close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Am The New Owner of a 2001 Harley Road King>Now what?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by ULVER, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

:sad: I really wish I wasn't. The man that became like my second father, passed away.

Today, a lawyer calls and tells me his most beloved item was willed to me: a 2001 Harley-Davidson Road King.:shocked: Hee said it was deep purple with silver trim, and had custom Indian fringe leather saddle bags, and lambskin seat covers. I take it, this isn't like a Moped scooter.

I haven't been on anything with two wheels, that didn't have pedals.;) I'm not so sure I am ready to learn, at 40-something.

I was just curious if these things lose value, like a car>? I'm told it's in excellent condition.

Just curious about thoughts on a Road King>? Thanks riders!

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I had a 2003 Road King and it was a great bike. Wouldn't make for a good starter bike if you decide to learn, but they're so friendly that it wouldn't take many miles on a smaller bike to be able to handle the RK confidently.

If you do decide to sell it: it's a popular model in the HD lineup, so there's lots of used ones out there, but there's lots of people looking for them. Not seeing the bike, and since you don't have any money in it, you could probably unload it real quick for between 11-12,000. There's so many out there that people are asking too much for that that range should stick out pretty good if you put it in Cycletrader.

3. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your loss...should have said that first.

Here's some real good information on the Road King:
    www.roadkingriders.com

4. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

yep the road king is part of the touring line of HD bikes,, and is the most popular selling bike the last 5 years running... if you dont want it.. somone will goble it up...

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

And if you don't want to learn how to ride then definitely get rid of it. I think that it would be a fitting tribute for the fallen that his vehicle is being ridden instead of being a garage queen.

BTW, if you don't feel like wanting to ride or learning to ride, by all means, don't let others force you into thinking otherwise. Motorcycling is a dangerous and unforgiving activity. Going into it half-assed gets you hurt or killed in a hurry.

But as far as learning how to ride at 40, that ain't no thang.;) Only a very selected few who either don't have the physical ability or the coordination to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Ridercourse is your friend if you were to want to get started. http://www.msf-usa.org

6. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Thanks guys for the thoughts... I won't even see it till close to next year. The lawyer did call back to tell me it's a Road King Classic .>???< Which might as well be Greek to me. :tongueout:

I will take the good & bad aspects of riding to mind, before I decide anything. :thumbsup:

7. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Road King Classic. I owned a 98. It has leather saddle bags, wire wheels and wide WW tires.

[​IMG]

8. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

9. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

Sorry about your loss.

I learned at 43. Had never been on anything with two wheels and pedals in many years. Decided it was time I saw what some of my friends said I was missing. Took the MSF class at a local comm. college, bought a very used HD Sportster and off I went. Put around 3000 miles on that bike and bought myself an almost new Sportster. Road it for over 12000 miles and traded it in on a new 2005 Road King Classic. Had 650 miles on it when I was cut off in traffic and woke up 3 weeks later with a dislocated spine and two broken collar bones.

Bike is all fixed. I'm almost healed back up also. Been riding the old Sportster to get my balance back and my confidence up.

Just be careful and have fun. Before you get on that bike make sure you want to do it for yourself. Take the MSF class and look into getting a beater (even if it's not a HD) to learn on.

One more thing get a helmet and leathers. Get your own and don't use his old stuff. Because a) the helmet should be replace every few years and b) the leathers he had he earned with the miles he put on the bike. I have no road rash or scars (other then what the doctors did to me). A leather jacket, boots and gloves are on me everytime I ride now.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

ULVER,

Also if you were to decide to take up on riding, BE CAREFUL with that bike. Lots of newbies think that Harleys and cruisers are good starter bikes because they don't go fast. WRONG!!!

They are extremely heavy and the cruiser riding position isn't all that amenable toward slow speed riding. Not to mention that they don't brake worth a damn. Or change direction quickly in an emergency. What I am saying is that they can kill you just as quick as a crotch rocket.

Yes, yes, I know, I know, the motor cops do wonderful things with cruisers in those parking lot videos, but they ain't beginners, if ya know what I mean.

I don't know what your financial status is but I would highly suggest getting a very used, very cheap bike to start learning on before taking that Road King out for a spin. MSF training is very good for beginners but it doesn't make you an expert. The MSF instructors are fond of saying, "Congratulations, you now know enough to be dangerous."

So, to ride or not to ride - that's one question. Once you answer that, we can help you with the rest.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Sorry you lost a friend. If I were you I would find a used $1500 bike to learn on and put the Road King up for a year or two. There probably isn't a worse bike for beginners. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

12. hdglock

hdglock

Two years ago I bought my first bike, an 04 HD Fatboy. I did take the MSF course and then started riding. The first day I went exactly .5 miles :supergrin: The second was 1.0 miles then 2 miles and kept progressing each time. Now its been 2 years and 21,000 later. If you do decide to ride be careful, pay attention especially to other motorists and have fun. :wavey:

13. mmsig229

mmsig229

Sorry for your loss. That's a sweet bike!!! Take the MSF class and learn (and drop) one of their bikes. Or buy a beater and ride it for a year. Subscribe to Cycleworld and Motorcyclist. Lots of good tips there to stay alive.

14. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I'm sorry for your loss Ulver. May your friend rest in peace.

If you're interested in learning to ride, don't let your age stop you. I learned at 53. I bought a Yamaha Majesty scooter, and logged 20,000 miles on it a year, and I hadn't ridden anything on two wheels with a motor, since the Nixon Administration. Or maybe it was Johnson's. Anyway it was a long time ago, and that was a Rupp mini-bike with a lawn mower engine.