close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I broke Firefox!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ERASER, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Apparently, I had an older version of Firefox (1.5.0.9?) still installed and I have been running Firefox 2.0 since it came out. This wasn't a much of a problem until now. Well, I started the browser using the same shortcut as always and was notified of a Firefox update. It seems that the browser that opened was the older version and it needed the update. After the update finished I went to Control Panel and uninstalled the older version (leaving the new version alone).

Well, the new version still runs fine, but none of the Firefox shortcuts that are on my desktop will work. Most of those were actually created while using the newer browser version. I just get a window saying that the computer needs to know what program to use. Firefox is not in the list and if I browse to the executable for Firefox, it doesn't seem to let me set it and Firefox never appears in the list. It also doesn't do anything if I opt to let it do a web search for the appropriate program.

I just dragged and dropped the web address of this page to my desktop.......it doesn't work either.

I have even tried installing version 2 again (just to be sure that the removal of the old version didn't remove vital files or change settings in the new version that I kept. That didn't seem to make a difference at all.

Is there any way to get the shortcuts to the websites to run?

I thank you, in advance, for your help.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Thank you, sir.

If I reinstall the older version and if that lets my shortcuts work again, what would be the proper procedure to use to remove the old version again and yet allow the new version to use the shortcuts?

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Well on mine I idn't run both 1.6 and 2.0 together.I did upgrade 1.5 to 2.0 and this allowed everything to work.Now uninstalling may lose your bookmarks and settings but that's the only way I know to get to having only one version.Try reinstalling the older version first.See if it's even going to work for you.Then you could uninstall the newer version then update the older version to the newer version.

5. MakinItWorse

MakinItWorse Gangsta!