close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Cannot Find Comfortable Shoes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I have tried to find comfortable shoes for work/walking for awhile now. I tried the New Balance 993, but the toebox was too narrow. They gave me an online credit, hassle free, and I tried the recommended 1540. The toebox isn't high enough and pinches.

I am at wits end! I'm having to walk in Merrell Moab Mids, as they are the most comfortable show I have.

I never had this tough of a time buying shoes I guess my feet are getting wider and taller, and my right foot seems worse.

I love to walk a couple of miles each day, so I need comfortable shoes.

So, I get to return the 1540, but all I get is a crummy store credit for no shoes that work for me. I tried most of the shoes that are online at the local store.

Frustrating, it is.

2. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Have you gone to a doctor just to have your feet checked? Pediatrist i think its called. I had to go since I kept getting cramps in the archs of my feet.. turns out I'm flat footed and he game me a list of recommended shoes and insoles. Give that a shot!

3. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Go barefoot, its what God intended.

I ran a 5k yesterday, barefoot. It was awesome and felt, well, natural.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Next time get the shoes at Zappos. I'm pretty sure free shipping both ways until you are happy. I tend to order 3-4 pair/size at a time and keep the one(s) that fit and look the best.

5. Jefs

Jefs CLM

6. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I'm in the same boat. I have most recently picked up a pair of 978GTs and they're great. They do run small so make sure you try them on. I measure at 10 1/2 EEEE and I had to get these in an 11 1/2 EEEE. Maybe that's your problem...you're ordering the wrong size.

Other good shoes for people with wide feet are the NB Dunhams, Tractor Supply CE Schmidt waterproof soft toe work boot, and if you need a dress shoe, Johnston & Murphy Pattison. I own all these and love them.

Greg

7. RayB

RayB Retired Member

12 - 13 EEE here, with arthritis and neuropathic pain for variety! I like to mix things up! :upeyes:

The fact is, I haven't been to bed since yesterday... :sadangel:

These guys carry quite a bit in wide sizes... They pay shipping both ways in the event of returns and exchanges, and they're super to deal with... :thumbsup:

So, you may as well try a few styles and size/widths, and return the ones that don't work for you! :dunno:

http://www.shoebuy.com/extra-wide-mens-walking-shoes.htm

http://www.shoebuy.com/extra-wide-mens-walking-sandals.htm

They actually even have socks to fit me--in colors other than white! Imagine... :shocked:

Good luck with this! :wavey:

--Ray

8. HexHead

HexHead

ECCOs have worked for me.

9. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

If you're talking athletic shoes, Asics GT21XX series works for me. I've seen them at Dicks, and most running stores will have that line. You'll not see them, I don't expect, at most non-specialized shoe retailers. You'll want an athletics retailer or a running store.

If not the Asics, you may find another solution by letting the folks at a running store evaluate your gate and stance and strike and take their recommendation. Different running/walking shoes are made for different strikes, whether you pronate, etc. The Asics I wear are a "stability" shoe designed for people who walk the way I do. Finding that is what helped me most. Also, I wear Orange Superfeet inserts for arch support, and they're worth every penny.

If that doesn't work, then try the podiatrist.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. Alcoy

Alcoy

+1.....

11. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Also, do Google "Shoebuy.com Coupons" and research a little... I got 20% off doing this, and Free Shipping from Duluth Trading, just last week! Took just a few minutes and was well worth it!

These guys have some wide-sized footware too:

Duluth Trading Co.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens-home.aspx

Love their Ballroom Jeans and FOM Shirts!

L.L. Bean

http://www.llbean.com/?nav=gn

A GT member referred me here last Sunday, and they had what I'd been looking all over for!

--Ray

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I used to wear Rockport's wing tips for dress... These were a wing tip sewn onto a premium walking shoe... Worth every pretty penny by the end of a busy day! :sigh:

--Ray

13. Taipei Personality

Taipei Personality

+2

Text added to make the message long enough.

14. nursetim

nursetim

MBT works for me and I have Fred Flintstone feet including the big toe curling up. The MBT line has effectively eliminated my hip and knee pain as well. They are spendy, so try to find a pair on sale, like a discontinued model. If they work for you remember, pay once , cry once. good luck

15. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Hmmm, I've been tempted by the 978 from Cabela's and was going to order a pair today in 10.5 4E. Maybe they're not made to a true 4E in 10.5. Are your size 11.5 too long?

The local Cabela's doesn't stock wide sizes. I suppose I could return to the local store and reorder if the size isn't right. I hate it when they can't size shoes consistently.

16. fx77

fx77 CLM

17. mingaa

mingaa

Insoles are as important as the shoes - possibly more. Go to a specialty store (NOT at the mall) and look for a seasoned employee. Have them check your pronation. If they recommend inserts, give them a try. Running shoes are not always the answer. They are designed to absorb shock. Forget anything with a heel. Dunham and Clarks work for me in the business casual area. I have a New Balance insert that corrects a good bit of my fot alignment. Both get replaced on a 6 month rotation and I'm way WAY more comfortable than I used to be. Spent thousands with podiatrists. Never found a good one. A guy in a shoe store with a pencil held vertically showed me what my problem was. BTW I still take tramadol for chronic foot pain BUT life is WAY better than it used to be.

18. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Seriously, check out some under armour tennis shoes. I've been wearing them for three years and I refuse to buy anything else. The neutral 'base' is perfect for me.

19. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I wear ADIDAS high tops, they are very comfortable worth every penny

20. KirkG

KirkG More Cowbell!