I bought Hellcat with Shield optic

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by narkcop128, Feb 24, 2020.

1. narkcop128

narkcop128

I have not been a fan of red dots on handguns until now. I have no trouble picking up the red dot in the window. Its very fast on target and accurate. 20200224_075634.jpg

gh1138, TScottW99, B C and 2 others like this.
  2. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Nice. I have same gun with the Glass RMSc. Same result on the red dot. What have I been doing all these years without one?

3. MNBud

MNBud

I'm with you guys, I actually went with the J Point because I had one laying around. Very easy to pick up the dot. PC101098.JPG

4. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

OP, have a sincere question (not trying to be a S-A). How can "picking-up" a dot be as fast or faster than a standard front sight? I don't get it. :dunno:

5. narkcop128

narkcop128

If you don't "get it" I can't help you.

6. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Thanks for posting. Please keep us updated on your trips to the range, I am sure I speak for more than a few who are interested in hearing how the pistol performs with this optic setup.

7. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Not sure I understand the question, but I will try to give my $.02 anyway:
    If you present your pistol correctly and consistently, the dot will be in the window. You cannot miss it as it is bright and obvious. You will see it in any light condition, bright or dark, assuming your battery is good. If you do not align your pistol correctly, the dot may not be in the window and you will have to move the weapon or head so that the dot appears in the window. In my opinion, this is no different than using irons when not correctly aligned as you will be forced to adjust your your front sight with your rear sight if you have improper presentation. So for me, it's a push on timing. An unintended positive for me is that it forced me to work on my draw and proper form. It has improved my form and I am becoming a better shot.

gh1138, checkyoursix and -JCN- like this.
  8. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

While I have never had a red dot on a pistol, I probably should have spent the extra $30 for the cut, just to have it. That's a pretty good bargain.

J-Doo and glocker1 like this.
  9. pgg00

pgg00

My poor attempt at explaining. When we draw we are usually looking at the target (or threat). Now instead of shifting our focus to the sights (in traditional shooting we use 3 focal planes, target front sight and rear sight, and we can only focus on one at a time) we simply bring the dot into view. Once on target a simple trigger press delivers the round. Before we had to concentrate on sight picture, sight alignment, and trigger control. Now just trigger control.
    It is not going to be instantly faster but after practice it will gain on you.

gh1138, B C and -JCN- like this.
  10. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Thank you for the explanation. :cheers:

11. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Part of the speed is not having to align your sights. When I present my pistol I look for my front sight as always. The red dot will come into view long before I could get a sight picture with traditional sights. And as soon as I can see it, it is almost like pointing a laser.

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  12. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

pgg00, thank you for the explanation. I was doing one of my favorite drills yesterday - low ready - fifteen yards - 4" headshot (trying to keep par around 2 secs). I kept wondering if a dot would help on my G48. Right eye is getting a little "fuzzy". Perhaps it would! Thanks again. :cheers:

pgg00 likes this.
  13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

And other than dogmatic mythology, there's nothing stopping you from doing that with irons.

The only time a dot is going to be "faster" on the draw is to a target of sufficient tightness where the shooter feels more confident making a call a little sooner than he would with irons.

And for most people who study the issue, that's probably going to be at about the point they would transition from target to sight focus with irons, maybe just a bit further out.

14. B C

B C

Let's see some targets when you get a chance.

15. bac1023

bac1023

I don’t get them on a concealed carry gun, but to each their own.

16. pgg00

pgg00

My LT can't physically focus on the sights anymore without readers. Yet he doesn't require normal glasses. He went from barely able to qualify (basically point and shoot) to a near perfect scores just from the red dot. A game changer for him. Also it eliminates the need to do the head nod for those with bifocals.

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  17. narkcop128

narkcop128

I get iron sight blur but red dot is clear.

18. Steveo GMan

Steveo GMan

Same here.
    I have 200 rds of FMJ and 25 rds HST thru my HellCat so far with zero issues. Went with the Shield SMSc for an optic. Very happy with the over all package. Would like the trigger to be closer to a 5 lb pull but it diffidently is not a deal breaker for me.