I cannot shoot my Glock straight.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sechott, May 18, 2018.

1. Sechott

Sechott

I’m a Sig guy that bought the 19X a few month ago. I pretty much rule the dualing tree at 15 yards with my Sigs. When I shoot the tree with the 19X, I need to aim a few inches high and to right to hit the 6” plates consistently. I’d like to master the 19X, but I believe it would compromise my accuracy with my Sigs. Maybe I’m a one platform shooter, but I’d like to be able to shoot the 19X as well as my Sigs. So I’m asking for advice.

2. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Sight-Image-NavyGuy.jpg Know your sight picture! There are differences between Glock and Sig in that regard. And familiarize yourself with the trigger break. Practice with both. And you will be able to switch back and forth with no trouble.

Toni77, L-2, GlockTrader45 and 2 others like this.

3. Bluescot

Bluescot

When I keep messing up with my accuracy I've found it helpful to give my handgun to a buddy and let him either load it or unload it using just one round and then let me shoot it without checking on anything to see if it is hot. I've found myself with some serious movements of the gun at the time of release of the trigger, others would call that "flinch" but that seems unduly harsh. :crying:

Another tool is to shoot at longer distances say beyond 50 yards, if available, with both shooters and see how they react and how you react to them at that distance. Errors in trigger release at those distances can be embarrassing.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Sechott likes this.
  4. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

The thing with Glocks is they have tough triggers for a novice to master. A Glock trigger is unforgiving of anything less then really good trigger control, and will punish you (for a right handed shooter) with an endless string of low left hits. Master a Glock trigger and all else will begin to feel like shooting a tuned 1911...

DKC, Glock Commander, L-2 and 5 others like this.
  5. John_AZ

John_AZ

Also helps to have a good firm support hand grip

L-2 and Gloctapus like this.
  6. glide

glide Just sayin'

Practice, practice, practice. I shoot several different handguns but I basically sight them in the same. I shoot as much as I can and I am consistent with all my firearms. I prefer revolvers over semi auto handguns though. I'm just old school.

Sechott likes this.
  7. Rocky7

Rocky7

Realizing your limitations is step one, step two determine what’s important. Step three set a plan in motion and step four the hardest, follow it.

Most people will not shoot all platforms well. Most people want to be a great shot, desire to collect everything that appeals to them. Failure to address distractions that consume money and time and then diligently follow through with a plan seems to be more human nature.

Enjoying ones Life though may be the most important instead of accomplishments via a plan.
    Choose your path and enjoy.

L-2, glide and refugeepj like this.
  8. dbow

dbow

X2. My glocks name was Beverley, but now I call it “Kentucky Windage”. It’s getting old and I’m frustrated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sechott likes this.
  9. Gloctapus

Gloctapus

Is your display pic how you grip the Glock? If so, I’d change that, first.

Glock Commander and WeeWilly like this.
  10. kp352g

kp352g

Your pistol must be defective. Please send it to me for proper disposal.

refugeepj likes this.
  11. ScottR65

ScottR65

Since you're already a good shooter, this reply won't contain shooting lessons. I'm a GLOCK guy (19s, 17s, 22s & a 43) that recently bought a P320 X Carry cuz it's the first Sig that's looked right to me. All my GLOCKs are POA=POI @ 7-10 yards. The X Carry kept hitting a little high and right (I'm a lefty) @ the same distance. Being a Sharpshooter in IDPA, was pretty sure my fundamentals were consistent (grip, stance, sights, trigger) with each pistol.

No buddy around to let shoot the X, so I switched hands thinking if it was a grip issue, then it should now hit a little to the left (bullets travel in the path of least resistance). Nope, still a little high and right. I moved the front sight a tad right. Bingo. POA=POI. My point being the Glock sights might be a tad off a little which is not uncommon at all from the factory.

12. Jamesdo72

Jamesdo72

Are you saying that the support index finger over the front of the trigger guard could be a detriment to accuracy?
    I cut my Glock teeth on a 26 & with big(ish) hands, it feels natural to do so. Call it muscle memory, but that grip "style" has carried over to my 17 as well.
    On that note, I don't have a problem with low & left, but in competition my second shot is often not an Alpha. Could be that my grip contributes to that, I suppose.

