I angered the reloading gods!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Dirk Pitt, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

I don’t know what I did to make them mad but I did. Loading 8mm Mauser on my Rock Chucker, first case went into resizing die no problem. The second one went in but did not come out. After inspection I had used the wrong shell holder. So my first stuck case with 40 + years of reloading. I knew my dad had a stuck case removal tool but I had never used it. First I found it and opened the box and all the parts in it were rusted my dad had stored it with some foam that was apparently wet. Spent the next half hour with the wire wheel and cleaned everything up. Then got to work on the case that took a while so about an hour and a half later I finally got it all out and the only damage was a broken decapping pin.
    After all that I just gave up and went in the house and watched TV. Went out today and finished all the reloading so it got done it just wasn’t yesterday that’s for sure. What a PITA.

orangejeep06, Intolerant and -JCN- like this.
  2. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Could you have done something like this where you raise the ram to a level where the correct shell holder could be simultaneously slid into the ram and capture the case like this?

[​IMG]

Then slid on as such.

[​IMG]

Bluescot, SBray, orangejeep06 and 5 others like this.

3. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I did that a few times then made a stuck shell remover for mine. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse, looked at the one RCBS sells and copied it. Easy Peasy. I like sticken it to the man!

Intolerant likes this.
  4. Dirk Pitt

I guess I could have done that, just didn’t think if it. I said it was a bad day. I took it all apart out of the press. Not sure it would have worked I did try at first a pair of channel locks which buggered up the rim pretty bad. Live and learn!

Taterhead and Intolerant like this.
  5. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

First stuck case after 40+ years reloading? Took me about 2 months.

blake711, Bluescot and Taterhead like this.
  6. oneofthose

oneofthose

I've had a few rifle cases stuck. Never a pistol case.

It's easiest to work with if you take the die out of the press and screw it back in from the underside, so the stuck case is facing up.

7. Dirk Pitt

UPDATE

It’s happened 3 more times now, I just don’t understand this. I’ve never had a problem, nothing changed it’s all the same so why am I getting all these stuck cases? I took the die completely apart, cleaned it put it all back together and it worked great for awhile then it happened again. I thought it might be one type of brass but I checked the head stamp, three different manufacturers.

I was so frustrated I just packed it up and went in the house before I threw it through the window!

8. tom mac

tom mac

any lube ?

BigBull 301 likes this.
  9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I have two 9mm resizing dies in my garage with the remnants of 9mm cases still stuck in them after the bottom of the case (rim and all) ripped off. With my third set of dies I didn't seat the brass as deeply. It was the first time in 30+ years of reloading 9mm that happened.

10. Bradley T

Bradley T

I forgot switch shell holders the other day too.

11. p.d.

p.d.

Well, you did your penance so you should be all square with the gods now.

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

8mm Mauser cases again? Correct shellholder? If yes to both, then insufficient lube would be my suspicion. You said you cleaned the die, so that would have removed any residual lube.

Is the case sticking and the rim id ripping off the shellholder?

13. Dirk Pitt

The 8mm Mauser worked with no issue, all the stuck cases were 30-06. All had plenty of lube, when I cleaned it out I did re lube the interior of the die before use. This particular case I tried vise grips on it first, that’s why it looks really mangled. 06700612-D0B8-4864-879D-A24999B4F160.jpeg

14. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

what lube are you using???

Taterhead likes this.
  15. Dirk Pitt

One shot spray. Which I have used on 1,000’s of rounds without an issue

1bigK likes this.
  16. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Me I would try a different lube. I'm not a fan of One Shot on rifle brass past .223.

tom mac likes this.
  17. Bluescot

Bluescot

I've stuck .223/5.56 cases before due to lack of lube and ended up buying a stuck case remover kit from RCBS. It works great and cuts down on the profanity. I had tried, before I bought the kit, to use the hot and cold treatment to no avail. I guess the key is right die, right shellholder, enough lube and it should work.

I did find a case where the above steps didn't work in reloading some 44Mag with the sizing die. I checked out all the above steps and everything was a go so, like you, I left the solution to the next day. I called up RCBS CS and explained the situation with the sizing die and they told me to send it in and they would have a look. About 4-5 days later they sent me back a carbide sizing die when I had sent them in my steel die along with a note that the die I had was off in it's dimensions!!!! Pleasant surprise and nice upgrade. I like RCBS.

Maybe sending the die back to the OEM and have them look at it to save some future glass breakage !!!!!

Taterhead likes this.
  18. Dirk Pitt

Thanks for all the great advice I proceeded with the cases that were already done and just loading those for now at least I can claim victory on 100 cases anyway. I realized in all the festivities I wound up bending the entire decamping stem so getting some new parts and go from there