Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s just one of those weird finds.

I saw this pretty rifle hanging lonely on the wall next to a bunch of plastic furniture either tactical or high-tech hunting with fluted this and spiral that.

Upon inspection, it’s a Weatherby vanguard Camila. The vanguard is simply the Howa 1500 with the Weatherby name, and there’s nothing wrong with that. The Howa 1500 is an economical, simple bolt action rifle.

The Camila line was and is made for women in both the MKV and Vanguard families. The barrel is 20” with pencil profile. Slim hand guard, shorter stock, different cheek comb, higher grade of wood and fleur-de-lis ⚜ checkering.

If this gun was used, then it wasn’t used much at all. The checkering and the finish of the furniture were unmarred. Same thing with the bluing.

Two items that stood out were the marring where an optic was mounted before and a repaired crack of the wood on the right side.

The gun fits me - a short dude, well. Light and handy. The price was pretty darn cheap and it’d be a good gun for me to try out this newfangled cartridge called 6.5mm Creedmore. Not to mention that if one of my nieces who might want to get into hunting can either use it or be given it.

Now I gotta figure out what scope and mount to get. Probably Leupold rings & mount, and something 3-9x44 from Leupold’s VX3 line. Something that’s cheap but not too cheap, and lightweight to fit the rifle.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,468 Posts
Whats the difference between that and the old Winchester Featherweight rifles. Any more, I'm looking for a light 243 vs the 300 Weatherby Mk V I have.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,468 Posts
This one weighs in around 6-lbs. no idea about the Winchester.
If I can recall correctly, in the 80's, the Model 70 Featherweight was around 6 1/2 lbs. Now with the synthetic stocks, you could probably go to or maybe even under 6 lbs.

A Barrett Fieldcraft with scope is right around 6lbs.

After some long hikes and the advancing of time, I am realizing that weight is not your friend.

Reactions: Colt38SuperDude

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I can recall correctly, in the 80's, the Model 70 Featherweight was around 6 1/2 lbs. Now with the synthetic stocks, you could probably go to or maybe even under 6 lbs.

A Barrett Fieldcraft with scope is right around 6lbs.

After some long hikes and the advancing of time, I am realizing that weight is not your friend.
I plan on mounting a set of simple leupold ring mounts, slap on a simple 3-9X44 and call it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts