close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I broke my Glock 23. Help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -, May 14, 2002.

1. Guest

So much for Drastic Plastic.
    I was so intrigued by the looks and official Israeli military acceptance of the DEEP6COMP back strap channel insert I got one from Glockmeister. Actually I got two, one for my 17 and one for the 23. The 17 went in fine. When the time came for the 23 it was tight so I read the pamphlet and it instructed me to put pressure on the button while pushing it in. Well it went in with a snap. I thought I broke the the little tit that locks it in place, but no, the snap was my Glock 23 back strap splitting at the lanyard hole down to the end of the butt.
    No caution was giving in the pamphlet about the possibility of this occurring. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, however it would of been a nice idea.
    To say the least I am very unhappy. The gun is a newborn just picked up from the FFL one week ago.
    What is the deal now?
    Will Glock replace the receiver for me with the same serial number?
    Any help is appreciated.
    I will supply a pic when I get my camera back Thursday.
    I hate myself alot right now.

2. ButchC

ButchC 2 B 1 ASK 1

I'm not sure Glock will fix it under warranty since it was due to installation of a 'non-OEM' device. I am sure they would be happy to sell you a new receiver, but you will get a new serial number due to federal laws regarding that issue.

3. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

Put the channel insert back in halfway, opening up the "crack" just a bit. Then put a dab of superglue in the crack and remove the backstrap insert. The crack will close (hopefully) and you should have no trouble. Hopefully the crack was not too big.

4. noway

noway

You should have bought a Jentra plug. I have those in 4 Glocks and never had a problem. I would have never belive you could crack the receiver , but than other strange things have happen.

5. Guest

I will call Glock today and see if they will fix it. If they will fix it I am hoping they can duplicate the serial number.

6. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I wonder if you jammed a plug designed for the Glock 20/21 into the backstrap of your 23. I can't think of any other reason that the backstrap would crack. I always thought that the plug was useless; now I guess we know it's a good way to break your gun. ;f

If Glock does replace your receiver, the serial number will not match the barrel and slide, unless for some reason they decide to replace the whole gun. Technically, the s/n on the receiver is the only one that matters, though.

7. Guest

No, it is the right one.

8. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

At last, someone has found a use for the plug!!!

9. Guest

Called Glock, they will fix it no problem. New frame, new serial number also. About 6 weeks from now I will have it back. Live and learn.

10. noway

noway

{I wonder if you jammed a plug designed for the Glock 20/21 into the
    backstrap of your 23. I can't think of any other reason that the
    backstrap would crack}

For what it worth, the jentra just have one plug that fits full and compact frames alike. So I don't think that was the problem. The glockmeister own web site list all models are cover with the sub-compact needing some sort of recv modification ( of course the 29/30 has their own style plug )

I know it is a dumb question, but you didn't happen to buy a G29/30 plug and try to jam that into the channel groove?

11. Guest

The plug I have fits: 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,31,32,34,35 with slight modification models: 26,27,28,33
    See pic

12. dsk

dsk 1911 junkie

FWIW, I doubt that split would ever actually cause any problems further down the road. It ends at the lanyard hole, and that is as far as it can ever go (unless you take a drift punch and try to seat the plug further up in the frame :rolleyes: ).

13. Guest

Well, I sent the G23 to Glock today with a letter explaining my need for the slide and barrel number to match the new frame serial number. I'm hopeful they will accommodate me but only time will tell. As far as the actual split, I know it is only cosmetic and will more then likely never grow, but this is a new gun and I can't live with a imperfection on it even though it was self inflicted. I will report what Glock decides to do when I receive it back.
    On a happy note, I made myself feel a little better by buying a new Remington factory two shot magazine extension for my 870 Police Magnum from a vendor in SG news that Remington refuses to sell to anyone but LEO.

14. sgtf109

sgtf109

Not an OEM part no freebee for repair ! but hey live and learn you'll know better next time.

15. Guest

Just got off the phone with Glock. They will be more then happy to replace the frame for me free of charge, however they can not replace the slide and barrel so the numbers will match. I will now have a bastard gun. Oh well, at least they will fix what's broke for free, can't ask for more then that.

16. maxxx93

maxxx93

Given the choice between the minor crack you described, and a brand new pistol with mismatched serial numbers, I personaly, would rather live with the crack.

Did you even try to fix it? I think S. Kelly's idea might have been worth a try.

I just think the different numbers, could turn out to be a pain in the you know what, if a LEO ever asked to see the numbers or if you ever decide to sell or trade the pistol.

17. vinnier6

vinnier6

i believe you meant to say the numbers will not match...

18. Guest

Update:
    A message on my answering machine at home Friday was Glock asking for me to call them with a contact name and extension . When I called them they told me the "problem" has been taken care of. So, I said what would that be? His reply was "I already had gone and replace the whole gun with a new one so all numbers will match". Wow, this is after the same guy told me it is "impossible to do that" when I asked about replacing the whole gun so the numbers will match.
    Maybe he thought about it after he got off the phone, in any event I am a very pleased camper. Just another two weeks and she will be back home waiting for the Lasermax to go in.

19. BAT GUN

BAT GUN It's Plastic?

Damn,

Glock is a great company. You break the gun and they give you a new one for free!;a

20. EyeSpyPI

EyeSpyPI

It is great to see in this day and age, a company that truly go the distance when providing customer service.

This reminds me of a problem that was occuring on a particular model of Honda motorcycle. Honda for some time was ignoring that there was a problem until several hundred of members of the Shadow Riders Forum sent in our letters to one of the CEO's. Finally we had gotten the problem taken care of. Honda did loose some loyal customers over the situation.

Like everything else, Glocks can't be perfect. Its comforting to know that if I have a problem with my Glock, theres a darn good chance that it will be taken care of.

I knew the confidence that Glock has in their product, when my local armorer demonstated its strength, with a new Glock in the show case. I was with mouth wide open as he threw the gun 20' across the room onto the floor. He then broke it down, and ran a fine file across the barrel. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Can you ever remember a car salesman on a test drive, have you red line the engine?

Yes, I confess as others have... I used to think the ugly Glock was probably crap. Now, and especially after I have been out and shot my new G23. I not only think it is an awesome weapon, I think it looks great too!

Jeff, Glockaholic