G

Terry G

Used car salesman: Needs some body work, I'd say fair to good condition.

Sharkey likes this.

3. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

You should make a thread and post the pictures. I’d love to see some. Anything not deemed mod safe can be PM’d to me!

4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

That's exactly what I do. I tend to "drive a car into the ground" over a ten year period. Like you, I save for the next one while doing that.

Just_plinking, Joshhtn and Rinspeed like this.
  5. berto62

berto62

That is a lot of cars. How much time do you spend looking at auction cars you are buying? I find the car business fascinating.

Joshhtn likes this.
  6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Not only would I buy that book, I'd pay damn good money for it too!!

7. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

As do I.

Dan probably thinks it's just another job, but what he does intrigues the heck out of me!

astepup, OGW, pgg00 and 3 others like this.
  8. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Custom front end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pgg00 likes this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

My dad did that. Made down payment when deal set. When I picked it up with him he paid total except $1. They said just pay the buck and we are done.

10. BSA70

BSA70

A guy in the biz was saying that buying a "certified" used car means absolutely nothing. Is that true?

11. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

They certify that someone else drove it before you, that's about it.

OGW, pgg00, Terry G and 1 other person like this.
  12. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

It’s only going to get worse. As artificial intelligence and 13 yr old Asian factory workers replace American jobs, were just going to resort to robbing each other as Bezos watches from outer orbit with Zuck.

13. ditto1958

ditto1958

I have worked in car sales. I worked for three different dealerships, all of which were very honest and transparent when dealing with customers. The OP seems to be trying to ignore or deny something important: auto dealers are in the business of buying and selling motor vehicles for profit.

Vehicles and real estate are two of the only things left where prices are negotiable. Many people these days don’t like that. But it’s a fact of life in our country. You can go to one car dealer, get a quote on a vehicle, get an offer on your trade-in, accept both and drive home with your new wheels. Or, you can shop around, negotiate and often save a lot of money.

Most buyers over value their trade in vehicle. They tend to check Kelly Bluebook and stop there. Nothing against Kelly, but their used car values tend to be way too high, at least in the areas where I worked. Most buyers think their trade in vehicle is in much better condition than it really is.

But... if you do your research, and you are sure you know your vehicle is worth, and you are convinced they are lowballing you, you have options. The first is obvious- go somewhere else. See what other dealers say. The second is negotiate. Tell them what you believe it’s worth and why.

Another good tactic is to wait. Wait until the sales person or sales manager calls you back and asks you if you’re still interested in the new vehicle you picked out. Tell them yes, you liked the vehicle and you liked the price... but you really need to get more for your trade. The salesman or manager will look at the deal and will see if they have room to move. They often will offer more to earn your business. Or, they’ll say no, but they will usually say why.

Online sites will give you a price for your trade. But that’s usually it. Often there are other factors involved. Maybe cars like yours are sitting on lots for too long before selling. Maybe the dealer doesn’t want your vehicle on their lot. When that happens, they get bids from other dealers and wholesalers, and then the price they offer you is the best offer they got for your trade- which often is a lot less than the online “bluebook” price. That offer from a wholesaler is real, while the value you get online is just a number. Why would a dealer pay me more for my car than they can sell it for?

We are very fortunate living in America. We have choices. I guess some people can’t handle that.

Just_plinking likes this.
  14. Sharkey

Sharkey

Ditto, I think we all get dealers need to make a profit and I am in favor of it. The Audi dealership where I got my Infiniti was VERY nice and I got coffee and a snack.
    That said, I think most don't want to get figuratively raped by the dealer and though you might not do that and the places you work for haven't, there are plenty that do.

When the sales guy asks me what I owe for my trade, I ask what you really paid for the car I am interested in. Too many places still play the game.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Time is on the buyers side. Unless you have to buy now. If so you will pay more.
    The first NEW car I’m considering for myself. (Have done deal for family, friends on new, or used. But never bought new car myself)
    I got mad last night as I looked up car on website. Price was just a couple hundred more then his offer.... then I remembered that was after tax, all fees...

16. HJB

HJB

But what they "really paid for the care you are interested in" is really no longer worth knowing. Things of changed from the day that you could buy a car for $XXX over dealer cost and know pretty well what that cost is.

Car companies managed to cloud up the issue by significantly raising the "dealer cost" to the point that it's not worth even asking that. Because it's probably way more than they will sell you the car for. They now play games with rebates, dealer incentives and all kinds of other BS to final cost to the dealer. So, you really can no longer buy a car like that, and it's really hard to find their bottom line.

larry_minn and Terry G like this.
  17. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Maybe you didn't read the part in post #3 where I said:" I know businesses have to profit, got no problem with that." My problem is not that any car dealer profits, it is that they want to tell me that they will give me, at the very best, as much as what they can get at the auction for my car, and some offered ridiculously less than that, but work the deal based on a price that is 2 or 3k OVER high end book according to NADA or KBB.

One dealer I stopped at advertises "Easy, No haggle Pricing" but everything on the lot is priced at 2 to 3k over what it should be. No haggle pricing is great if it's reasonable, not so much if they're asking 20 or 25% more than what the value of the vehicle is.

18. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I live in the DFW area so there are a lot of car dealers. Last summer I was in the market for a new car. This model was popular and generally about 6% off sticker. Anyhow, a dealer ad kept popping up on my tablet for the car I was researching that was priced considerably less than other dealers. I called and talked to a sales guy who assured me that the advertised prices were true and in stock. The next day I drove the 75 miles to the dealership, met with the sales guy I had talked to. He went and got the car I was interested in and we went for a test drive. I said OK, let’s go in and see if we can work out a deal. He sat at his desk and whipped out a laminated window sticker with the good advertised price.
    .....But also in the laminated thingy was a list of *dealer installed options*, wheel locks, extra tinted windows, gee whiz wax, seat protectant, etc, etc. totaling $7,500. I said, fine I just want the car with no dealer installed options. He told me all their cars had dealer installed options and couldn’t be purchased without them. Needless to say, I gave him a piece of my mind and left. Not sure if it did any good but I left bad reviews on Yelp and Google.

19. pgg00

pgg00

Ditto

Just_plinking and jimcorbin like this.
  20. HJB

HJB

I managed to learn that BS trick last year without driving 75 miles to find out. Now the way I buy a car is to send an e-mail message to every dealer that sells what I'm looking for and tell them I want to get their "best and final" offer on a car with no "dealer installed options" and tell them I am going to order a car and do not want any of those installed when the car arrives. They don't like that and will really push back on that but I just tell them to forget it then. Sometimes you get e-mails with that information back and sometimes you don't.

They always want you to come in to the dealer and drive their car and talk about it. I just tell them forget it and wait until I get that from them. Then I either make a deal or don't.

But they all now use that "dealer installed option BS" to jack up the price. Quite irritating.

BGDaddy likes this.