close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I could use some help please...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I have to get a new computer before the end of December. I have a Dell now and my PC-cillin expires this coming Monday. I’m running Ad-Aware SE, Spybot-Search and Destroy and Spy Sweeper.
    What other security feature(s) would you load on that’s free?

Thanks!

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd format and install any flavor of Linux you like.. ;)

Seriously, I like AVG and Ewido. Both work very well, and both seem to detect most of the internet silliness out there.

Just remember, If you're using an always on connection, all the AV software, spyware software, etc, is no subsitute for a quality hardware firewall. I believe thats why most people have the troubles they do, because they simply trust their software to do the work that a hardware firewall should be doing.

IGF

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Pretty much what DC said :thumbsup: Indy has a good point too ;)

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

7. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Got rid of Pc-cillin and loaded up Zone Alarm.
    I've been using Ad-aware and Spy-bot for long as I can remember, and they seem like old friends, but I'm dumping them for the new friends.
    Spy-Sweeper I paid for until Dec. of this year so I'm going to keep that up (smart to do or redundant).
    Been using CC and FireFox for over a year as well.
    Scanning with AVG as I write, then going to load Ewido and run CC, disk clean and reboot.

Thanks everyone, for all the help.:)

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I find that Adaware finds more things than Spybot.Ewido finds more than either one and finds everything they find.To keep the program count down Ewido gets that job on my PC.SpySweeper is a good one and offers full time protection but it really slows down my PC!!!I understand that any running programs such as anti-virus,firewall and anti-spyware are going to slow the system but SpySweeper brings my PC to a crawl.I've chosen SpywareBlaster for spyware protection.AVG bought Ewido and now has a new version with a new name but I haven't tried it yet.It requires that Ewido be uninstalled.Some websites say it also stays free after the trial time like Ewido but so far on AVG's website I haven't found where it says this.I am still getting updates for Ewido right now so I'll keep it for a while.Zone Alarm is one of the easiest firewalls t use.Some people with wireless connections have problems using it and better luck with Comodo Firewall.I've tried it but haven't used it much.Zone Alarm has been around a long time.