close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I can only have one!

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by xeojx, Mar 28, 2010.

1. xeojx

xeojx

Hey Guys! Here's the good news. I have a little tax money left over and have decided to buy an AK!!! Now here's the bad news...... I have only about $500 to spend. Ive done a little bit of research and found 2 that fit the bill. The wasr and a yugo m70ab2 underfolder. Now I know that the the yugo does not have a chrome lined barrel and that the wasr does. The yugo though, has a 1.6mm rec and the wasr im guessing is a 1.0mm. Both guns have straight sights (no cant) and good mag wells so no problem there. That being said..... If you can only have one which would you guys pick?
    thanks
    joe

2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

I'd probably go with the Yugo personally, they have a better rep for being well made. I despise underfolders though so it'd be a tossup, if you can find a good WASR it'll make a fine rifle as well.

3. xeojx

xeojx

thats the only real problem thats keeping me from jumping on the yugo. Im not sure how much Id enjoy shooting it with lack of a real cheek weld.

4. KaliJuan

KaliJuan

Love my WASR, easy to modify, shoots great, feels great :)

Attached Files:

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Personally, I'd pick up a nice condition MAK90. You can convert it to 922 compliance and add a standard stock when you get a little more money saved up. You'll have a much better rifle in the end, and it won't cost you much more.

6. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Get the YUGO. I Actually just ordered a Yugo underfolder. Can't wait to get it.

7. peaceful_guy

peaceful_guy

[commented deleted]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. jehu

jehu

This is the best advise. Get the Chicom and you will have a better quality fit and finish AK than either of the afore mentioned rifles.:whistling:

9. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

This is very true ... but shutup about it, they are getting harder to find. :supergrin:

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don't care all that much if the barrel is chrome lined or not - unless I was going to shoot a lot of corrosive ammo - most 7.62x39 is not corrosive.

IMHO it is one of those things many people think is important - focus on - think they must have - but in reality is no big deal and serves little purpose.

If I had two identical guns except for the chrome lined barrel - sure I would pick the chrome lined one it - but if I like the non chrome lined gun better I would buy it.

ymmv :dunno:

11. rem2429

rem2429

Personally, I'd buy the Yugo and a cleaning kit. Cheek welds are for target shooters. Real men shoot from the hip anyway. :whistling:

12. peaceful_guy

peaceful_guy

Another thing I can tell you about the Yugo underfolder (re: my one that works properly) is it is built like a tank. This has pluses and minuses: It feels like it will last forever and I don't have the slightest concern about continuing to fire it when it is literally smoking hot. If I had to shoot a thousand zombies and could only use one gun, I'd want it to be my Yugo.

However it is significantly heavier than my other AKs, to the point that my wife literally cannot shoot it - cannot control it, and she is no stranger to firearms. If you were planning to "add" anything to it, prepare to have one heavy beast to lug around.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I would suggest getting the Yugo and plan to wrap the stock in paracord.

Why not get the others.
    wasr has been hot or miss quality with Century. Canted sights, and general looks.

The Norinco, I always thought the Norinco was king until I saw the thread about broken bolts. Now......?

14. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I have never seen a Yugo that will not run.
    Since you have two, I assume you have swapped parts. Where is the issue?

15. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

Go Yugo.
    The cheek weld is more like a chin weld but doable with an underfolder. As RWBlue points out some paracord makes it work quite nicely.
    They are built like tanks in comparison to my other AKs.
    Fun with paracord>>>
    [​IMG]

Fun in the woods>>>
    http://firingsquad.us/albums/Nico-Personal/8_round_rapid_fire_test.mov

16. xeojx

xeojx

well is seems like the yugo is the way to go between the 2. As far as the norinco goes, all the mak90's ive seen recently seem to be going for $600+ and at that price range (which is out of mine) wouldn't it be better to spend a few more and get a slg21??

17. my762buzz

my762buzz

Are these Century International Arms Yugo's?
    That would be a big surprise. They are suppose to be contracted out.

As far as Norinco steel, I have yet to find any other AK manufacturing arsenal that uses the stainless-ish steel looking alloy they used on many carriers and bolts, or case hardened trigger parts which indicates mild low carbon steel. I spent a few hours on steel manunfacture websites and all I can gather until now is that stainless is less stronger than high carbon steel
    and and harder to work with and that heat treating stainless is not as easy.

18. peaceful_guy

peaceful_guy

HAH. I wish! no I have not swapped parts. I bought two and one of them has failure to feed or fire every four shots or so. What actually is happening is it will feed the next cartridge but the trigger is not cocked. I can't tell exactly why this is.

I have double cleaned it, checked the trigger assembly, made sure everything inside looks like the one that functions. A google search led to some info about certain Yugos having this problem and needing to be sent back to CAI. Some had problems with the feed area needing to be polished but as far as I can tell it looks like all my other AKs in that area. You have any idea of what else to try?

19. my762buzz

my762buzz

So the next cartridge is live and in the chamber but the hammer is not cocked
    which means it is pressed up against the bolt in the vertical position?

20. Reswob

Reswob