Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It only took 18 years BUT as of yesterday, I FINALLY reloaded 100 rounds of 9x19mm in preparation for a range day today. I used the Lee handheld tool and dies that I bought 18 years ago, set out the RCBS 502 scale and trickler that my wife gave me back then, pulled out some of the 9x19mm brass that I had tumbled, resized and primed about 16 years ago, and then grabbed the RAMSHOT ZIP powder and Win. 124gr FMJ bullets that I hoarded about 3 years ago. A couple hours later, I had 100 rounds made up and ready to go for today... and got the kitchen table cleaned up before the wife got home. :supergrin:

Did I mention that I have had most of my stuff for 18 years? :embarassed: That includes the manuals, so that wasn't too helpful. Online, I only found info at Ramshot's sight for the 124gr bullets and then that was confusing, because of the 4 124gr loads they listed, none were FMJs AND the data didn't make sense. Here is what they had in their manual:

RAMSHOT ZIP.......... Min... Max... COAL
124gr Hornady XTP / 3.2... 3.7... 1.060
124gr Rem. GB / 3.9... 4.6... 1.145
124gr Speer GD / 3.7... 4.2... 1.105
125gr Sierra JHP / 3.0... 3.8... 1.035

So I played it overly-cautious and simply went with 3.7gr, 3.8gr and 3.9gr (and a COAL of 1.103) - I didn't want to tempt fate on the first go-around. :whistling:

Anyways, here is the outcome (sorry, no pictures - it was too cold, wet and windy to be a good day but I couldn't let that stop me from trying my reloads):

* I did NOT blow up either gun. :supergrin:

* The old primed cases worked just fine after all these years - there were no hangfires or high primers, and after some cleaning, will be ready to load again.

* The G17 functioned OK with the 3.7gr loads, but the brass was just rolling out the side. It fired the 3.8gr and 3.9gr with no issues, although they felt like shooting a .22.

* The G34 did NOT like any of the loads. The 3.7gr would only eject the brass 50% of the time and even then, the slide did not travel far enough back to pick up a fresh round; the other times it would either pinch the rising cartridge or would actually load one (on 2 shots out of 20 :faint:). The 3.8gr was a little better and the 3.9gr only hung up once (out of 10 rds).

I have sent an email to Ramshot to see what data they may have for the 124gr FMJs (I should have done that first but when I realized that I could finally sneak a range day in, I decided to proceed with caution - and got the powder-puff loads to show for it) and once I get that, I'll see how close I was. Now to get some up-to-date manuals, dust off the Lee Challenger press, warm up the garage and work up some more loads for next time... This is fun. :cool:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Congratulations! I just became a reloader today too! I'm just waiting on my official badge from Fred. :tongueout:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It only took 18 years BUT as of yesterday, I FINALLY reloaded 100 rounds of 9x19mm
Wow that's only around five rounds a year, you don't shoot much. :tongueout: :rofl:

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

·
2,950 Posts
Without checking any load charts/manuals, I do notice a consistancy with the four loads you listed. Look at the COLs. The longer COL is listed with the highest charges, providing more volume in the case behind the bullet. The shorter COL loads are the lightest of the loads listed.

While this helps to explain the differences in the four recipes, your particular bullet profile in your barrel(s) will determine the maximum COL you can use, outside of the magazine limitation. I load my 115 FMJs out to 1.14 - 1.15 and don't see why you can't do the same. Try to gain the maximum case volume, or at least as much as you can.

You are smart to contact Ramshot to see what they recommend. BTW, it may help them further if they know what make bullet are you using, or at least the bullet OL.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Isnt it great! I now find myself selling small batches of JHPs and FMJs that I had saved just because I like the reloads!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats, thats awesome! Maybe I will get into that some day, but for now with the kids keeping me busy enough I will have to make due with factory ammo!

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that's only around five rounds a year, you don't shoot much. :tongueout: :rofl:

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
:supergrin: That is pretty true. I did shoot close to 200 rounds yesterday, with the majority being 9mm (a little .40 & some .38 too) - but that is the first time that I have made it to a regular range in 6 months (I did get to the Conyers GSSF shoot last year, so I expended a little there too - but being a lost brass match, :crying:).

