I detest used car dealers....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

my Honda Pilot has 240k on it. I can put $1000 into it per yr and it will run forever. But Soon, I will sell it myself for a decent price, and not give it away to a dealer. Then I will buy something similar, with 50k on it and get 10 yrs out of that.

I will go in there with a reasonable offer, in a cashiers check, with another 500 in cash for a counter, and they can take it or leave it.
    Wish me luck.

cougar_ml and Jringo8769 like this.
  2. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

True story.

My neighbor owned a used car lot when I finished high school. He came over and said congrats and asked if I needed some extra money and did I want to paint his deck?
    So I spent about 12 hr painting his deck and when I was finished he said how much did he owe me? So I figured $10 an hr and said $120? He laughed and said how’s 50? I said that’s not even minimum wage?

he said “next time negotiate upfront”

Good lesson from a master.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020

3. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

Don't forget sales tax in your decision. $10K car $5K trade-in you pay tax on $5K not $10K.

Just_plinking and jim goose like this.
  4. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well said, Tim, very well said.

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

It’s not a trade if you’re selling.

Rinspeed likes this.
  6. First shot

First shot

My semi-retirement gig is driving a transit bus, so I see lots and lots of vehicles everyday...past few years, I’ve noticed many really nice high-end sedans on the road.. I also see a lot of them in used car lots that are 4-5 years old...The economy is good, and there’s not as many 10 year old cars as there was 4 years ago...The market might be kinda flooded right now...If you can hold off a while it may change...

7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Another factor for the dealer is everything brought to them is reported as running, great condition, always well maintained, but in reality, there’s a reason most people get rid of vehicles. A friend of mine has a lot, you should see what people try to get past him. I never would have imagined how many people never change their oil. He got to where he doesn’t do trades, at all. Just buying them from the auction, fixing them up, selling.

Just_plinking likes this.
  8. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

I have a rich sister and brother in law.
    They just go and buy what they want and don't worry about the small stuff.
    She recently had a nice taco for her son with very nice tires. Maybe 8000 miles on them.She sent the son to a tire shop thinking it's about time for new tires and left the other ones there.

9. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Well, the state of KS agrees with you. I don't see the difference myself. Trade or sale, the end result is the same. Title of the vehicle passes to another party for some amount of money.

10. berto62

berto62

Kinda off topic a little but, I regularly drive by the Manheim auction in Orlando and it's just amazing how many cars go through that place every week.

11. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Has anyone ever really TRADED someone (a business, not individual) who says "we buy, sell, TRADE"?

12. mdlott

mdlott

You're making a hell of a "first" impression. That's for sure.

13. fg17

fg17

This site is pretty tame compared to others I’ve been on.

14. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

When you walk into a used car dealers web you become bait fish. They will offer you a great deal on a used car. They will assure the previous owner kept the car in great condition. The dealer's expert mechanics has gone completely thru this car. Once you sign for the purchase? The salesman offers you an extended warranty on the used car that could blow up leaving his car lot. :kidding::car:

Jringo8769 likes this.
  15. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Satire-meter acting up, is it? :cool:

He’s making fun of how frequently those sentiments appear on this forum, most notably in the lazy-millennial-bashing threads that come floating down the river on a seemingly weekly basis. ;)

SNOWFLAKE
    DON’T WANNA WORK FOR ANYTHING
    NO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
    WANT EVERYTHING GIVEN TO THEM/WANT EVERYTHING THEIR WAY

etc, ad nauseam...:chatter:

I’d hardly call that “bullying”, as someone or other alleged. If only there was a frank and open two-way conversational thread about what constitutes “bullying” we could have with the mods... :sigh:

AdamRodgers, OGW, pgg00 and 5 others like this.
  16. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    My friend just bought a new car in the $45,000 range. He would’ve paid cash but In order to get the best price he had to take an 8% loan from Ford motor credit. He financed half of it. There’s no prepayment penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_minn and jimcorbin like this.
  17. nursetim

nursetim

I don’t consider it bullying either.

jimcorbin, Joshhtn and Rizzo like this.
  18. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Orlando is a slightly smaller sale than Manheim Dallas...and Dallas has like 11k cars a week in the busy season. It is crazy.

BGDaddy and berto62 like this.
  19. The_Dan

B4F61AA0-E153-4F8B-A05B-EE175491F151.jpeg
    unrelated...but funny. This happened on a test drive Saturday. This car was bought from Audi Financial a couple weeks ago... 20k miles. The moral of the story, bring marshmallows.

20. The_Dan

I’m 16 years in...most of it buying cars for dealerships. I buy 2000-2500 direct trades a year and previously bought 7000-10000 cars at auction a year. I look at a lot of cars, sometimes I dream of them (sadly). I also managed arbitrations (returns to the auction for damage etc) for couple years and inspected/noted damages that were able to be verified and returned for a refund.

I used to keep pics of goofy damage on my phone...then I moved into pics of weird things I find in cars, I always wanted to make a coffee table book of bizarre items in cars but figured only I would be entertained by it.

I see terrible repairs, some dangerous, performed by unqualified shops or home mechanics in an effort to keep the Carfax clean... it’s pretty sad and occasionally gets me fired up when some jackhole has their family in a vehicle held together with duct tape because that stupid online history report (that no dealer trusts anyway) is more important than filing an insurance claim and getting a professional repair performed.

It is shocking. Some people are very optimistic and apparently have no fear of a painful death.