WeeWilly likes this.
  13. Sublimeon24s

Sublimeon24s

Obviously a Lone Wolf locking block is in order here :)

michpatriot and Gloctapus like this.
  14. BobR1

BobR1

I suggest Step One: Do the 25 Cent Trigger Job. A better feeling trigger will help a lot. Do not skip the Firing Pin Safety Plunger when polishing your parts.

Bob R

15. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Many have this problem. Assuming your front and rear sights are aligned, take off the back straps and give the trigger more finger. Also, glocksnreally require good use of your support hand. It’s a relatively heavy trigger vs a DA sig or CZ, even the 320 trigger is lighter. It’s taken me about 5000 rounds the last yr.

Not an instructor, but this is how I beat it.

16. DonaldDenver

DonaldDenver

Which of your three sight images is correct? As a kid I learned #1 was correct. Now after seeing all three, #2 looks correct. #3 seems to look like a low shot will be the result.

17. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

It takes more than practice. It takes proper practice. 10,000 repetitions doing it incorrectly yields perfect incorrectness.

When learning the following technique, you will be physically and mentally tired after 1-200 rounds.

1. Athletic stance. Get comfortable on the balls of your feet. Have someone try to push you backwards. If you fall back, you are not centered enough.
    2. Strong hand as high on grip as possible.
    3. Wrap weak hand/fingers as far around grip as possible. Weak thumb points forward where you still have weak palm pressing on strong hand fingernails. Weak fingers squeeze your strong fingers into the grip. You do not hold the pistol with your strong hand.
    4. Lean slightly forward and extend arms fully like you are pushing the pistol away from you. Lock elbows. Really push hard into the shot. This is the ‘set’ position.
    Muscles are flexed, concentration is at 100%, one cannot hold this position very long.
    5. Grip pistol with weak hand like it owes you money.
    6. Pull trigger straight back and hold it there throughout the shot.
    7. Keep your eye on the target all the way from start of shot until 2 seconds
    after it goes bang. Now let off trigger or stop at reset. Just like hitting a baseball or golf ball, follow thru is most important.
    8. You are trying to hold the pistol so tight and steady that the only thing moving thru the shooting sequence is your finger and the slide. Not possible for most folks but that is the goal.
    9. Once you get this part correct, then add in sight picture and sight hold. Lots of shooters focus mainly on the sights and not on the part about holding the gun.

1FCFB0A1-0FE7-46D0-8722-7A2E97F0E593.png

Dcc65, 10or45, L-2 and 3 others like this.
  18. ScottR65

ScottR65

Depends on the sights and shooter's preference but many stock "combat" pistols are #3.

19. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

You aren't the first person who has difficulty with Glocks.
    Sight picture, finger placement on the trigger, smooth even pull on the trigger, and just fundamentals. I have a friend, and Deputy Sheriff, who has a tough time hitting a wall with one, from inside. He's a good shot with HK, FNP, and Ruger, but not a Glock.
    We can coach him in to it, but it's gone by the next range visit.
    Get a feel for it, get consistent with it, and despite what a lot of folks will tell you, the sights adjust for a reason.
    Despite all the well meaning advice that "worked for me", I would highly suggest putting no less than a thousand rounds through the gun before changing anything at all. By then, it is worn it, and needs to be, and so are you. Changes will be your preference and not a generic act that may in fact hurt the reliability.
    Oh, last thing, mastering a Glock won't do anything to hurt accuracy on other platforms, it may help, but won't hurt.
    Good Luck

Dcc65 likes this.
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The three fingers that aren't pulling the trigger, on your right hand, are milking the grip.

L-2 likes this.
  21. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Remember Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion.

“When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.”

Meaning?

Heavier, single action, hammer fired guns, like some steel framed Sigs, H&K’s, 1911’s, etc., are less susceptible to minute imperfections in shooting technique.

Lighter, striker fired polymer framed guns with 5.5lb triggers that cock the striker as part of trigger pull, move more when fired.

The weight/mass of the gun resists movement when the trigger is pulled. On a lighter gun, you have to resist that movement when the trigger is pulled. Not much mass to help you.

ScottR65 and Sechott like this.