Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story goes like this: someone modified this back when 1911s were a dime a dozen to be a bullseye gun. 1.7 million serial number puts the frame at 1944 for Remington Rand. Slide is marked Remington Rand. Everything is blued (is that correct?). The front of the grip has been stippled, the slide has been drilled for a pic rail, and the trigger has been modified. Otherwise it's a pretty regular 1911 from what I can see. Anyone recognize this pic rail? Says RRA on it, can't find it on the internet. I'd like to remove it and put irons back on. Anything else I should know? If my goal was to get a WWII era shooter for plinking with non-nuclear loads, did I win?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Heavily buffed and reblued shooter, these often shoot very well, but any semblance of collector value is lost. Trying to “restore” it is a losing proposition enjoy it for what it is sure removing the scope mount and putting sights on it is fine. Original early Remington rands we’re finished in du- lite a sort of dull unpolished blue ( nothing like what your pictures show) and later regular parkerizing

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
If I had that, I'd restore it and use it as a Bullseye gun. A lot of guys compete with guns that would be valuable collectibles in original condition. One guy on my team uses a pre-A1 1911, frame drilled for a scope mount, and it's a good shooter, etc. He and another were the high military 2-man team at the National Matches last year, beating out the Army Marksmanship Unit and other top shooters.

If I had that and didn't want a bullseye gun, I'd figure out as many details as possible (like what kind of slide rail, any known gunsmiths work on it, what kind of 50 yard group will it shoot, what barrel is in it, etc.) and then sell it, whole or in parts, to bullseye shooters.

The downside would be that compensator, which may hint that somebody tried to do a homemade USPSA gun and it's not suitable for that.

Does it have a very tight slide to frame fit and a very tight bushing to slide fit? Those might be indications it has been built into a good gun.

RRA= Rock River Arms, so the rail ("Bullseye Rib") is a good product. Not super expensive, but that's also an interesting looking design, like it has a built-in slide racker. Their current ones don't look like that.

Reactions: kahrcarrier

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I can see my reflection in this blue, and the markings on the slide are very shallow, so I agree that's it's been polished. No plans to restore it, just kinda resurrect it. Seller says it does shoot very well, barrel and bushing were fitted at some point in the past.

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
It's a war time pistol that has been refinished and modified; originally it would have looked like this:
0321201854a.jpg
with the low sights, Parkerized finish, plastic grips, short beaver tail, lanyard loop, etc....the color would have some variation, based on how long was stored in preservative grease and how it was used....

There was a time when these pistols were very common and could be had cheap, and it was common to modify them. Also, back in the day, a lot of competition shooters liked to use the Remington-Rand pistols as the donor frame for their comp guns vs the other surplus 1911's.

As someone else said, shoot it, enjoy it, and don't worry about trying to restore it.

·
19,067 Posts
Yeah, I can see my reflection in this blue, and the markings on the slide are very shallow, so I agree that's it's been polished. No plans to restore it, just kinda resurrect it. Seller says it does shoot very well, barrel and bushing were fitted at some point in the past.
Find someone who does Black manganese parkerizing, get rid of the rail, and plug the screw holes with carbon steel slotted headless screws*, grind them flush and stake then in from the inside and then have the slide and frame parkerized.

I recommend using genuine Colt parts except for a Wilson slide stop and Wilson bullet proof extractor. I'm assuming the 70 series extractor will fit Pre-70 series but you van contact Wilson to be sure. The extractor and the slide stop are the two most likely parts on a 1911 to fail.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extractors/products/42/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's hilarious Knox, and I almost did just to post a picture.

It does have some wings on it to assist in cocking it, almost like a nose-pinch AR charging handle

Barrel to bushing is tight, bushing to slide not quite as tight, but better than a kel tec. Slide to frame, also better than a kel tech. As this is the 2nd 1911 I've ever had in my hand, I most likely have no idea what I'm talking about.

This riser may be a little tall, but how's this?

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
JJ, that optic is set WAY too high. But if you can get used to it more power to you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I popped it off an AR as a joke. I've not tried a red dot on a pistol yet, still sticking iron sights for the time being

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
I love my RMR's on my Glocks, but am waiting for a version that truly fits on a 1911. I know there are tons of people that will mill my slide, but the current RMR's are too wide to be comfortable on a 1911. It won't be long until they come out with one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Last time I paid to have sights installed, cost me 60 bucks. Brownell's front sight staking tool costs 50, you all think I'm better off just getting that tool and a set of sights for it instead of paying someone to do it? I've got a Wheeler pusher for the rear.

Since someone has already drilled holes in the slide, would it be a good idea to open up the front site hole to accept a wide tenon?

I'd also be ok pinning the grip safety since the frame has also been modified?

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
It's abwar time pistol that has been refinished and modified; originally it would have looked like this:
View attachment 740504 with the low sights, Parkerized finish, plastic grips, short beaver tail, lanyard loop, etc....
I hope it would have looked better than that - that looks like a spray paint finish.

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
Find someone who does Black manganese parkerizing, get rid of the rail, and plug the screw holes with carbon steel slotted headless screws*, grind them flush and stake then in from the inside and then have the slide and frame parkerized.

I recommend using genuine Colt parts except for a Wilson slide stop and Wilson bullet proof extractor. I'm assuming the 70 series extractor will fit Pre-70 series but you van contact Wilson to be sure. The extractor and the slide stop are the two most likely parts on a 1911 to fail.
Seems like a lot of work to take a gun that only a bullseye shooter would want and turn it into a gun nobody would want.

·
1,266 Posts
Well it looks like it cleaned up nice. That will be a fun range gun.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Thanks for posting OP... What people do to guns is always interesting... Here’s my take... 1911’s are the old Harley Davidson 74’s of years ago...Knuckleheads, Flatheads, Panheads... Solid, rugged, and made to use... In the 60’s and 70’s, a lot of classic stock ones became choppers...Hey, it was fashionable then!! Seems that someone is always changing something basic on a whim.. I’d say that you’ve got somebody else’s whim but the old 1911/HD 74 is still there!! Make your own whim and enjoy it!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts