close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I beat back the money demons!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by zagzig, Jul 18, 2012.

1. zagzig

zagzig

1 Ohm 30 Amp Inrush Current Limiter = $6.42
    Overnight Shipping =$43.67
    Not having to pay $915.00 to the HVAC repair guy to swap out a motor control board and having the satisfaction of fixing it myself = Priceless!

I got home from a month long trip to find I had no AC. It was 90 degrees inside my house. I was so exhausted, jet lagged and hot that I decided to have the repair guy come out and fix it. The HVAC guy I used when I lived in my previous house told me I'd be better off calling a Bryant/Carrier specific repair guy. I have a unit with a variable speed DC motor and he said he didn't have the gear to troubleshoot it properly.

The Bryant guy shows up and did some tests while on the phone with a tech. They came to the conclusion that it was the motor control board. He didn't have one in his truck and would need to get one from the shop. He called with the price of $915 later in the day. I'm fairly handy and felt better after getting some sleep in the much cooler basement, so I told him I'd take a look at it first. I was able to find the control board in a housing on the back of the motor. In side I could see that a component was cooked and after searching online I found reports of similar problems. I desoldered the cooked current limiter and soldered in the new one. Success! Right now my house is on it's way to being back in the 70's.:dancing:

Now I just have to deal with the three uprooted trees in my backyard that were taken out by a severe storm we had a couple weeks ago. My brother-in-law cleaned a lot of it up already, but there is still a good day or two worth of work left.:faint:

2. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Good for you! I respect a persons profession but if I can figure out how to fix things, I do it. Those HVAC companies are definitely paid well.

On a side note: they pay for their license to practice their trade. So I understand.

3. Resqu2

Resqu2

We do have a lot of overhead to cover but dang that is just a rip off. I would hate to hear that bunch quote a compressor :faint: Glad he could fix it himself.

4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

That seems kind of high. I had a complete house install, from thermostat to wiring of a central air unit and new furnace for 2850. At 915 dollars, why not just replace the unit?

5. jph02

jph02

You fixed the control board? Nobody does that. That's why they're $915 each. Good for you. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. zagzig

zagzig

The same company did the install for the previous owner, the builder. He told me they had gotten to expensive and stopped using them. The posts I found where people had the same control board issue all received quotes in the $800s.

7. zagzig

zagzig

I know, I thought that was pretty outrageous, but it seems in line with what others were paying for the control board and install. The furnace is a Bryant Evolution 90i Plus and boasts a 96.6% efficiency rating so you'll save a bunch of money...until it breaks. :rofl:

8. zagzig

zagzig

Thanks! And, I earned some points with the wife. I see a firearms purchase in my near future.

9. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

I remember getting a quote north of $1000 for a new blower motor for my old house in Sugar Land. I told them to go pack sand. I pulled the squirrel cage and spent a couple of hours cleaning off the caked on dust (my renters never changed the filter) and it was as good as new.