Without checking any load charts/manuals, I do notice a consistancy with the four loads you listed. Look at the COLs. The longer COL is listed with the highest charges, providing more volume in the case behind the bullet. The shorter COL loads are the lightest of the loads listed.

While this helps to explain the differences in the four recipes, your particular bullet profile in your barrel(s) will determine the maximum COL you can use, outside of the magazine limitation. I load my 115 FMJs out to 1.14 - 1.15 and don't see why you can't do the same. Try to gain the maximum case volume, or at least as much as you can.

You are smart to contact Ramshot to see what they recommend. BTW, it may help them further if they know what make bullet are you using, or at least the bullet OL.
Good point on the bullet profiiles - I probably should have tried to look up each of those actual bullet lengths and back of the COL to see how deep they were set. I wound up using a cross between the Ramshot data and the Hodgdon FMJ data (1.090) for my COL. Good point on the actual bullet COL - I did let them know that they were the Winchester 124gr FMJs but I don't think I specified that they were the open base vs. the fully enclosed ones.

Congrats, thats awesome! Maybe I will get into that some day, but for now with the kids keeping me busy enough I will have to make due with factory ammo!
I hear you. That's one of the reasons that it took me so long to actually do it (even though I have had the supplies forever). I took this week as a vacation week and when cleaning the garage, the reloading supplies beckoned me to play. When you don't have the little ones running around and the house is nice and quiet, you can actually settle down and enjoy it.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll let you know what Ramshot says and then give another update my next range day (which hopefully won't be another 6 months away).

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
Did you weigh those powder charges or go by the Lee dipper chart? The dippers often throw lower charges than stated, a safety issue I am sure. Congrats! You have found one thing out about semiautos, most will not run 100% on starting loads. I always come up off the starting data 0.1-0.2gr or go for average middle data form 2-3 sources. Then yo ucan work the loads up or down form there. I also applaud your choice opf powder for a newb. At least you didn't get talked into evil TG.:tempted:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I vote we should make Fred the official Anti-Spokesman of Titegroup lol. Njanear welcome to the club, I have to agree with fred on kudos to you for starting out slow.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,186 Posts

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
I think he already is.
It's my mission in life.:horsey: SOme crusade against liberals, well I do that too, & some against govt, well I do that too, but the real evil in the world is TG. They put some sort of mind altering chemical that makes people keep using it. I believe if you look at the ingrediants in cigerettes, TG is in their too.:tongueout:

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
All smokeless powder should be banned! Real shooting involves black powder, preferably ignited by a piece of flint.

Do it for the children!

Jack

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,186 Posts
All smokeless powder should be banned! Real shooting involves black powder, preferably ignited by a piece of flint.

Do it for the children!

Jack
So send me all of your smokeless powder and primers.:supergrin:

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you weigh those powder charges or go by the Lee dipper chart? The dippers often throw lower charges than stated, a safety issue I am sure. Congrats! You have found one thing out about semiautos, most will not run 100% on starting loads. I always come up off the starting data 0.1-0.2gr or go for average middle data form 2-3 sources. Then yo ucan work the loads up or down form there. I also applaud your choice opf powder for a newb. At least you didn't get talked into evil TG.:tempted:
Don't laugh - but I scooped each load into a .3cc Lee dipper (which was throwing right ~3.6 when leveled, placed it in the pan on my 502 scale and then used the powder trickler to get the exact weight. Probably a little too meticulous and thus why it took so long to get 100rds loaded. :embarassed:

I also have some True Blue, Unique and 800X (for the 10mm) waiting in the wings for the next go-around - no TG yet (or Black powder, GiaoJack ;). Now to get to work depriming and resizing that 1K of .45GAP once-fired brass - and then finding some decent inexpensive bullets for that. :whistling:

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,186 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the reloaders-addiction-therapy..., er I mean, club! :whistling:

Now where's that TG when you need it? :duel:
Reminds me I need to get some more.

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, just got an update from Ramshot (Johan L.) and he stated that with the bullets I have, he recommended 3.7gr as the start load and 4.2gr as max. (modeled after the Speer Gold Dot load). Now to work up some at 4.0gr and 4.1gr and see if I can get the G34 interested in them. :supergrin:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
18 years? I thought I was unmotivated when I'd rather take a nap than reload.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts