close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I am SO shut off!!!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, May 28, 2007.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Well, so much for the super ghetto workout.

Over the past couple on months I've dumped over a grand into my basement gym.

Got a power rack, flat bench, standing calf press, two 300lb weight sets, plate tree, 5/8" chains, light (purple) bands, new cables for an old high/low pulley set up I had, and a few different attachment bars for it.

And saturday I bought a seated chest supported row unit.

Most of the big stuff came from Newyork barbells, which is my new best friend! You just can't beat them for bang for the buck!

So I AM DONE spending!

Luckily I had an incline bench kicking around, and adjustable spin lock dumbells a mess of standard plates buried in the basement.

I love lifting at home. It saves me gas money and driving time too. Its a pretty good basement set up, and I can use all the chalk I want, and my bands and chains without getting hassled. No to mention blast whatever music I want.

So now you know what I've been up to!
    ;)

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Sounds great Brad. I work out at home too. My setup is much more primitive than yours though.

How's your back feeling? How's the DL going?

Jack

4. proactive

proactive

Sounds like a really nice setup, Brad. I'll be carrying the SG torch for a while, but someday would like my own personal dungeon. Definitely post pics when you can.

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

My lower back is feeling better. I ended my last DL cycle 3 weeks ago with 385 for 3 sets of 3.

I took a week off, and that week somehow pulled something in my lower right trap. Its a spot that goes out every few months. It was pretty bad, and I couldn't lift my head up without major pain. So I decided to finally see a chiropractor and we're working on it. He thinks my pillow is too soft and my head is crooked all night. Its getting better though.

Last week I started my new DL cycle with 335 for 4 sets of 5. It was supposed to be 5 sets, but I was wiped out. It was right after breakfast (which is 1pm for me) and I usually lift at 5am after work. Its really odd, but now that I'm lifting at home everything feels VERY heavy.

I'm an insanely regimented person, so I think I just have to get used to lifting at home.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

My row unit should be here Tues or Wed, so I'll take pics when I have it together and the dungeon is complete.

7. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Its a dirty job, but someones gotta do it!

Carry the SG torch with pride. :thumbsup:

8. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

edit nevermind... linky no worky

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Ok, heres the pics.

Keep in mind this was a finished basement that turned into a storage room full of junk. So theres still some crap lying around.

I don't know how to post multiple pics, so I'll post one at a time.

[​IMG]

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Here's the power cage, and a spare mountain bike, LOL!

[​IMG]

11. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

My brand spankin new row machine.

[​IMG]

12. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Another angle of the row machine.

[​IMG]

You PL guys will notice chains, bands and a squat box hidden in each pic. Theres even an old vertical leg press machine in the 3rd pic I think, but its retired.

Ah, home sweet home! The basement is my new favorite room.

13. proactive

proactive

14. DBradD

DBradD

:banana: :banana:

An awesome setup, but I think you're right: fired from the Ghetto Club!

Hey, one thing I thought of while looking at your pics. I had a lamp without a shade like that in my Ghetto Gym (LOL, I'm still in the club! :tongueout: ). Our dog knocked it over and broke the bulb. I've been sweeping and vacuuming for a while now and still find little pieces of glass on my rubber mats about every workout--not cool when doing burpees!

15. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

LOL!

I took the shade off the lamp so it looks more ghetto. ;)

I love that new row machine. I even used my bands on that too.:banana:

16. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice stuff, BCR. Your pic reminds me that I have to go find a junk yard and see about getting some chains.

I like that squat box. Now I'm thinking of making a plyo box with lumber rather than the plywood design (from CrossFit).

17. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I was thinking the same thing.

I was trying to figure out a way to make it adjustable, like make a 20" box (just for an example) and then make multiple 4" or 6" sections that could sit on top to raise the height.

I just wasn't sure how to secure the boxes together. My original plan was to get some 1/4" metal rod and cut into 3" lengths. Then drill corresponding holes in the tops and bottoms of the box sections and just slip the pins in vertically between the boxes.

Sounds like it should work, no? My only issue was making sure the holes lined up perfectly.

The boxes would probably be ok just sitting on eachother, but if they slipped or I missed a jump it could be painful!

Let me know if you have a better idea.

18. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Boy, we're thinking the same way - I want to make the height adjustable as well - and building it with plywood, with the 10 degree angle won't allow it to be adjustable as well.

I won't be able to find the picture that I saw I bet, but here's the idea....

Build a 20" box similar to yours. Build a shorty 4" or 6" box, or whatever height you want. The picture I saw used (and I won't know the name of this thing) clasps like what they would use on a tool box to lock the top to the bottom. The clasps should be readily available at any hardware store. Use a pair of clasps on each side holding the top to the bottom (total of eight clasps), and it should do the trick - readily adjustable and very secure.

For extra security, you can always build it such that the top and bottom fit together like Legos - flush on the outside but interlocking on the inside. I hope that makes sense. That's how I am thinking of building mine.

If I find the pic, I'll let ya know.

See this link..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Tool+Boxes&pid=00965337000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

19. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Great minds think alike!

I understand what you are saying to hold the boxes together. That really is a good idea.

To be honest though, I like my pin idea a little better, only because it will make stacking the boxes (on their sides) easier for storage.

I just remembered I have a 1/8" drill bit that is 12" long. I can use that to drill all the way through the top boxes and into the lower boxes, to guarantee the holes for the pins line up. Then I can enlarge the holes to 1/4" and only make them as deep as need be for the pins.

Plus, a 3 foot 1/4" metal rod is only a few bucks. The pins only need to be an inch or two long. If you have multiple box levels, all those clasps will add up since you will need four packages per side.

Just my 2 cents!

20. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

To make pins line up, just make a little jig out of some scrap plywood or 2x4. The jig can butt up to the corner of both top and bottom boxes, with a pre-drilled hole in it, which will mark the hole you need to drill for it to line up.

I might very well use your pin idea to make the tops and bottoms inter-lock, only I will probably use wooden dowel rods.

I understand what you are saying about storage on it's side and not using the clasps. Since you mentioned the storage thing, I think I am going to put the clasps on the inside of the box, since it will be hollow and accessible. And it will have a cleaner look.

In terms of the numbers of clasps, I don't think you would need that many. 4 clasps, maybe even 3 clasps, per level should be plenty if you are also using pins. Gravity will be doing most of the work holding the boxes together. I just like the idea of the clasps so there is no chance of it separating while jumping on it, and so it doesn't wobble around or feel unstable.