close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I could not believe how screwed Dell is!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HVAC-TEK, Jul 25, 2006.

1. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

I am a network admin for a local office of a large insurance company. We use Dells due to the service given to us by their Big Business division. I have my BBD rep and have been really happy with them. It never occurred to me NOT to recommend them.

I was asked by a small business owner if I could help him with the new network that he was going to be getting. He was concerned that the computer company was trying to shaft him and asked that I review their quote.
    The quote was far more than I felt was fair, and the lack of any tape back up equipment was a little bit unsettling.

(Are you ready? This is where it all goes to hell..)

I called my Dell rep, who set me up with Dells "Small business division." I was able to get my small business owner a great price on some good equipment. I was pleased that I could help, and suggested he place the order.

The Parts came from every ware. Some shipped by UPS, some shipped by other companies. The main server came delivered by a strange dilapidated van that had a trash bag taped to the spot where the rear window should have been.

The computers were delivered within the first two weeks, but the server didn’t arrive until week four. (And four nasty phone calls later.)

I am still missing my antivirus and Ethernet Switch and it’s been well over five weeks.

When I call, I can’t talk to my Small business rep. Turn around time between leaving a message and getting a reply is three days.

When I talk to "post sales", I’m told....It’s been delivered....It’s been canceled....It will arrive tomorrow.

When I demand to cancel the order saying "antivirus is critical and I needed it four weeks ago, I’m told that they...."can’t do that".

All in all, im honestly floored. I knew that Dell could be bad, but I never imagined that any group could be THIS BAD, yet remain in business.

I’m ordering the Antivirus through another company and having it overnighted. I guess I will have to fight for the price difference from dell.

Now I have to tell the small business owner (who trusted me) that we will be fighting Dell over the cost of the antivirus, and not to accept any deliveries from dell in the near future. (Just in case they decide to ship it)

I can no longer recommend Dells Small Business division, and warn everyone to steer clear or risk damaging your reputation.

K

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I think Dell makes all their reputation on premium accounts (large business). The rest is taken care of until the order is taken, then is routed through India and into a black hole.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, that's how they get the bulk of their revenue...

Their reputation comes from this sort of thing, and their outsourced Indian help desk fiascoes.

This is why I always tell my clients (and you folks) to avoid these suckers. People, particularly seniors, have given up computing totally after getting a 'good deal' on a Dell from Hell.

HP, Gateway, eMachine, Dell...none of them are worth two squirts of warm piss compared to a decent whitebox solution, and that goes for enterprise-wide workstation/server setups as well as for Grandpa's first computer.

Remember the Data Processing mantra, folks...Trash In, Trash Out. And these OEMs are locked in the death-struggle of an unending price war.

They cut corners in every conceivable way...and the real loser is always the end-user.

Try to not be a loser.

Sincerely,

Eric

4. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

It’s sad to say......but you are right.

I deal with dell through my admin job, and IBM through my Campus work. I think im going to start recommending the IBM's

IBM is expensive, but reliable.

K

5. c6601a

c6601a

Your opinoin and experience with Dell, when working through their big business division, has been excellent. Your first encounter with their small business dividion has been dismal.

Similarly, your experience with IBM's big business division has been excellent. What makes you think their small business dividion will be any better? Do they still have a small business division? How big do you have to be to qualify as a "small business?"

6. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

You could very well be right. IBM may be just as screwed up. As for your question on the "small business” I don’t know because I didn’t think to ask.

In your post you mention that it was 'one experience” This honestly got me thinking. I tend to be tuff on the writings that I post. I often reread them to ensure that they are accurate. Or to see if I am being fair and reasonable.

I did an honest reevaluation of the whole experience and I can honestly say that it was ridiculously bad. This one experience (that is going on week five with no resolution) is more than enough for me to never use them again.

1) Based on hanging up on a customer three times over a span of five weeks.
    2) Not returning calls for three days.
    3) Asking to talk to a manager and getting a 'voice mail'
    4) Sending product that was not ordered and requiring us to pay return shipping.
    5) Leaving a network unusable due to not shipping the anti-virus. (Even after telling them it was never received)
    6) The inability to cancel the items in question.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because we all have off days. This isn’t an ‘off month’ for Dell.

It’s simply Dell telling me ‘Loud and clear’ that they don’t want us to buy their product.

K

7. malkore

malkore

I can tell you two things about my company's experience with premiere Dell support contracts...they SUCK.

hours on the phone and no resolution.

but, we're also a microsoft certified partner with a premiere support contract, and they suck just as bad.

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I only wish vacum cleaners sucked as much as Dell's support staff. I have used dell for about 8 years and the computer we ordered back in 2003 is our last from them. Any new desktops will be built custom, by myself and any lappies will probably be IBM. Dell shovels as much manure as all the people in India Pakistan US Canada and Mexico combined produce.

9. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

I used to be a huge Dell fan. Haven't ordered anything from the recently. I assume there's a reason their market share keeps slipping, it can't be just 1 or 2 people.

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

This is the price of pathological cost cutting at the expense of quality and offshoring support to India. [​IMG]

11. ajkahr

ajkahr

I used to work there. Not a happy place.

I also used to work for a large active trader firm that used Dell's. I was hired right after the company was purchased by a very large instituional trading company and over the 4+ years I worked there, our IT dept started merging more with the new parent...

The new parent company has been a Compaq/HP house from before time. We were brought under their HP enterprise account and bought Proliants for nearly half off. Then I started seeing the difference in quality, reliabilty and progressive knowledge of HP/Compaq. Dell reinvented the wheel in large-enterprise class servers. Compaq had 8-10 years on them before they even started. Proliant servers still kick major *** over PowerEdge any day of the week!

How many times has Dell changed drive caddies in the servers over the last 7 years? About 7. And HP/Compaq Proliant? 2 and it was a very minute difference.

Not to mention Dell missed the boat on AMD Opteron chips. They've now made their token gesture to AMD fans and we aren't giving them the time of day. I'll take a DL585 loaded with 4 dual core Opties over any Dell server any day. And don't even get me started on Dell's blade solutions. They are absolute JUNK!

12. sneakyracer

sneakyracer

My experience is that during the past 5-7 years Dell has gone waaaaay downhill. Dunno why, dont care. Im not gonna buy one.

13. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

There are some good people in this forum, and I wanted to get the word out.

K

14. sneakyracer

sneakyracer

Your story definately Helped in reinforcing the fact. :patriot: Thats the value of the net

15. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

No such thing as customer service, it's not only Dell it's a plethora of other companies who have outsourced thier support centers to who knows where.

Customer service is just a word nothing else.

16. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Yes. However, I think we should consciously make a distinction between outsourcing which used to mean in the past that a corporation would hire an outside company in the US to handle specific parts of their business, and offshoring, which is a wholesale export of US jobs to low-cost countries. There is a huge difference in quality of results and accountability of participants in those two operations.

It's the pro-globalist media that appropriated the term outsourcing to make it sound more respectable. We should not let them get away with it.

17. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Guess what, world, there are other venodors of X86 hardware besides Dell. Christ, it's so painful to watch people buy it again and again and again like there's nothing else.

By Sun X86 boxes. Competitive price, awesome construction, low power, high performance, WICL certified, the list goes on...

Will they be as cheap as a Dell? Nothing is a cheap (in every way) as a Dell. If you want garbage, go ahead, but it.

-Stooxie
    p.s. Yes, I work for Sun ;)

18. berniew

berniew Liberty

We fall in the 'mid range' position for Dell and they definitely have gone way downhill. Unfortunately HP are NOT much interested in our business. I guess the prospect of a measly 300-500k a year in computer gear isn't worth their trouble

19. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

http://www.sun.com/x64/index.jsp

I'll shut up after this. Seriously, though, check it out. Sun's worked very hard to make a line of X86 servers that actually does what people want and it's like no one can stop buying Dell or HP no matter how much they hate them.

-Stooxie

20. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I'll share an experience on the other side - I own a small business with ~15 desktops, and since mid-2004, we've replaced all the old white-box machines and bought new-hire from Dell - I buy mostly mid-range machines when they show up with extra discounts, so it's a mix of Dimension 4600, 4700 from 2004-5, and Dimension 5150, 9150, Optiplex GX620 for the 2006 machines. Also a pair of Inspiron 600m laptops, and a new Inspiron 6150 Core duo laptop.

So far, I've called tech support twice - once for a bad video card on a 4600(replaced via mail next day under warranty, spoke to english-speaking and helpful tech support), and once for a loud processor fan on a GX620 (replaced on-site next business day by their tech, also spoke to english-speaking and helpful tech support). Neither incident resulted in machine downtime, other than the 1 minute it took for me to swap the cable to the onboard video port.

I know others have had bad experiences, but I've bought ~20 Dells in the last two years, mostly one at a time, occasionally two at a time, and have gotten an oustanding set of well-performing, reliable, reasonably priced (especially when you upgrade to a larger flat-panel monitor) computers.

I've made two tech support calls in two years on 20 machines, and both were resolved within 24 hours by competent people who seemed interested in helping, and with no hassle.

I'm not discounting all the bad experiences others have had, but I can say that I keep buying from Dell because they've delivered exactly what I want, when I want it, and have done so in a way that causes me no difficulties. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

As for white-box - you can get/build a great white-box machine, or a crappy one. Our batch of prior machines were crappy - loud, poorly ventilated, I'm not sure a single one still has a working CD-ROM drive, etc.